Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Capture the Flag - Stars and Stripes in Space

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nikxice

Oct 31, 2014
Hudson, NH
I can't speak for everyone here, but I'm pretty excited about the next year in Space. Some background. Long forgotten or perhaps unbeknownst by many, there is a special U. S. flag waiting to be claimed by the first commercial crew that docks with the ISS. That flag, measuring 12" by 8", was one of hundreds flown on the first Space Shuttle mission, STS-1 in 1981. This particular flag flew once again in 2011 on the last mission, STS-135, where it still resides. It will be brought back to earth by the next crew to launch from American soil. In 2011 the contending companies receiving initial funding from NASA for their Commercial Crew Programs were SpaceX, Boeing, Sierra Nevada, and Blue Origin. The target date for the first crewed launches was not expected to be any later than 2016. Time does have a way of changing things. What's stayed the same is the competitive nature of the astronauts representing the two finalists, SpaceX and Boeing. STS-135 was commanded by Starliner's civilian astronaut, Chris Ferguson. Doug Hurley has has been training for SpaceX's DM-2. He was also the pilot on STS-135. The flag capture idea was Ferguson's back in 2011. He wants it badly. All in good fun, Hurley is intent on ruining his day. After learning of the flag capture challenge in 2011, SpaceX posted on Twitter, "SpaceX commencing flag capturing sequence..."

2020 looks to be the year, but who wins and when? If anyone wishes to play by coming closest to naming the winning company and date, I'm offering 12 months of bragging rights as a Steely-Eyed Crew Dragon or Starliner expert! There must be an entry deadline, how about 12/31/19? Currently with a whopping one entry counted, SpaceX is predicted to grab the flag on March 18, 2020. As lottery commercials like to point out, you can't win if you don't play!

The flag inside of the International Space Station's Node 2 or Harmony.
572464main_fd11flag_full.jpg

I can't speak for everyone here, but I'm pretty excited about the next year in Space. Some background. Long forgotten or perhaps unbeknownst by many, there is a special U. S. flag waiting to be claimed by the first commercial crew that docks with the ISS. That flag, measuring 12" by 8", was one of hundreds flown on the first Space Shuttle mission, STS-1 in 1981. This particular flag flew once again in 2011 on the last mission, STS-135, where it still resides. It will be brought back to earth by the next crew to launch from American soil. In 2011 the contending companies receiving initial funding from NASA for their Commercial Crew Programs were SpaceX, Boeing, Sierra Nevada, and Blue Origin. The target date for the first crewed launches was not expected to be any later than 2016. Time does have a way of changing things. What's stayed the same is the competitive nature of the astronauts representing the two finalists, SpaceX and Boeing. STS-135 was commanded by Starliner's civilian astronaut, Chris Ferguson. Doug Hurley has has been training for SpaceX's DM-2. He was also the pilot on STS-135. The flag capture idea was Ferguson's back in 2011. He wants it badly. All in good fun, Hurley is intent on ruining his day. After learning of the flag capture challenge in 2011, SpaceX posted on Twitter, "SpaceX commencing flag capturing sequence..."

2020 looks to be the year, but who wins and when? If anyone wishes to play by coming closest to naming the winning company and date, I'm offering 12 months of bragging rights as a Steely-Eyed Crew Dragon or Starliner expert! There must be an entry deadline, how about 12/31/19? Currently with a whopping one entry counted, SpaceX is predicted to grab the flag on March 18, 2020. As lottery commercials like to point out, you can't win if you don't play!

The flag inside of the International Space Station's Node 2 or Harmony.
View attachment 485611
Wow, I had not idea this was a thing. This is quite awesome!
I imagine they will also bring back Little Earth? She was not supposed to stay but: NASA on Twitter
And it looks like she/he came with another American Flag that the SpaceX crew is to take back:
SpaceX's Crew Dragon Left Its 'Little Earth' Behind on Space Station | Space

Since the rules allow us to vote until 12/31/2019, I shall avail myself of that time to see how things shake out around the In-Flight Abort preps... ;-)

Last edited:
So far a good spread on these dates. Just as a reminder to avoid any controversy judging a winner, please specify SpaceX or Boeing. After all folks, there's a lot on the line here! :rolleyes: Assuming that nobody is yet brave enough to pick Boeing's Starliner, all previous entries will default to SpaceX.

I wasn't expecting that anyone else would pick meaningful dates. If it's not too personal, might be interesting to hear more stories related to the dates picked by future entrants. I chose the date 3/18/20 to honor Alexei Leonov. While in the eye of the beholder, I'd describe him as the 2nd greatest space-faring artist. He was also the Russian commander on the joint Apollo-Soyuz project. Most notably on 3/18/65 he became the first human spacewalker. He passed away 2 months ago at the age of 85. I expect there will be plenty of attention given to when the first cosmonaut launches on a SpaceX F9, hopefully sometime within the next 18 months.

• Love
Reactions: EVCollies and e-FTW
I will go with 4/1/2020 (no reason, just fishing around for a date that is a few months out from Feb).
I would pick Boeing to be a contrarian around these parts, but since I am not getting odds I will stick with SpaceX.

I also choose to support the ASF. And I will put in my $50 donation to the winner’s cause. I encourage folks to get their votes in with their registered charity.

• Love
Reactions: Nikxice
Today is the last chance to choose the winning date (or be the closest) for Capturing the Flag aboard the ISS. So far no picks in May or beyond July 10th. There's also been no picks for Boeing. Despite Starliner's recent snafu reaching the ISS, who here isn't just a little nervous that NASA could soon green-light Boeing ahead of SpaceX? Pick a date for an easy way to contribute to a favorite charity!

Reactions: e-FTW
Today is the last chance to choose the winning date (or be the closest) for Capturing the Flag aboard the ISS. So far no picks in May or beyond July 10th. There's also been no picks for Boeing. Despite Starliner's recent snafu reaching the ISS, who here isn't just a little nervous that NASA could soon green-light Boeing ahead of SpaceX? Pick a date for an easy way to contribute to a favorite charity!
I sure am nervous. But hey, we need someone to get up there ASAP, Boeing or SpaceX.

Reactions: Grendal