Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car adding charge beyond target level while plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s reverse vampire drain?
9B67FA55-E5B2-434E-B2C1-7267A8A607CB.jpeg

Is it possible......... Car reaches its set charge level and stops charging. Next day at the preset set time charging starts again, taking the charged level a little higher because it hasn't been driven. Process repeats itself the next day...........

By any chance, do you have Scheduled Departure enabled? This happened to my car a few days a week when I used it. I switched to start charging at 2am and the issue has not reocurred.
I have noticed the same occurrence. This has been going on over the last two months, I can usual reproduce this on the weekend, if my memory serves me correctly the steps go as follows: On Friday the MX is not drive so it charges to 90% and stops charging prior to the normal departure time. Over the day the MX will loss some battery charge to normal vampire drain. Over Saturday night the MX will not charge because I only loss 1 or 2% battery charge. If I use the Tesla App to start a charge during the day on Saturday the battery will Start to charge at the normal rate 48amps at 250 volts after 10 minutes the Tesla app will show the charging to end but neither the STOP or START charging option will be available. The wall charger will continue to show flow. To stop this I use the Tesla app to start the MX after the 2 minute timeout the charging will stop. If I unplug and plug the power cord in without starting the vehicle it will continue to charge. Using the IOS Stat app I notice the my MX while doing this will draw about 1amp at 250 volts. This results in a 1 mile gain every 3 to 4 hours above and beyond the set stop point.

I was having same issue with bug in scheduled departure, but had it set to 80%. After a few days it even went up to 90% on its own. I disabled the scheduled departure and have it set to start charging after midnight. That got rid of the scheduled charging issue.

However, now when I plug the car in, it stops correctly at 80%. Since we have been home without driving for several days we have not even unplugged the car. It just stays in the “charging complete” state. I can click “unlock charge port” to get out of that state, but seems a shame that I must manually do something to get out of this state. Does this mean if I go on vacation, and leave my car plugged in at home, that I have to check on this periodically and manually get the car out of this state? Would prefer to not think about it at all. First world problem, I know, but is there a way to just leave the car plugged in and have it charge to the target point periodically (and automatically). Perhaps just need to reenable the scheduled departure even with the bug in place.

I was having same issue with bug in scheduled departure, but had it set to 80%. After a few days it even went up to 90% on its own. I disabled the scheduled departure and have it set to start charging after midnight. That got rid of the scheduled charging issue.

However, now when I plug the car in, it stops correctly at 80%. Since we have been home without driving for several days we have not even unplugged the car. It just stays in the “charging complete” state. I can click “unlock charge port” to get out of that state, but seems a shame that I must manually do something to get out of this state. Does this mean if I go on vacation, and leave my car plugged in at home, that I have to check on this periodically and manually get the car out of this state? Would prefer to not think about it at all. First world problem, I know, but is there a way to just leave the car plugged in and have it charge to the target point periodically (and automatically). Perhaps just need to reenable the scheduled departure even with the bug in place.
I think that is the solution. Turn off schedule departure if you are not going to be using the vehicle for a while to prevent the trickle charging above the set point. Makes me wonder what would happen if it was left in the trickle charging state, what would happen once the battery reached 100% would damage occur if it continued to charge?