Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Capital Grille Getting Tesla Chargers Nationwide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I was having lunch with clients yesterday at The Capital Grille in Cherry Hill, NJ. We were talking about Tesla. The waiter said they had a meeting that morning and it was mentioned that all locations are getting Tesla chargers.

He said "Supercharger " but he may have been using that term generically.

We shall see.

• Informative
Reactions: Dax279 and Macbest
I was having lunch with clients yesterday at The Capital Grille in Cherry Hill, NJ. We were talking about Tesla. The waiter said they had a meeting that morning and it was mentioned that all locations are getting Tesla chargers.

He said "Supercharger " but he may have been using that term generically.

We shall see.
Interesting because HPWCs wouldn't do too much over the course of a hour or two dinner/lunch. Wonder if they do have a SuC deal?

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into your waiter's info, you can be fairly certain that a destination HWPC and not a SpC would be the units to be installed

FWIW: here in JAX the place where the capitol grille is located has blink chargers and if you don't mind walking a bit the tesla store has 6 chargers, some might even be available to use.

On one hand, the more locations for charging the better, but I would rather concentrate on destinations where I would spend at least 3-4 hours, like museums, national parks, ski resorts, even amusement parks so when I'm ready to leave, my car can be charged enough to get back home without needed to stop and supercharge.

When I drove a LEAF, I would plan my stops around charging, but with a tesla it's not as important. I think restaurant chargers only work for areas between superchargers or where they are sparse.

• Helpful
Reactions: HookBill
Destinations or trip last leg end points have been the only cases for using HPWCs during my travels.

Examples of such places include Bar Harbor,
Maine and Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.

Even these locations as well as Key West,Florida have been ameliorated somewhat by nearby SCs (e.g., Savannah, Georgia and Marathon Key.

Plenty of work yet to be done at the margins, however. For example:

Tombstone and Bisbee, Arizona, the latter of which being a mile high similar to Denver.

All southern Ports of Entry once the Mexico exclusion is lifted - which you would think would be soon as the Mexico SCs march north and west. Today, venturing into Mexico voids your warranty, and good luck finding car insurance that pays US shop rate in excess of $50/hr. This is a shame in part because SCs at PoE would open up destinations within Tourist Zones including Ensenada, Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point), Guaymas, and so forth.

National Parks have some work yet - see the Grand Canyon for starters.

And lest we not forgot Elon’s promise to open up the Great Frontier with SCs along the Alaska Highway “in a couple of years from 2015 or 2016, yeah. Progress there has been exactly zero so far.

So yeah, while they’re infilling Nebraska and Wyoming, there’s some work yet to be done at the margins - and these are margins with a lot of traffic. The San Ysidro border crossing (south of San Diego, which opens up Baja del Norte (itself the home to hundreds of thousands of expatriated Americans) is the busiest land crossing on the planet by vehicular volume.

In the meantime, it’s nice to see forward-thinking businesses at these endpoints differentiate themselves with HPWCs, both locally and within the Nav for all to see. They do put the destination in Destination Charging.

Interesting because HPWCs wouldn't do too much over the course of a hour or two dinner/lunch. Wonder if they do have a SuC deal?

I beg to differ.

While you might not be willing to stoop to something as horribly slow as L2 charging, I can gain a lot of benefit over an hour or two connected to an 80 Amp HPWC, thank you very much.

Bring 'em on!

I beg to differ.

While you might not be willing to stoop to something as horribly slow as L2 charging, I can gain a lot of benefit over an hour or two connected to an 80 Amp HPWC, thank you very much.

Bring 'em on!

My 2014 Model S 60 didn't have supercharging. There were a couple of trips where I only needed about 20 miles buffer for the round trip. We stopped at a restaurant with 40A HPWC and it made the trip that much more doable. So, while HPWCs at restaurants don't work for extremely long trips, they are great for a quick range boost while having a meal and sometimes all that is needed.