Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver take on the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Speedr117 - The interwebs is littered with disingenuous articles about Tesla. I'm sure @burn1010 has a valid point there, but it's not just limited to print media. YouTube is filled with automotive journalists (or wannabes) that incorrectly spew "facts" about Tesla. Perfect example is those guys from Colorado who bought a Model X. They put out tests, Tesla vs (ICE Vehicle) and everything is biased towards the ICE

In fairness, I think it takes owning one and using it daily for you to realize the advantages of owning an EV, especially a Tesla with the vast S/C network. I love everything mechanical and thought Tesla's were toaster oven appliances, until I bought my S in 2016. It really changed my view on looking at new cars now.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Right now, Tesla is on a roll. They are a real threat to the legacy auto makers.

Headlines that note the improvements from Tesla get little controversy, but a negative one gets lots of eyeballs.

Basic drumbeat is that Tesla makes some amazingly efficient and clean running cars. They perform well and provide a great driving experience, but lack the noises that ICE cars usually make. The tech is rapidly evolving, but still has some issues with edge cases.

Latest reporting seems to be based on the multiple forum posts of new owners complaining about fit/finish/paint issues. These seem to be a real irritant to buyers who desire a certain pride of ownership when making the leap of faith to choose Tesla. Their cars command a premium price over ICE cars and they want their cars to reflect that fact. A misaligned panel or blob of paint takes some of the joy away and they reasonably feel let down.

Imagine that Tesla is working like crazy to get these issues under control, but at the same time they are under tremendous pressure to constantly ramp up production volumes.

It is obvious to many, that the current stock price gives justification to Tesla's decision to supply more cars to the heavy demand they are seeing. That slowing down deliveries to attend to the small adjustments and polishing takes a back seat to achieving EOQ delivery numbers.

Some have surmised that part of the problem is due to their California production facility being located in California. The emissions restrictions and using an older, refurbished plant is not going to be able to match the quality output that a fresh sheet of paper facility could achieve.

Some say that they are dreamers. That management is tech based and inexperienced in the heavy ways of producing an industrial automobile. That their workforce is not cut out of the cloth that can show greatness in work ethic and make the efforts necessary to produce world class assembly. They surmise that instead of 100% focus on the details, that Tesla is instead working like crazy to get their cost down in a rentless persuit of reducing their production selling prices to enlarge their marketplace and maintain demand.

Imagine the truth is somewhere to be found in these issues, but Tesla has its eyes on the future and is hell bent for leather building fresh new plants all around the Globe. These plants will implement the many changes that have been gained from experience and struggle. That these new plants will produce a much greater level of fit and finish than the aging Fremont plant.

Meanwhile, picky buyers and lazy media will continue to churn out press that our beloved family dog has some fleas.

Right now, Tesla is on a roll. They are a real threat to the legacy auto makers.

Latest reporting seems to be based on the multiple forum posts of new owners complaining about fit/finish/paint issues. These seem to be a real irritant to buyers who desire a certain pride of ownership when making the leap of faith to choose Tesla.
***​
I agree, Tesla is on a roll. And if the company can quickly get their QC issues in order, I am confident that Tesla will "own" the industry. This is a pretty big "if." A company can depend on customer forbearance for only so long before they loose market share. The EV business, as you are well aware, is a tough place to be in.

I'm not a "picky" person. A smudge here and there wouldn't cause me upset. Misaligned panels, seats that went in poorly aligned, gouges in the paint, paint of different shades on assorted panels of the car, and is so delicate that you can't take your Tesla into an automatic car wash, really? And the photos shown by the MY purchasers, on this forum, are compelling. Some show a degree of sloppiness that is unconscionable.

I want to buy a MY. That is my desire. I am hoping that Tesla management will wake up, realize the peril they are now in (and it is real peril) and correct the problems so I can purchase my MY in the Fall with a fair degree of confidence that I'll be buying a well put together (but not a perfect) auto.

Rich

What an odd write-up. It was never meant to be anything more than an extension of the M3 line, the very thing she seems to criticize it the most for.

You need mainstream cars that generate a lot of cash to fund innovation. That's the same for any company, Tesla just went about it the opposite way that most other companies do. They start with the cash cow and then innovate.

There's literally nothing in there that dampens my enthusiasm for the car.
Going about it the opposite way is the secret to their success.

Before Tesla, when I thought about EV's, what came to mind were glorified golf-carts and worst-of-both-worlds hybrids. Musk put out an EV that makes ICE's look dated and charged through the roof for that. He then piled the money into R&D until he could sell mainstream EV's (the 3 and Y) that were still amazing.

This is the sort of thing that makes for a great case study in business classes.