Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car accident, Tesla Insurance experiences/rental questions, more additional concerns/questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

TL;DR Car got hit while parked at my friend's street, no notes left, sentry mode didn't caught license plate, but found matching car with matching vehicle descriptions with identical damage and transfer paint, police were involved and got them to transfer information, have to wait next week for rental/other things from Tesla insurance since their claims department don't work weekends. Questions to ask below of post.

After about 20 months of ownership of my Model 3, my car unfortunately got involved in a hit and run (kind of) accident. The Prius took the left turn too fast to the street I parked my car at my friend's house, and hit on my driver's side rear quarter panel. I was on the back yard of my friend's house at first, heard a loud bang, then realized my car got hit.

I checked my sentry footages, it did caught the car hitting me, but unfortunately no license plate numbers were shown since it was very late at night. It was a silver Prius that hit me.

Here's the sentry mode video: 2021-10-02_22-27-33-left_repeater.mp4

Here's some pictures of damages of my car:
20211002_230545.jpg20211002_230548.jpg20211002_230554.jpg

The driver didn't leave any notes, or bothered to stop, it was a good thing that my friend did some more investigation by walking along further in the street to see a matching description of the car that's parked on the street, had identical damage to his passenger front corner bumper area, and also had red transfer paint on his car (I have a red Model 3), so I got pretty lucky to find the car that hit it in the first place.

Police were called and knocked on their door, the owner of the Prius obviously was playing dumb (not too surprising there) when the Police was asking them, but they did eventually gave me their information regardless. So I do very appreciate the police for actually checking out the car that had the exact description.

Filed a claim with Tesla Insurance afterwards, gave all the information, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get a rental since that's the job on the claims department and the adjustors, which they don't work on the weekends, which I was a bit disappointed at best. The car was still drivable so the car is in my garage for the time being.

Car questions:

1. Since it got hit on the rear quarter panel side where the charging port is located, is it still safe to charge the car at level 2 speeds?

2. Anyone in the SGV area in California, what are some of the good Tesla certified body shops? I am seeing some other ones in the list other than Tesla ones, are they just as good? My main concern is more on speed and quality, since I don't exactly want to deal with the rental situation past the 30 days point.

Insurance questions:

1. Most rental policies for auto insurances are likely 30 days, and repairs will likely go over that, how should I go forward about car rental past the 30 day point?

2. I am looking at potentially $15k-20k of damage based on what I have been reading from other forum posts, is that about right? Is it fair to say that it's not yet totaled in the state of California?

3. Based on my description of the story, do you think it's likely that the other party's insurance will be responsible without concrete evidence of lack of license plate on video, but had police intervention from the other driver?

1. Did your policy cover a rental? It is an option on many policies.

2. Only an expert can give you a fair estimate of the damage costs. Even then, until they start taking it apart nothing is certain.

3. Do you have uninsured motorist coverage? If so, you will be covered either way. If not, you will need to somehow identify the owner of the car which may be difficult without getting a plate number.

Sorry for your predicament. It sucks when your car gets damaged. Ask me how I know.

Did you happen to get any photos of the damage of his/her vehicle showing the paint transfer? I'd think that would be necessary evidence if you ever needed to reconstruct the collision in court. From the video seems the driver had to have been intoxicated at the time pulling that turn at that speed.

Did you happen to get any photos of the damage of his/her vehicle showing the paint transfer? I'd think that would be necessary evidence if you ever needed to reconstruct the collision in court. From the video seems the driver had to have been intoxicated at the time pulling that turn at that speed.

Sure did, and got the sentry mode video with the car hitting me as well (without plates).

Funny thing is, when the police knocked on his door and said in person, they said the same thing as well being intoxicated.

1. Since it got hit on the rear quarter panel side where the charging port is located, is it still safe to charge the car at level 2 speeds?

There is really not way to tell for sure by just looking at the pics. The impact point appears to be in the area where the rear bumper meets sheet metal.
Most likely - yes. But I would watch it closely for the first charging cycle.

2. Anyone in the SGV area in California, what are some of the good Tesla certified body shops? I am seeing some other ones in the list other than Tesla ones, are they just as good? My main concern is more on speed and quality, since I don't exactly want to deal with the rental situation past the 30 days point.

Call your insurance (my condolences for being stuck with Tesla's service), get a list of pre-approved body shops, and start calling.
Ask for when would be the earliest they could start working on your car. Collect the data, and draw your conclusions.

