Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Capture the Flag - Stars and Stripes in Space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday NASA/SpaceX put out a press invite for media signups to view the launch of DM-2. Although no longer May 7th, they're still looking at May. Included was this statement, "NASA and SpaceX are currently targeting no earlier than mid-to-late May for launch."
There's been no official announcement concerning an extended mission stay onboard the ISS, but it does seem likely. Here's some evidence. Bob Behnken has been practicing EVA's in Houston's Neutral Buoyancy Lab. Already experienced, while constructing the ISS he performed six spacewalks during two Shuttle missions. Doug Hurley has been working with the simulator for the ISS robotic arm. Almost needless to say, with the ongoing pandemic these guys are following strict precautions. They'll also be quarantined weeks before launch.

Most of us are wiped out with our launch predictions. This contest looks like it could down to a dogfight between @Cosmacelf and @adiggs, @dkemme going long. Good luck to all!

Almost needless to say, with the ongoing pandemic these guys are following strict precautions. They'll also be quarantined weeks before launch.
Yet another factor that is pushing out the launch date. A two week quarantine before launch would be the bare minimum needed, in my opinion. There are case reports of asymptomatic people who tested positive and then developed symptoms more than three weeks after the test. It’s not common, but it is possible.

It would be catastrophic for the ISS to have a COVID-19 case onboard.

Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal
Yesterday NASA/SpaceX put out a press invite for media signups to view the launch of DM-2. Although no longer May 7th, they're still looking at May. Included was this statement, "NASA and SpaceX are currently targeting no earlier than mid-to-late May for launch."
There's been no official announcement concerning an extended mission stay onboard the ISS, but it does seem likely. Here's some evidence. Bob Behnken has been practicing EVA's in Houston's Neutral Buoyancy Lab. Already experienced, while constructing the ISS he performed six spacewalks during two Shuttle missions. Doug Hurley has been working with the simulator for the ISS robotic arm. Almost needless to say, with the ongoing pandemic these guys are following strict precautions. They'll also be quarantined weeks before launch.

Most of us are wiped out with our launch predictions. This contest looks like it could down to a dogfight between @Cosmacelf and @adiggs, @dkemme going long. Good luck to all!

That 6/2 date is starting to look really good, though not perfect.

I was hoping to be badly wrong, but .. Elon Time. Stirred with a heaping helping of NASA and Government Time. Maybe that's not so bad at all.

Reactions: e-FTW
Okay, there's a lot here that sounds familiar. Does Eric follow SpaceX threads on TMC? :)
Nine years ago, SpaceX called its shot on capturing the flag
Quote: “President Obama had a mixed record in spaceflight. He sought to push NASA away from large, lumbering, and expensive exploration programs into something more futuristic. Less time spent building big rockets—let the private sector do that—and more work on cutting edge technologies. But he and a Congress intent on keeping jobs in their districts never saw eye to eye on this, so the agency sort of drifted. What Obama did successfully push through, however, was initial and sustained funding for commercial crew.”

Reactions: Grendal and e-FTW
Congrats. I believe you are the winner!

Anyone know if they had a little capture the flag ceremony today on the ISS? I didn’t see one. Maybe when they get set to return?
I haven't seen any video evidence of a ceremony yet, although if Doug had looked up (down?) he could have also bumped his head on that US flag! Maybe it'll be a low key event so as not to rub it in. I'd agree that today we have a clear winner.

I just want to thank my mom, and my family;, and my cats. Its wouldn't be possible without all of you.
:p

Congratulations to steely-eyed missile man @adiggs. He, having chosen a flag capture date of 6/2/20 (pretty darn close!), has demonstrated a keen sense of rocketry knowledge and true mastery of Crew Dragon!
It appears the promised gift donation will be a minimum of $150.00. For those of us willing to contribute, please name your charity.:)

• Love
Reactions: e-FTW
I haven't seen any video evidence of a ceremony yet, although if Doug had looked up (down?) he could have also bumped his head on that US flag! Maybe it'll be a low key event so as not to rub it in. I'd agree that today we have a clear winner.

Congratulations to steely-eyed missile man @adiggs. He, having chosen a flag capture date of 6/2/20 (pretty darn close!), has demonstrated a keen sense of rocketry knowledge and true mastery of Crew Dragon!
It appears the promised gift donation will be a minimum of $150.00. For those of us willing to contribute, please name your charity.:)
Congrats adiggs, name your charity!

Woohoo! I'm willing to admit that I picked that date almost out of a hat (wife's birthday - seemed like a good idea :D).

And I'm really happy SpaceX made it first. It's also occurred to me that if Boeing doesn't get there soon, SpaceX is going to be sole source supplier, and might be flying a lot of crew missions while Boeing is getting their stuff together.

Anyway, we're big fans of the World Wildlife Fund (Donate + Protect Nature | World Wildlife Fund).

Thanks!