Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car alarm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car (Polly) has "alarmed" only a couple of times and then for valid reasons.

However, about 3 months ago we went to a local cafe for the first time and in the middle of a luscious pie and trimmings and a Latte the alarm went off. I raced out and it stopped. I don't think there was a Sentry Mode event recorded. Today we went back to the same cafe. Again, in the middle of a luscious Breakfast Panini and Latte the alarm went off. Same result, raced out, it stopped, no events recorded.

I believe that coincidents can happen but to be triggered twice at the same cafe with an intervening period of 3 months over which time there were a hundred Sentry Mode events but none that triggered an alarm is a coincidental step too far. I have been thinking about electromagnetic interference form a local something or other.

Any ideas? Just for fun I might go back and turn my Bluetooth off and wait to see what transpires.

Keith

The only time I've had my alarm set off is by a car with an extremely loud exhaust rolling past inside of an otherwise quiet parking garage. Does this cafe commonly have cars/motorcycles with very loud exhausts?

The only time I've had my alarm set off is by a car with an extremely loud exhaust rolling past inside of an otherwise quiet parking garage. Does this cafe commonly have cars/motorcycles with very loud exhausts?
No. I park on the street. No loud noises. Big trucks sometimes rumble past but that is not a problem elsewhere.

My car (Polly) has "alarmed" only a couple of times and then for valid reasons.

However, about 3 months ago we went to a local cafe for the first time and in the middle of a luscious pie and trimmings and a Latte the alarm went off. I raced out and it stopped. I don't think there was a Sentry Mode event recorded. Today we went back to the same cafe. Again, in the middle of a luscious Breakfast Panini and Latte the alarm went off. Same result, raced out, it stopped, no events recorded.

I believe that coincidents can happen but to be triggered twice at the same cafe with an intervening period of 3 months over which time there were a hundred Sentry Mode events but none that triggered an alarm is a coincidental step too far. I have been thinking about electromagnetic interference form a local something or other.

Any ideas? Just for fun I might go back and turn my Bluetooth off and wait to see what transpires.

Keith
Interesting observations. You, me, we all know that it’s just a silly coincidence. I’m going to solve your case for you.
It has to do with the sheet of pavement (or whatever) the vehicle is parking on.
It’s seismic. My garage has 2 slabs that make up the 2 car area. One slab is solid, the other slab moves (ever so slightly). I learned this after coming home with my Tesla. Wife and I had to switch sides of the garage because the MY kept going off. Now it doesn’t. Weird right?

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
We had my Model 3 parked in a local city parking garage and had the alarm go off while eating a meal nearby. Did have Sentry record the event and in my case it was triggered by a car with its window down playing loud music. Husband ran to garage to investigate and heard the car’s music. Sentry Video has no audio but we saw footage of the offending car with its windows down so were able to deduce it, especially with my car’s headlights lights starting to flash at the moment the car was behind my car.

Also depending on where in the structure we park, the cars will “bounce up and down” from the vibration of cars traveling buy or I think even people walking by. I really don’t like parking in this garage as it is a weird feeling to sit in your car and feel it move when cars go by. I assume this is preventative design in earthquake country; and of note it hasn’t triggered our alarm once although I could see it happening depending on the change of movement.

Too bad you didn’t have video of the event to see what was going on then. Your Sentry mode, if on and not turned off for that location, should have if the alarm went off from my experience. Is your USB device recording? At one point recently mine stopped recording and I needed to reformat it. Hadn’t realized is was nearly full.

Also entirely possible from what I’ve read that a motorcycle could set it off if conditions were just right.

Last edited:
I have never had the alarm go off in my tesla 3 (2018) until today either. It went off twice parked outside at an apartment complex where we had set up a mobile covid vaccine clinic. The car was in full line of sight and the first time, I thought it was due to kids running by and maybe touching the car. The second time, no one went by (and sentry did not record anything either). I moved it to another side of the parking lot and no more alarms went off. I, too, thought maybe some sort of electromagnetic signal from loud music within an apartment triggered it? I have no idea however.

I have never had the alarm go off in my tesla 3 (2018) until today either. It went off twice parked outside at an apartment complex where we had set up a mobile covid vaccine clinic. The car was in full line of sight and the first time, I thought it was due to kids running by and maybe touching the car. The second time, no one went by (and sentry did not record anything either). I moved it to another side of the parking lot and no more alarms went off. I, too, thought maybe some sort of electromagnetic signal from loud music within an apartment triggered it? I have no idea however.
Weird, but nothing more has transpired with my M3. Software has glitches and you'd have to know in detail the events that cause the alarm to go off. As well software is updated frequently and any minor fixes (and there would be many in every release) are never itemized. For all we know some boffin could have said "oh, this condition could cause the alarm to trigger, I'll fix that" and you'd never know.