1. Most rental policies for auto insurances are likely 30 days, and repairs will likely go over that, how should I go forward about car rental past the 30 day point?

Repairs should not take 30 days. I would say 3-4 days, at most. Unless the shop is waiting on some back-ordered Tesla part.
Call your insurance company, and ask them how many days are covered and at what maximum daily rate. Both of those values vary a LOT, depending on what policy you bought.

The car looks to be drivable. If in a pinch (you don't have other cars in your stable), you could keep driving it until the day you drop it off at the body shop.

2. I am looking at potentially $15k-20k of damage based on what I have been reading from other forum posts, is that about right? Is it fair to say that it's not yet totaled in the state of California?

I have no idea how much it will be to repair, and frankly, it should not matter to you. Whether it is $5K or $20K, your course of action will be the same.
It is highly unlikely the repairs will hit total value amount (usually ~80% of present market value, but varies by state) for your car.

3. Based on my description of the story, do you think it's likely that the other party's insurance will be responsible without concrete evidence of lack of license plate on video, but had police intervention from the other driver?

Let your insurance company worry about this.
It is in their self-interest to pin the fault on the other driver, in which case, that driver's insurance policy will cover the cost of the repairs.
Your interests are perfectly aligned with those of your insurance company, in this situation. Unleash them on your behalf, and don't worry about that part of the puzzle.

Good luck, and keep us posted about how Tesla insurance treats you!

HTH,
a[/QUOTE]

The driver didn't leave any notes, or bothered to stop, it was a good thing that my friend did some more investigation by walking along further in the street to see a matching description of the car that's parked on the street, had identical damage to his passenger front corner bumper area, and also had red transfer paint on his car (I have a red Model 3), so I got pretty lucky to find the car that hit it in the first place.

not a very good criminal he/she is 🤔

They were probably drunk. In their diminished capacity didn’t figure on cameras coming into play. Likely thought no one saw so didn’t know what kind of car it was. So all thought they had to do was park, head in, where “no one” could see the damage, and they’re home free. From the footage the friend likely knew there was a silver Prius right down the street where that car was headed; figured that must have been the one, and he was right. Jackpot.

Some updates from Tesla Insurance and Tesla Collision Center from Pomona if you guys are curious:

Insurance side:

Got a call from the adjustor yesterday, basically gave them a debrief of what happened again, and emailed the adjustor all the pictures regarding the accident. They said they will be calling Mercury Insurance (other party's insurance), and see if they will accept responsibility. Not sure how good or bad Mercury Insurance is, but I hope things go well.

Collision Center Side:

Initially I was planning to go for 3rd party such as Fix Auto, but apparently the way they operate is they have to pre-order parts, if they found more problems while during the repair, they will have to order even more parts, which will take even more time to do so. With Tesla collision centers, that's not a worry, so I decided to go with the one located in Pomona instead.

The lady that I spoke to after sending them a few pictures of the damage, she said it would be about $10k of repair (which is a bit lower than I expected to be), but with Tesla Insurance, they have a negotiated rate which they won't tell me over the phone.

The bad thing is, I will have to wait for a MONTH before I can even drop my vehicle off for repair. It does appear that Tesla Collision Centers are really backed up, which isn't too much of a surprise.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Repairs should not take 30 days. I would say 3-4 days, at most. Unless the shop is waiting on some back-ordered Tesla part.

Good luck, and keep us posted about how Tesla insurance treats you!
Tesla repairs absolutely do take a long time. My Model Y has been in the body shop for 4 months now (many months waiting for parts), still haven't gotten it back (it was finally sent to the Tesla Service Center, they found they needed to order more parts, no ETA on completion).

There are threads on this forum of many repairs taking 2~3 months, with one person waiting 8 months on their repair.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Tesla repairs absolutely do take a long time. My Model Y has been in the body shop for 4 months now (many months waiting for parts), still haven't gotten it back (it was finally sent to the Tesla Service Center, they found they needed to order more parts, no ETA on completion).

There are threads on this forum of many repairs taking 2~3 months, with one person waiting 8 months on their repair.
Mine took just under a month at a Tesla certified body shop. Some of that was finding more damage when they got the car taken apart and had to order more parts from Tesla. I did like receiving email delivery estimates and shipment notifications for the parts directly from Tesla. Not sure if this was a Tesla thing or a body shop thing, but I appreciated it. My repairs were just over $11K and included two door shells, a door handle, new running board and a few other items. And of course, paint.

Hi! Now, nearly a year later, how did everything turn out!?