TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Capped regen even at below 90%

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by metafor, Dec 10, 2013.

1. metafor

metafor Member

So it's getting colder in the bay area these days and perhaps that's the reason but I've noticed lately that my regen is capped at ~30kW or so nowadays (seems inconsistent) at various battery charge levels. Previously, it'd only be capped if I was at 100% or close -- which made sense, you can't charge a battery at 100%.

Now, I've gotten it at 50%, 90%, 80%, etc. I try to use the regen brakes almost all the time in order to reduce wear on the brakes as well as maximize energy efficiency. So this is particularly annoying for me. Is this an effect of the colder weather? v5.8 software? Both?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It's the cold weather we've had for the past two weeks. A bit unusual for early December in this area but not unheard of.

3. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

When I get a Model X this will be a big and strange change for me. My Volt does normal regen at any SOC (i.e. morning at 100%(aka 87%)) and seemingly any temp as it worked last night at 3F.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

How can a Volt provide regen at 100% SOC?

5. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

The cold definitely zapped efficiency from our MS. It was getting into the low 30s last night and as I was driving home we were getting into the 450Whs even while driving just 40mph. I pre-heated the car for 30 minutes prior to driving as well.

6. strider

strider Active Member

Just set your charge timer to start later so it will finish charging closer to when you plan to leave*. That will have the battery warmed up and regen will work as normal.

*I wish Tesla would give us "departure-time" charge scheduling to make this simpler. The RAV-4 has it and it's a Tesla drive train/electronics so it must be possible.

- - - Updated - - -

He means 100% in what we would call "standard mode", hence the "aka87%"

7. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

double check that you are not in low regen mode.. I forgot I had set it to low once during a snow storm.

8. voidptr

voidptr Member

My experience seems to show a crossing point where as the temperature drops, the Wh/mi goes up as you drive slower. The energy draw apart from the drive train to warm the car goes up is constant in time, not distance, and it becomes significant the colder it is. If you're doing highway speeds, the pack does a better job of keeping itself warm, while the heater's only switched on for 60s/mile instead of 90s or 120s/mile.

9. metafor

metafor Member

Interesting, I guess I never experienced cold weather with my S before, but I've never seen this happen prior to 5.8...

10. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Both. 5.8 (or 5.6, perhaps 5.0) is more aggressive with limiting regen when it's colder. I've had regen limitation showing when it's as high as 50F outside. Last winter it had to be more like 40F.

11. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Isn't the cold regen limit orthogonal to SOC (as in it depends on the temperature, not the SOC)?

I would also like to point out the Bay Area has seen record cold temperatures in the last couple of days.

12. GDH

GDH Banned

My regen was completely disabled this weekend when it was in the teens and boy did that suck having to use the brakes constantly.

13. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I saw regen limitation below 100% SOC for the first time a few weeks ago when we got to the low 50's as well.

14. rlang59

rlang59 Member

Yeah I started noticing the regen limit when it started to be in the 50s.

15. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Correct. As well I think they use the two motors (without ICE on!) in this way as described by a GM person (on gm-volt)

Again when I get a Model X this will be a big and strange change for me.

16. strider

strider Active Member

Ah, never knew that about the Volt. Thanks for posting!