Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car alarm - Continuous trigger at night (Solved!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all,

Just wanted to share a recent experience on M3P car alarm.

On the night of 04/09 from about 2000 until 0400 the next morning, the M3P car alarm triggered every 30-40 mins. It was raining quite heavily and it was dark.

After VERY little sleep, I took it for a short drive (10 mins). The car alarm didn't go off again all day, until around 2000 again the following night - Again dark, raining.

I then took it for a much longer drive (40-50 mins, with 56% efficiency - Can tell I was tired and angry!). When I returned, I performed a software reboot and also updated to 2020.36.11. I also parked the car facing off the highstreet. I also blasted the aircon for 10 mins in case of a rogue fly etc.

Alas! A good night's sleep. Not sure which of the solutions worked, but my current theories are;
  • There was a fly or small insect in the cabin leading to the motion sensors being triggered (Lots of other threads on the forum re; sensitivity of motion sensors) - Solved with windows down, air con on
  • It was a gremlin in the software - Solved through Software reboot and/or Software update
  • The battery was low (not the main battery, but rather the 'standard' battery you get in an ICE car - This is known to cause issues with the alarm, and so a long drive would charge and resolve - This is my leading theory! The car has been sat idle for a 5-10 days on the drive.
  • The door puddle lights (retrofit by myself) were causing the door latch to fail when locked - But I didn't change them and the problem has (for now at least) stopped!

Not sure if any of the above are to blame - But to be honest I was on the verge of tears following <2hrs sleep and the equivalent of a naughty child waking up all the neighbours!

ps. Turning sentry mode on at home didn't work, but it sure did play that Transylvanian music loud at 4am!

Reactions: Roy W.
Ah, maybe not the suspected battery drain then! Maybe the software reboot/update was the more likely culprit.

I also had the car facing the opposite way last night, I'm going to face it in the original direction tonight and see if it replicates. Hopfully not though!

Telsa have also been in touch to ask for times, which I've provided to-the-second thanks to my Nest Security Camera set-up! So hoping for a response from them soon!

What I have certainly noticed today though, is that its' taking a LONG time to unlock the door when I use my phone - Maybe 4-5 seconds before the car fires into life!? Anyone else experienced this on 2020.36.11?

I thought the 12V battery would charge from the HV battery whenever it's required. Do you actually have to drive the car for this to happen?

I believe that the car has to be turned on in order to power the 12 V battery charging system, as when it's turned off and gone to sleep the main HV battery contactor opens, isolating the HV battery circuit (you can just about hear this contactor open when the car goes to sleep).

The car will wake up periodically, though, mine seems to wake up once every 24 hours if it's not being used. Every time it wakes up the HV battery contactor will close, I think, allowing the 12 V battery charging circuit to work. It may be that the car wakes up periodically to keep the 12 V battery charged, as well as to "phone home". Might be interesting to monitor the 12 V battery voltage, as that should show when the battery is being charged pretty clearly.

I would always try disabling the interior sensors first. As like you say those pesky bugs.

Also should tell you the source of the alarm trigger. My 2004 Clio 182 even manages that, alas with a flashing red light lol

Hopefully you don't get anymore sleepless nights

...Not sure which of the solutions worked, but my current theories are;
  • There was a fly or small insect in the cabin leading to the motion sensors being triggered (Lots of other threads on the forum re; sensitivity of motion sensors) - Solved with windows down, air con on...

I had a small flying insect in my parked Model X cabin that twice caused the alarm to go off before I figured out the problem. I had had the optional "Enhanced Anti-Theft System" installed after I bought the car. It replaces the central ceiling light (in Model X) with one that includes motion-detectors. (As of 2021 only Models S & X could get that option in North America.) I had no idea it was that sensitive--so much so that an small insect, or the breeze of the A/C causing paper to flutter in the cabin, can trigger the alarm. In fact, the temperature-control fan is automatically disabled when the car is parked and the EATS feature is turned on.

I think I heard that the Enhanced Anti-Theft System is a standard (not optional) feature in Europe? Is is installed in Model 3, also?

If you don't have motion detection in the cabin, then it must have been one of the other causes. At least here in North America, the standard alarm system that comes with all models does not include inside-cabin motion detection or car-tilt-detection. As I mentioned, we have to pay extra for those features, and can only get them in Models S & X.

Ah, shucks. You folks get all the good stuff.
  • Isle of Man versus Staten Island.
  • Queen Elizabeth versus Sarah Palin.
  • "Downton Abbey" versus "Keeping Up With The Kardashians."
  • Windsor Castle versus Trump Tower.
  • Formula 1 versus NASCAR.
  • "Doc Martin" versus "The Dr. Oz Show."
  • Chips versus "freedom fries."
  • Any BBC nature series versus The History Channel's "Swamp People."
Heck, I could do this all day...
Pre-Captain America Steve Rogers

Last edited:
Damn can we never be free

I'm afraid I've never knowingly seen him, so I can't comment. However coincidentally, out of curiosity I just downloaded a copy of "Cats" (2019), apparently considered by many to arguably be one of the worst (musical, or maybe any genre) movies of all time. Haven't seen it yet but I note that he has a prominent role. Does his participation equal responsibility for its monumental failure?

JC in Cats (2019)

Awe, look at his cute little paws.​

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
Why on Earth would you download Cats?

WHY

Ha, ha! Yes, I know. I guess for the same reason as wanting to watch "Plan 9 From Outer Space." Cinematic history? To see what not to do as a film-maker? Like watching a train-wreck or car crash on YouTube? For Taylor Swift in skin-tight CGI fur? (Sorry; creepy.)

I have/had a digital copy of the original Broadway cast recording, and I do like the song "Memories," but that's the only notable song and the story itself is $%^& incomprehensible, imo. Too bad, because cats are beautiful and interesting creatures and ALW should have selected much better source material to base his musical book on. Oh well, there are people who like it, a lot. Played forever in New York (and in London?). So what do I know? I've been on a musical film kick recently, watching the 1961 and 2021 versions of "West Side Story" back-to-back, for example. So I thought, what the hell? How bad could it be? (Also, it was a free copy.)

TS in Cats

Last edited: