Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car alarm during update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just visited my service center (Owings Mills) and they are aware of it. He had no more information but if they’re indeed aware of it then *hopefully* they’ll address it by the next update.

I have AP 2.5, MCU 1 and this has happened three times.

• Informative
Reactions: Bill_75D
Currently installing 2019.32.12.1. At least, that is what the phone says is the latest version the car has. BUT -- I had set the update to start at 2 AM (having not paid attention to this post about the risk of the alarm going off -- my bad) but at 7 Am the phone says it is 60% complete and still installing. Uh oh. The car is some distance away from my condo in a parking lot, and i did not hear the alarm if indeed it went off.
But after 5 hours -- should I be worried about the long delay?
Can I interrupt it? First time in 4+ years I have had any issue with the installation of a software update. (2015 Model S 70D, AP1 obviously...) I need the car in about 3 hours....

Currently installing 2019.32.12.1. At least, that is what the phone says is the latest version the car has. BUT -- I had set the update to start at 2 AM (having not paid attention to this post about the risk of the alarm going off -- my bad) but at 7 Am the phone says it is 60% complete and still installing. Uh oh. The car is some distance away from my condo in a parking lot, and i did not hear the alarm if indeed it went off.
But after 5 hours -- should I be worried about the long delay?
Can I interrupt it? First time in 4+ years I have had any issue with the installation of a software update. (2015 Model S 70D, AP1 obviously...) I need the car in about 3 hours....

I went out to the car to see what was happening first hand. The car unlocked and I was able to unplug the charging cable. So, no problem there. Getting in, all I saw on the screen was car off. I put my foot on the brake which fired up the instrument cluster, showing the two side panels, the speed, they cartoon of the car, temperature and battery charge. The center screen flashed the Tesla symbol, and it has continued to do so intermittently for the 10 to 15 minutes I have sat here. I can't tell whether or not my putting my foot on the brake did anything. Probably not. Given that the center screen is flashing on and off, I guess something is happening and I should leave it alone. I have not tried putting it into gear or driving. Still seems like it's taking inordinately long.

As of 2 hours after my initial post, the phone still reports 60%...getting concerned it will not finish.

Last edited:
For sure for the first time last night (10/18/2019) on our S 75 late 2016 HW 2.0- alarm went off during latest update. The car was plugged in, not on Wifi. Just hit the unlock button on the key fob and it stopped. Nobody had tampered with the car.

ALSO earlier into the same update got a “charging interrupted” message- once update was done it was charging fine.

Just got another incremental update (2019.32.12.3 1b89dd1) a few days ago to both cars and I manually activated them at night earlier in the evening anticipating a possible alarm trigger. Thankfully, neither car had that issue so maybe they addressed that bug from the previous versions. Hopefully.

Anyone else have their car alarm go off during a SW update? MS 75D AP2
Yes, it was a first middle of the day, at work, the update was almost done and my first alarm event came across my phone. I went out and sure enough the obvious, NOTHING, I let it finish wailing and the update finished all good. 2016 75D. Since then I have gotten the two bug fix updates also to 2019.32.12.3 now as of yesterdays last update.