Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver take on the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
high price for limited luxury
Over many years, I’ve learned that luxury to me is, in part, not having to go to a dealer and not needing to do the periodic maintenance required on an ICE.

I’ve also been a C&D subscriber for 27 years and last year decided to let it lapse due to a fundamental difference in opinion about the benefits of electric vehicles and sustainable transportation.

What an odd write-up. It was never meant to be anything more than an extension of the M3 line, the very thing she seems to criticize it the most for.

You need mainstream cars that generate a lot of cash to fund innovation. That's the same for any company, Tesla just went about it the opposite way that most other companies do. They start with the cash cow and then innovate.

There's literally nothing in there that dampens my enthusiasm for the car.

Tested: 2020 Tesla Model Y Crosses Over Into the Mainstream

Interesting... not sure I agree with their comparison.

"Looks just like a bloated 3 and drives worse, fit and finish issues, a high price for limited luxury."

I don't think the Auto Review Community knows how to review Tesla (Or probably any electric vehicle). Yes, Tesla are over priced when compared to ICE. Tesla has decided what feature set they want to produce. I have been a BMW owner for over 25 years. I have owned two X3. I am trading in my X3 for a MY. I am doing it because the MY will give me the same space as my X3. It will not be a luxury. But I gave up on BMW for over the air updates. Heck, couldn't even get Android Auto or Waze. Had to buy a Chinese Head unit to do it. Their driver aides lag behind Tesla. I can not warm up my X3 in the winter before I go get in it. I come from the Tech industry. I want a computer with wheels. One that the company is constantly updating and adding features. I expect that Tesla will change their software model over time. Just like Apple and Microsoft have done. I will probably have to pay for some new features and even pay a subscription. I hope not, but programmers cost a lot of money.

I have made the value decision. I have turned down two delivery dates on the MY. Tesla has to be more flexible with delivery appointments.

Tesla needs to get better at assembly and at customer service. That will only happen when the stockholders and the Board direct Musk to do it. Hope they do it before it impacts their bottom line. But history has shown that companies only make those changes when it is a crisis.

I am actually glad C&D gave Tesla a less than great review. Hopefully Tesla will heed what they said.

I don't think the Auto Review Community knows how to review Tesla (Or probably any electric vehicle). Yes, Tesla are over priced when compared to ICE. Tesla has decided what feature set they want to produce. I have been a BMW owner for over 25 years. I have owned two X3. I am trading in my X3 for a MY. I am doing it because the MY will give me the same space as my X3. It will not be a luxury. But I gave up on BMW for over the air updates. Heck, couldn't even get Android Auto or Waze. Had to buy a Chinese Head unit to do it. Their driver aides lag behind Tesla. I can not warm up my X3 in the winter before I go get in it. I come from the Tech industry. I want a computer with wheels. One that the company is constantly updating and adding features. I expect that Tesla will change their software model over time. Just like Apple and Microsoft have done. I will probably have to pay for some new features and even pay a subscription. I hope not, but programmers cost a lot of money.

I have made the value decision. I have turned down two delivery dates on the MY. Tesla has to be more flexible with delivery appointments.

Tesla needs to get better at assembly and at customer service. That will only happen when the stockholders and the Board direct Musk to do it. Hope they do it before it impacts their bottom line. But history has shown that companies only make those changes when it is a crisis.

I am actually glad C&D gave Tesla a less than great review. Hopefully Tesla will heed what they said.

I have a MY on order (delayed it to January over quality concerns). The main vehicle I was cross-shopping was a BMW X3. Most of my cars have been BMWs including my current 1-series. Besides what you mentioned any other reasons you are shying away from the X3? One concern I have is the driving dynamics. The only other Tesla I have driven is a Performance M3 which obviously is going to be different than the MY. As you know driving a BMW there is something about the way it connects you to the road that I feel I will miss.

Reactions: Levo
I received MY a week ago. There were 8 quality issues (6 trim alignment, back seat alignment, 1 paint dusk mark). Schedule service for Friday and these items are easy to fix. I have to say I so happy I didn't delay my order. Overall it's so fun to drive, lot of space and head room. Great navigate on autopilot on highway, local roads are a work in progress, but I love using it. You need to pay more attention with local autopilot since you need to take over on roundabouts and some turns, and click the stalk at traffic lights to continue although I just received an S/W update that minimizes that today. I like the simplistic layout large sunroof and wish you the best when you receive yours.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I have a MY on order (delayed it to January over quality concerns). The main vehicle I was cross-shopping was a BMW X3. Most of my cars have been BMWs including my current 1-series. Besides what you mentioned any other reasons you are shying away from the X3? One concern I have is the driving dynamics. The only other Tesla I have driven is a Performance M3 which obviously is going to be different than the MY. As you know driving a BMW there is something about the way it connects you to the road that I feel I will miss.

