Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car already has PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my white model perf Y (vin 28xxx) for 2 weeks and noticed while hand washing today that it already has PPF on the front bumper, rear bumper, and two side mirrors. From all I can tell there is no way this was a car returned (it was delivered on a train from CA to GA that took 2 weeks). I picked it up two days after it was supposedly delivered via the train. The odometer had less than 15 miles on it when I picked it up. Any ideas? Did the service center replace parts from another model Y? Who should I contact to clear this up? For what its worth, I have no complaints on the car. The fit and finish is great, has the updated door open stickers, no AC issues, frunk issues, etc. I'm at about 900 miles on it now. I'm just really confused discovering this. Is this in fact PPF or is it some protective coat that should have been removed before delivery?

mirror.JPG
front_right.jpeg
front_right_sensor.jpeg
rear_left.jpeg
front_left.jpeg

Hmmmm, installed by Tesla for some reason? Why though....even with a long delivery travel distance I don't think this is common practice. Maybe Tesla has recently begun doing this to reduce rejections due to paint chips with long travel times and where the car might be exposed to debris?

Another plausible reason is the bumper was damaged in transit. And the delivery center pulled a bumper off a reject and placed it on this one - without realizing it had PPF on it. When my buddy picked up his M3, we raised a stink about his rear bumper being scuffed up and refused to take delivery unless it was replaced on the spot. They finally said - we'll take care of it - and we saw them take a bumper off a brand new one and swap onto the one we were taking delivery of.

• Funny
Reactions: DennyL
Why do you think it’s not a return? Because the mileage?
My only explanation is it is a customer return.

can you show us side shots from both driver and passenger sides so we can see the paint matching on your doors?

My VIN was assigned 2 days after its "birthday". I asked when it was built and they said July 18th. Got schedule delivery text on the 20th. I got delivery first week in August.

Another plausible reason is the bumper was damaged in transit. And the delivery center pulled a bumper off a reject and placed it on this one - without realizing it had PPF on it. When my buddy picked up his M3, we raised a stink about his rear bumper being scuffed up and refused to take delivery unless it was replaced on the spot. They finally said - we'll take care of it - and we saw them take a bumper off a brand new one and swap onto the one we were taking delivery of.

There is ppf on both front and back bumper, and the two side mirrors. That's a lot to replace! Maybe the car was built from spare parts that were already ppf from another vehicle in CA?

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
that PPF is a pre-cut kit. That's why it doesn't wrap around the edges. And yes, like jerry33 said, dirt and wax will build up on the seam lines. you don't want a precut PPF kit (unless you're doing the job yourself and buying a precut kit).

My car has similar seam around the edges. I believe that came from the molding before parts got painted. Design Failure I guess or parts got repainted at supplier site for some issues?

You do not see them on the metal parts, plastic parts only.