Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does Car and Driver always bash on Tesla? Their rankings in the electric car segment does not seem right. Also, if you read their reviews of the cars that are "better" than M3 or MY, they bash on the other cars in their own reviews, but still gives M3 and MY a lower overall score. Seems like they have a vendetta against Tesla. What's the deal?

Here's a quote: But between Electrify America's growing charging network and the long-range EVs from Ford and Volkswagen, there's no longer a reason why Tesla should own this segment. —K.C. Colwell

The magazines take turns being bias. And let's not ignore ad revenue's effect on car ratings.

This paper investigates the existence of a possible media bias by analyzing the impact of automobile manufacturers’ advertisements on automobile reviews in a leading German car magazine. By accounting for both endogeneity and sample selection using a two-step procedure, we find a positive impact of advertising volumes on test scores. The main advantage of our study is the measurement of technical characteristics of cars to explain test scores. Due to this kind of measurement, we avoid serious biases in estimating media bias caused by omitted variables.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Go drive a Mach E and let us all know. We all should. Ford is an excellent manufacturer and glad to see them jumping into the EV market.

Personally, alot of what I buy a car for is how it looks and feels . For some Telsa models, they can be slightly modified to look much better. But I really want to drive a Mach E and just see what its like having owned a 2020 MYP for a bit.

Not sure on the C/D $$ advertising issue, there may be truth to that theory. They are car guys too, so they usually are pretty fair. I cant see them blatantly calling 10-8 rounds in favor of the guy who was getting knocked down. But if the rounds were 10-9, they could easily show bias towards the Giant who is paying their salaries.

This is certain : the big 3 are coming after Tesla from every angle, they will never stop, and Tesla will never enjoy such a big lead over of the competition as they once did. The lack of Tesla service centers + extremely poor communication are huge weaknesses which a giant manufacturer with dealers on every corner and service advisors to answer phones can easily exploit. You would think that should be an easy fix for Tesla, but they dont seem to want to address it ... yet.

Anyway, I welcome Mach E and any other vehicle which makes Tesla sweat. Its better for us.

Last edited:
There's a guy on YouTube named Sam Alexander that's routinely calling out media for this type of thing (along with other misinformation and FUD). https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTheShinx. Not all of his videos are great but he does make some pretty good points.

EDIT: note, I have no affiliation and am not trying to drum up view counts for anyone. I'm also neither a Tesla fanboy/apologist nor a basher. I like the product and own a MY with my partner, but know they are by no means perfect. End of disclaimers for now. Your mileage may vary. Objects in mirror may appear closer than they are.

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
Go drive a Mach E and let us all know. We all should. Ford is an excellent manufacturer and glad to see them jumping into the EV market.

Personally, alot of what I buy a car for is how it looks and feels . For some Telsa models, they can be slightly modified to look much better. But I really want to drive a Mach E and just see what its like having owned a 2020 MYP for a bit.

Not sure on the C/D $$ advertising issue, there may be truth to that theory. They are car guys too, so they usually are pretty fair. I cant see them blatantly calling 10-8 rounds in favor of the guy who was getting knocked down. But if the rounds were 10-9, they could easily show bias towards the Giant who is paying their salaries.

This is certain : the big 3 are coming after Tesla from every angle, they will never stop, and Tesla will never enjoy such a big lead over of the competition as they once did. The lack of Tesla service centers + extremely poor communication are huge weaknesses which a giant manufacturer with dealers on every corner and service advisors to answer phones can easily exploit. You would think that should be an easy fix for Tesla, but they dont seem to want to address it ... yet.

Anyway, I welcome Mach E and any other vehicle which makes Tesla sweat. Its better for us.
Spot on! The more competition the better and Tesla will step up it's game, in the product as well as customer service.

The magazines take turns being bias. And let's not ignore ad revenue's effect on car ratings.

Jens Meiners.

Why does Car and Driver always bash on Tesla? Their rankings in the electric car segment does not seem right. Also, if you read their reviews of the cars that are "better" than M3 or MY, they bash on the other cars in their own reviews, but still gives M3 and MY a lower overall score. Seems like they have a vendetta against Tesla. What's the deal?

Here's a quote: But between Electrify America's growing charging network and the long-range EVs from Ford and Volkswagen, there's no longer a reason why Tesla should own this segment. —K.C. Colwell

Tesla will become "fairly" treated when they decide they want to make the effort to be so. First step might be to re-establish a PR department. However, right now they choose to not engage magazines and media outlets at all. Using car magazines as an example, they do not advertise, they do not schmooze, they do not even provide cars for testing. Many of the Tesla road tests that I have read had to make use of cars borrowed, or rented, from private owners. When you consider all of that, they have not done so badly. The most recent C&D article I have read compares Teslas with other cars on a 1000 mile road trip. Supercharger network won hands down. :)