Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and driver VP9 launches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People are asking that question in the TM blogs. Apparently the traction control does that automatically.

I don't know why it still happens in the video where traction control is supposedly off.

(Many types of traction control automatically apply the friction brakes to limit wheelspin. You could have the PEM limit motor torque itself, but then it wouldn't be able to manage slippage on individual wheels)

Last edited:
(Many types of traction control automatically apply the friction brakes to limit wheelspin. You could have the PEM limit motor torque itself, but then it wouldn't be able to manage slippage on individual wheels)

Hmm. According to This Car & Driver article they say:
"extremely quick-reacting traction control (which doesn't require brake intervention) because of the motor's ability to react instantly."
So perhaps those brake lights are flickering just when the PEM decides to restrict torque due to detected wheel slippage?
Without a limited slip differential I guess that means that you are acceleration limited by the (rear) wheel with the least traction. Some other systems might let you accelerate quicker with one wheel on ice and the other on gravel. (I am probably oversimplifying the whole situation though)

The brake lights should not be coming on with the traction control activated. There is something not working correctly if the brake lights are activated when the tration control engages. Traction control is not related to braking.

[y o u t u b e]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LlCKufLtc[/ y o u t u b e]
(without the spaces)

Exciting as in - good thing the roadster didn't fishtail into that oncoming traffic!
I don't think I would want to try that trick with a prototype. Having one wheel on wet, and one on dry could be risky under full acceleration. That driver probably owes his/her health to some firmware guys that did their homework.

Last edited by a moderator: