Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver Model 3 Test - Not Great

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t get some of these reviews. The Model 3s that i have sat in easily match the “luxury” feel of a 3-series or A4. The performance is better, the efficiency better and the steering is better.

The total opposite of reading a review on the latest Cadillac where the magazines breathlessly speak about how close GM is to the Germans and then going to go drive one and realizing how far far away GM actually is.

Model 3 is a hit. Will absolutely decimate every car in this class.

The total opposite of reading a review on the latest Cadillac where the magazines breathlessly speak about how close GM is to the Germans and then going to go drive one and realizing how far far away GM actually is.
Have you ever pushed a Cadillac with all the electronics aids turned off on a race course?

The typical review: "Sure the Cadillac handles better, is more predictable, is less money, and laps quicker, but the cupholders are plastic. We think the BMW is superior, because not only is the plastic interior EuroPlastic, it has a far better PoserIndex."

Reactions: Eclectic
Having read this and other TMC threads for quite some time now, I find it amusing/disturbing that honest and, for the most part constructive, criticism of Tesla and the Model 3 produces such vitriol among so many. It appears that you can only be "with us or against us."

I've been a proponent of non-ICE transportation for at least twice as long as most of you have been around. Although I didn't want to pay the price of a Roadster, I jumped on the Tesla bandwagon from day one with the hope and understanding that Elon would eventually produce the "everyman's" affordable EV. My cheering stands are 100 yds long and 50 ft high. At the same time we all knew that the promise of a $35K car was probably on the low side - but okay, I'm in for several grand more to move this project forward. I'll never see a Jetsons-type personal transportation but count me in to make the move to get there. So like so many of you I stood in line two years ago hoping to get my piece of the future at less than an privileged price, go green, put an end to ICE transportation (at the cost of some mild ridicule from acquaintances).

While the goal is in site for all of us, there seems to be a blind willingness to forgive just about anything to get to the end zone - and a willingness to 'settle' to get there. The promises that have gotten us all to this point have been overstated; the blind faith to accept whatever obstacles arise is revealing. I can now afford the $250K Roadster but I want the $35K Model 3 (okay, $60K). But at the same time I have a sense of what money is worth and won't settle for paying a BMW price or more for less than equally valued quality. The promise was not produce a $35K car; it was to produce the future of transportation for $35K - with the assumed price-per-dollar quality. Or were we all duped into accepting whatever it takes to get to the goal line?

I still have my reservation and I'm looking forward to receiving my invitation to configure. My money (read trust and confidence) is upfront and on the table. I expect that it will be treated with respect for the time and effort that I put in to get/put it there and there will be no assumption that I can/should be taken advantage of to produce/sell a product - no matter how forward-looking it may be.

I wish I can like your post x10.

Reading a post over Tesla forum where they call all Tesla owners /reservation holders to arm themselves against recent media attack on issues such as model S recall , fatal auto pilot accident On Model X, model 3 production delay and early defects/issues make me want to puke. People don’t call Tesla owners is a cult for no reason.

• Funny
Reactions: T34ME and erthquake
fatal auto pilot accident

It is simplistic to the point of being inaccurate to call it an "auto pilot accident". It ignores the fact that the driver ignored the warnings from the AP system to take the wheel and pay attention. It ignores the fact that the driver did absolutely nothing to take over or even slow down during the 5 second period where the car was headed directly for the concrete divider with an unimpeded view. It ignores the fact that, due to gross negligence, the crash attenuator was left in its collapsed state for way too long a period, and that if it had been reset, it most likely would have kept the driver alive. Why not call it a "collapsed crash attenuator accident" or "inattentive driver accident"? Because it's about clicks and it's about $. It most certainly isn't about being objective.

Now you're making up things that no one has said. Extraordinary means just that...not the absolute best, but very much above ordinary. What's ridiculous is to make up statements just because you don't like a comment.

I'm responding to the fact that you are calling the Model 3 drive-train "lowly" (really?), while defending C&D who thinks the Chevy Bolt was one of the 10 best cars of 2017. In C&D's Bolt write-up, they talk about how it is "quick", and how it has excellent range. And yet, when they write about the much quicker and much longer-range Model 3, they aren't happy. Which is it?

Reading a post over Tesla forum where they call all Tesla owners /reservation holders to arm themselves against recent media attack on issues such as model S recall , fatal auto pilot accident On Model X, model 3 production delay and early defects/issues make me want to puke.
m0991.gif
Don't let us stop you!

Any EV can be an only car.
Sure, as long as you never drive anywhere or are willing to put up with massive inconveniences. But trips are a non-starter in anything other than a Tesla, and only a few EVs can achieve any reasonable day's driving. (Ideally you need three days' commuting to cover most power outages.)

I wish I can like your post x10.

Reading a post over Tesla forum where they call all Tesla owners /reservation holders to arm themselves against recent media attack on issues such as model S recall , fatal auto pilot accident On Model X, model 3 production delay and early defects/issues make me want to puke. People don’t call Tesla owners is a cult for no reason.
You're on a Tesla enthusiast website. Just in case you forgot...

It is simplistic to the point of being inaccurate to call it an "auto pilot accident". It ignores the fact that the driver ignored the warnings from the AP system to take the wheel and pay attention. It ignores the fact that the driver did absolutely nothing to take over or even slow down during the 5 second period where the car was headed directly for the concrete divider with an unimpeded view. It ignores the fact that, due to gross negligence, the crash attenuator was left in its collapsed state for way too long a period, and that if it had been reset, it most likely would have kept the driver alive. Why not call it a "collapsed crash attenuator accident" or "inattentive driver accident"? Because it's about clicks and it's about $. It most certainly isn't about being objective.

AutoPilot actively drove a vehicle at high speed into a highway barrier. Regardless of any other factors. Don’t blame the victim.

Sure, as long as you never drive anywhere or are willing to put up with massive inconveniences. But trips are a non-starter in anything other than a Tesla, and only a few EVs can achieve any reasonable day's driving. (Ideally you need three days' commuting to cover most power outages.)

It's $121 roundtrip from San Diego to San Francisco. It takes 90 minutes. The electricity at Superchargers is .25, and minimum wage is $11/hr. The trip is 500mi each way with tons of SCs. The main route makes I-10 in West Texas seem scenic.

Obviously an EV is not saving you time, but it's not actually saving you money even if you work at McDonalds.

But? I'm not in the 'fries with that' end of the food chain anyhow. I'm not wasting 10+10 hours in a car if there are other options on the table.

The 'ICE is better at long hauls' is exactly as true as 'The BMW M3 is a better track car than the Tesla Model 3'. Both being irrelevant for most drivers. People don't drive track events often, people don't drive sedans cross country often if they can afford to fly instead.

And the same thing applies to EV range once you reach your convenience tipping point. Our tipping point is 3h30m. That's a 50/50 decision whether to fly or drive. And driving assumes non-stop at 85mph through mountains, something no BEV can do yet reliably. If it's too cold, or a headwind, it's out of range. On busy weekends, it's a flight. On normal ones, it's a drive.

You might drive everywhere you go. That's fine. Your best choice then is not a BEV if you like to go 'places' and do 'things'. No, there are not SC's everywhere yet, regardless of what you read on the web. For April 2018, ICE still holds the long-range and go-anywhere titles. But that doesn't matter for most drivers; it's a bar room debate, not a serious topic.

PS - Odd somebody from Texas would be expounding the virtues of EVs for long range travel. Did they finish support for the I-10 West yet? One of the few cross-country trips I've done a lot is California to Florida, and West Texas is a major segment. However, I am towing heavy on that run. Too big for an EV, too little for Class 8 EV.

Reactions: kablammyman
AutoPilot actively drove a vehicle at high speed into a highway barrier. Regardless of any other factors. Don’t blame the victim.
Because AP is not FSD. AP accidents are driver error accidents. Logs show the driver was alerted by audio and physical warnings at least 6 seconds and 150 meters (that's almost two american football field lengths) prior to impact. Something not right with that driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.