TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car and Driver Tests Acoustically Insulated Tires in Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by cab, Oct 6, 2016.

1. cab

cab Member

I posted this is another thread, but it is probably worth its own thread. Hardly a super comprehensive test, but their limited test does seem to show a reduction in "tone" at certain frequencies. In addition, "impact nose" seems to be where more of the reduction in tone occurs.

Enjoy:
    Tested: Do Acoustically Insulated Tires Really Hush Road Noise?

• Informative x 1
  2. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

I've got the Goodyears. Tire thump doesn't seem to be reduced to my untrained ears

3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

This post will probably save me money down the road.

Thanks.

4. Got-EMF

Got-EMF Member

Might be due simply to new tires as commented on in the linked article, but for my 2013 less insulated model, there was a noticeable difference. I would say more in the 500Hz range.

5. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Not exactly a ringing endorsement ... :cool: Sounds levels actually increased on smooth asphalt.

upload_2016-10-12_0-36-53.png

6. typhune

typhune Member

Seems like the best approach would be for tesla to add noise-cancelling to tech to the stereo. Same principle as the headphones, just reverse the soundwaves and pump it through the inside speakers. Voila, no noise.

7. Lightmatrix

Lightmatrix Member

Those noise reduction tires almost screwed me when I got a nail in the tire. The local Goodyear shop would not fix the flat without a Tesla SC blessing that this tire could be repaired. When I called the SC they said it could not be repaired, which seemed unbelievable to me. While the Goodyear shop tried to find the same tire to order to replace mine, I did some Google ninja work and located the European flat fix manual for those tires online.

Good enough for the Goodyear guy, fixed the flat for free, and learned something new.

• Helpful x 1
  8. typhune

typhune Member

Could you post it, or the link to it? That might come in handy...

9. Lightmatrix

Lightmatrix Member

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

With my own several expriements with acoustical lining of tires -- including shipping tires to Europe to have them foam lined and lining them myself -- I've concluded that foam lining of tires does little to impact road noise in the cabin. The biggest effect is on frequencies that make very little sensory difference to the ear. So I've concluded that it's all hype by the tire manufacturers to command a higher price and margin from the sale of tires.

• Informative x 5
  11. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

In theory it sounds good but in reality it will just cost me more money whenever I have to buy new tires. :(

12. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

My 2012 sig came with 21" Continental tires that always sounded quite noisy to me. I haace a winter set of 19" rims with Primacy tires that was significantly quieter. However I used my referral credit to get ContiSilent 21" replacement tires and they are by far the quietest of all.

I don't have any DB or SPL readings just my ears. Personally I would buy them again.

13. iffatall

iffatall Member

14. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

15. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

It does sound good, but is there a difficulty in trying to cancel noise in a large cabin (cf small ear- or head-phones) because of the phase effects / time delay of the noise coming from different parts of the cabin and reaching different ears at different times?
    Maybe a good reduction can be effected by a "close-enough" approach for some frequencies / some sources only?