Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car adjusting speed for Speed Limits ?

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Moderator comment - recent thread merged with an earlier thread on same topic containing a poll that has subsequently been deleted.

Last edited:

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
Moderator comment - recent thread merged with an earlier thread on same topic containing a poll - please feel free to vote or change your previous votes based upon recent experiences
Unfortunately, the available options don’t differentiate between TACC and AP, which in my experience behave completely differently in response to traffic signs.

VanillaAir_UK

Jun 17, 2019
Surrey, UK
Unfortunately, the available options don’t differentiate between TACC and AP, which in my experience behave completely differently in response to traffic signs.
True. The different behaviour between TACC and AP only came to light after the poll was originally posted. Its quite an old poll and probably lost some of its initial relevance so I have deleted it. The rest of the thread is still relevant.

Last edited:

Tony Hoyle

May 7, 2019
Stockport, UK
It looks like it's still as inconsistent as ever.. AP changes speed for some people and not others.

Suspect it's mapping related - esp. where limits have changed since 2019 - and you'd only get consistent results from different people on the same road. It's been going on too long to be some kind of minor version difference or a/b test.

SpareHeadOne

Oct 27, 2020
UK
I agree that's it's inconsistent, I've definitely had the car slow going into lower limits, but not all of the time.

On top of that it's still having trouble with 50 signs, only recognising them about 20% of the time and not recognising temporary limits in roadworks at all for me.

A little bit off topic, but a 30 road near me has had all of the side roads reduced to 20 and when I pass the first one it thinks the main road has been reduced to 20 - incorrectly reading the limit signs on the side streets as being for the main carriageway. Another nail in the EAP/FSD coffin!

Tony Hoyle

May 7, 2019
Stockport, UK
Yeah it needs to be a heck of a lot smarter. It's wierd it gets it so wrong as road signs are quite consistent in that speed limit signs are on the left of the road and facing the driver, not facing 90 degrees to the driver, or way off to the left or right.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
Yeah it needs to be a heck of a lot smarter. It's wierd it gets it so wrong as road signs are quite consistent in that speed limit signs are on the left of the road and facing the driver, not facing 90 degrees to the driver, or way off to the left or right.
I find it odd that there is such an apparent variation in behaviour. Could it be a difference in hardware? Different FSD computers? As long as I’m on AP, I’ve found the speed lowering to be quite consistent. Though it only happens after going through the limit, which is not ideal.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC