Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car and driver P90D 11.1 @ 121 MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fiksegts, this possibility escaped me earlier, and I just thought of it in looking at your Model X P90D vs Model S P90D videos.

Are you running the stock alignment specs for your Model S P90D ?

The reason why I ask is because the Model S stock alignment specs as of the date of the thread below, are listed in this thread.
Checked Alignment: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Page 10

I wonder how much impact a drag racing alignment. i.e. caster at 0, camber at 0, toe very close to 0 would have on quarter mile times for this car.

Or if not to this extreme in terms of the above listed specs, then something approaching those specs. I wonder what, if any impact that might have on quarter mile times for this car, and if this might also go a ways toward explaining the 11.1 reported.

Some opinions vary on the specs I stated above, but my point is that the goal of a drag racing alignment, or an alignment more biased toward drag racing, is specific for allowing the car to produce it's best results in a straight line and on an uncrowned surface which won't require any turns, such as a drag strip. Taken to the extreme, it is generally not suitable for normal street driving.

Seemingly subtle things like this, coupled with a minimally optioned version of the car with less weight, could be just enough to produce an 11.1 time out of an 11.2 time, or possibly even better, that the C&D article mentioned. Indeed, as there is some variability in cars, we don't even know what the alignment specs were for the C&D test car, nor have I seen anywhere that the specs are the same now as they've always been.

So really I have two musing here. The first is what benefit would one get were a drag racing alignment, or an alignment setup to benefit straight line performance used, and secondly, what were the alignment specs used in the test car and do they deviate from those seen in the thread?

Also, though it is probably impossible to tell now, but I'd also wonder if your alignment specs are the same now as they were when you first got the car and it was running 11.4, and if any change from then to now as a result of normal use, normal driving, may have had an impact on your improvement.

I intend to do some testing on my own car when the weather breaks, and wondered if you had any experience with altering the stock alignment specs on the Model S during any of your time trials.

Thanks

Last edited:
It appears Tesla is doubling down on the claims of a 10.9 quarter mile time for the P90D Ludicrous, in spite of the fact that no customer car to date has come close to achieving that time.

Below is a screen shot of the current offer of the P90D Ludicrous upgrade, available in the Tesla Shop for $10,000. It specifically states the car will achieve a 10.9 second quarter mile time.

Ludicrous Upgrade P90D.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
we just need a software update for the S to release more power, the X clearly has more power than the S....

You assume they use the same pack. Until somebody can confirm via some observations and math (i.e. like how many Wh/mile it's using for rated range, and 100% charge rated miles) to confirm the usable pack size, you could imagine there are more cells in it.

That's all well and good, but Tesla didn't sell the P90D Ludicrous with Carbon Fiber Rims. The car should be able to achieve a 10.9 quarter mile time in a configuration Tesla sells.

Correct. That is what they ADVERTISE as achievable in a stock configuration and what they use to JUSTIFY the $10,000 additional cost. Tesla needs to deliver on what they advertised.