Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver adds Model 3 to long-term fleet

BulldogsRus

Nov 12, 2018
Boston
Our Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Test Begins

We usually request vehicles from manufacturers, and without too much of a wait, these cars appear at our office for testing. Some of the test cars remain for a two-week loan, and some commit to a 40,000-mile stay. We have repeatedly asked Tesla for vehicles to test, but lately, company reps have been painfully slow to respond to our requests. And we're impatient.

Lol!

ecarfan

Sep 21, 2013
West Vancouver, British Columbia

Quote: “In an unusual move, we went out and leased a Model 3 of our own, using our own money, for a 40,000-mile two-year test.”

Translation: “Normally auto companies give us free cars so they will get favorable reviews and we will provide them advertising space, but Tesla doesn’t advertise so we have no leverage over them and we had no choice but to actually pay for a Model 3 so we could thoroughly test it because it is selling so well that we really can’t ignore it anymore.”

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
Translation: “Normally auto companies give us free cars so they will get favorable reviews and we will provide them advertising space, but Tesla doesn’t advertise so we have no leverage over them and we had no choice but to actually pay for a Model 3 so we could thoroughly test it because it is selling so well that we really can’t ignore it anymore.”
I see people say this a lot, but giving a vehicle a bad review in a popular car magazine seems like a lot of leverage to me, regardless of advertising.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA

Quote: “In an unusual move, we went out and leased a Model 3 of our own, using our own money, for a 40,000-mile two-year test.”

Reminds me why I enjoy other publications that buy their own cars. And don't smother me with ads when I try and see their content and image galleries...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC