Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Alarm Nightmare (Again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TBH the few times i've locked the car with someone inside i've used camp or dog mode as it's designed for just locking the doors. IIRC locking on the car's screen will also just lock the doors, any time app is used to lock the car in 'normal mode' the alarm should go on.

Camp/Dog mode next time would be best option and/or locking from the screen rather than the app.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Found this:

"Keep Climate On is helpful in circumstances that require the car to remain at a specific temperature when no one is in the vehicle. For example, if you run into a store and want to maintain the cabin at an ideal temperature so that it's at an ideal temperature when you return."

"In Camp Mode, the vehicle's auto-locking system is also turned off, so you'll need to manually lock the vehicle by tapping the lock button on the screen before going to bed."

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Similar happened to me last summer - was out for the day with kids & my parents, stopped to grab some food & drinks from a shop on our way to the next location. Left the kids in the car, with the rear window down, next to my folks car so they could chat.

Alerted to alarm state & found the car blaring alarm & music, girls terrified, my Dad out of his car panicking... and the rear window had closed itself preventing him from calming them.
Dog mode every time I make a similar quick stop now, unless wife is with us with her phone.
Horrible experience isn’t it. Yeh, dog mode for me too now.

There is another thing that can set off the alarm that I haven't seen mentioned above.

I have left my mom in the car with dog mode or maybe keep and if she decides to open the locked doors it will trigger the alarm. In this case someone she knew happened by and she wanted to talk to them. I have a tendency to keep my phone with me and make sure the doors stay unlocked although you probably wouldn't want to do that with your daughter.

There is another thing that can set off the alarm that I haven't seen mentioned above.

I have left my mom in the car with dog mode or maybe keep and if she decides to open the locked doors it will trigger the alarm. In this case someone she knew happened by and she wanted to talk to them. I have a tendency to keep my phone with me and make sure the doors stay unlocked although you probably wouldn't want to do that with your daughter.
Surely not with camp mode though ... ? (I haven't tested unlocking doors and getting out with dog mode.)

Why are people locking full grown adults in cars?

Edit: What I mean to ask is what's the benefit of using dog mode when there is an adult in the car? Surely it would be easier to keep the car unlocked?

Why are people locking full grown adults in cars?

Edit: What I mean to ask is what's the benefit of using dog mode when there is an adult in the car? Surely it would be easier to keep the car unlocked?
Dog mode is useful to keep the climate on.

To clarify my situation I didn't intentionally lock the doors with my mom inside but the car did lock the doors and enabled the alarm as I walked away. Note I don't think it is possible to lock someone *inside* a Tesla. I believe the front door interior handles will always work. Hmmm... if you have the child locks turned on for the rear seats it probably is a bad idea to leave anyone in those rear seats. I suppose Tesla could automatically disable the child lock settings for the rear seats if no one is in the front or driver seats. That would probably be the right thing to do because you should never leave children unattended anyway and anyone alone in the car should have a way to exit.

When I have a non-wife passenger in the car that is waiting, I just disable walk away lock. If they need the infotainment/climate, they just need to tap the screen after the door is closed and it's available to use again.

Hi all, best wishes for 2023.

Ok, had another terrifying incident this evening. Left my daughter in the car with the dog, whilst I popped into the supermarket for literally 5 mins. I left my phone in the car with her and told her to lock the door when I left, just so she was safe.

Ok, now as far as I was aware, as long as the phone was left in the car (acting as key), then you could lock the doors using the app and the alarm wouldn’t engage. Unfortunately on this occasion it went off with my daughter and dog inside

I got the notification in the supermarket and legged it outside., to a terrified daughter crying her eyes out.

Now, what went wrong? Am I wrong in saying that leaving the phone in the car with her, should NOT have enabled the alarm? Should I have engaged Camp or Dog mode?

Thanks.
I think the real question here, as whether you had sentry mode, disabled are enabled, if sentry mode is enabled them that explains the situation

"Keep Climate On is helpful in circumstances that require the car to remain at a specific temperature when no one is in the vehicle. For example, if you run into a store and want to maintain the cabin at an ideal temperature so that it's at an ideal temperature when you return."

"While Dog Mode is enabled, Sentry Mode and the vehicle's alarm are both disabled to prevent them from going off accidentally."

You may have put it in Keep Climate Mode which will activate Sentry/alarms.