You ask a great question. I think it is different for each owner. Part of my reason to change from BMW X3 to Tesla Model Y is for the sake of change. Have owned two X3. I think BMW is in a very difficult situation. Their motto: "Ultimate Driving Machine" is not what owners are now looking for in a SUV. People want driving aids. Auto Pilot is Tesla's response. BMW is lagging the industry. I have driven the latest model of X3. Their driver assist is just plain BAD. My other dissatisfaction with BMW is their infotainment system and updates. They do not update deployed systems. This is a major problem when you get a new phone. My 2016 BMW does not provide all the text/email features on my Google Pixel 2 XL. I only get phonebook and bluetooth music. They claim they have a user software update capability, but each time I go and get the latest update and try to update my car it says the update is not for my car. Then when you ask the service center. They can't tell you if their update will fix the issue, but they want to charge for doing the update.

BMW cars are great if you want a sedan or suv that is sporty. But the MY will beat it 0-60 or cornering. So it is worth the premium price to get a BMW X3?

After I get my MY; I will see if I miss my BMW X3 and driving it. Something tells me I won't.

Over many years, I’ve learned that luxury to me is, in part, not having to go to a dealer and not needing to do the periodic maintenance required on an ICE.

I’ve also been a C&D subscriber for 27 years and last year decided to let it lapse due to a fundamental difference in opinion about the benefits of electric vehicles and sustainable transportation.

I agree with this 100%.

Tesla's definition of luxury is not the same as traditional luxury brands. I came from owning Land Rovers, but the real kind, Defenders, Discovery I's, RRCs. None of the newer mall-crawlers that they make now. I did own a 2014 Range Rover and after trading it in to get our second Tesla, those quilted leather seats and all other luxury appointments look a little too garish to me now. Search YouTube for James May's review of his personal Tesla Model S, he gets it.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I think the Auto Review Industry knows EXACTLY how to review Teslas. Harp on minor issues, misrepresent and try hard to slow the move away from ICE vehicles. They may delay it, but they’re doomed. I suspect in 5-10 years, used ICE vehicles will have declining resale values.

What did they misrepresent? What did they harp on?

You dismiss issues, and they are minor, but I don’t see them in ALL CAPS or half the article dedicated to them like you make it sound. They stated what they were and moved on.

Tesla quality sucks. Admit it. And get over others pointing it out.

Reactions: iamnid
I think C&D generally likes EVs but know where their bread is buttered. Plus there simply aren't enough EV models to support a magazine's worth of content. They bought a Tesla with their own cash to do a long term test. Ezra Dyer recently talked about how EVs have ruined his view of what quick is.

They are also generally anti-SUV and so it is natural that they will prefer the 3 over the Y.

I don't mind an honest review, but this one seem disingenuous, The most obvious thing that leapt out at me was the sluggishness comment. Have they only driven performance Tesla's their entire life, and never experienced an ICE vehicle?

We took delivery on Saturday, and the LR AWD non-performance Y is great. We have a Model S 100D and have driven performance 3's before. Spoiler alert: It's great! Like all non-performance Tesla's, it doesn't leap off the start, but compared to everything else, it does. And once going over 10 mph, it's fast and pushes you back in the seat. Was it perfect? No, there was a slight gap between the headlight, bumper, and fender that they'll fix, but that was about it. BTW, I checked our Jaguar F-Pace that we were trading in. Guess what, the panel gaps were awful, and the window trim between the back door and quarter panel was the worse than any I've ever seen from Tesla. But guess what: we never noticed, and loved the SUV. Go figure. Tesla haters have done an outstanding job of getting us to focus on something that most of us never noticed until now.

Overall, regardless of nit-noid issues, I feel it's all worth it. I'll probably never buy a non-Tesla again. It's like back in 1915 complaining that the stitching on the seats of this new invention called a car isn't as good as the stitching on a horse drawn carriage, to which I say, who cares!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've noticed that Tesla really doesn't advertise in print publications. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Burn1010 you're making an excellent point. I used to write articles for some gun magazines. I could not pan any firearm I was testing. They (the articles) were, for all practical purposes, puff-pieces.

I have no doubt that as Tesla does not purchase advertising from any print publication, then their writers can vent their spleens with abandon on Tesla products.

Rich