TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cape Canaveral Cruise Parking

Discussion in 'Florida' started by mgodfre3, Sep 29, 2014.

1. mgodfre3

mgodfre3 Member

Im going on a Disney Cruise in a few weeks and own a S60. I was looking at driving and parking at the cruise terminal, and doing the math was thinking I might be cutting it close going to the Cape, parking for 3 days, driving to KSC for the last day then back home to my South Orlando home. Im wondering if anyone knows of a good suggestion for cruise and charge parking? Maybe park at one of the hotels that offers charging and shuttle service to the cruise terminals, or maybe someone has found a 110v outlet at the Port Canaveral garages? Just curious what others have done. I saw Port Orange but that is 60 miles north and the wrong direction. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Tgiddy

Tgiddy Member

I am in the same "boat" as you were a few months ago. What was your final solution for charging at the port?

3. Tgiddy

Tgiddy Member

OK. So, I'll answer the original and my own question... There are three parking options for Port Canaveral
    1. Park-N-Cruise (Park N Cruise- Port Canaveral Parking. Only $8.99 per day.) which says they can park your car near their building which can provide you a trickle charge (110v @ 12a). This should be more than enough since you are likely to be parking for at least 3 nights (3 miles per hour x 72 hours = 216 miles = plenty).
    2. Park Port Canaveral (Port Canaveral Cruise Parking $5.95 per Day) which has no parking spots near any building and so there is no option to charge at this lot.
    3. At the terminal itself. According to the Port Authority official policy there are no EV charging locations. However, I parked in the Disney garage and found a 110v outlet in the garage on the side near the elevators/handicap parking (there are no outlets in the "preferred" outside lot - besides the garage provides shade which is probably better for your car battery anyway). The couple of spots right next to the handicap spots in the garage could reach the outlet with a long extension cord (even the handicap spots would require a short extension cord). I keep a 50' cord in my car all the time and this worked for me. Again, 3 miles per hour of charge is enough since your car will be parked there for a long time. Keep in mind that although this worked for me and that it is not specifically prohibited, this is an un-official use of the outlet and if you try it you just might find some sort of citation on your car when you return or, worse, that it's been unplugged.
    Good luck and happy cruising!

4. Tgiddy

Tgiddy Member

The official stance of the port is "there are no EV charging spots." But there are regular 110v outlets in the garage near the elevators (at least at the Disney terminal - and I asked if I could charge up and the staff said "sure"). If you have a long enough extension cord you can trickle charge - I keep a 50 ft cord in my frunk along with the UMC.

5. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

If you have a CHAdeMO adapter, plugshare shows a charging site close to the cruise terminal.

6. wolfson292

wolfson292 Architect

Any further updates on cruise terminal parking. I have a call into ParkNCruise, but no response as of yet. Have to plug in as I can't make it To/From Port St Lucie charger without it.