Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver's '16-'19 Cars Worth Waiting For. No Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And given Tesla's history of multi-year delays in bringing new models to market, it's not unreasonable to be skeptical of the stated 2017 launch date. I am optimistic that it will happen, but I'm not betting money on it.

Yeah, back in 2011 they said we would have the "next gen Roadster" by 2014...
Tesla Model S platform to spawn next-gen Roadster, other new models | New and Used Car Reviews, Research & Automotive-Industry News & LeftLaneNews
...Aside from the 3-Series competitor and the already announced Model X crossover, Tesla is also likely to build a cabriolet off the Model S platform. The latter two models should come to the market in 2013...
Did we get that Model S cabriolet in 2013? Nope... I am basically in "I will believe it when I see it mode."

I gather the press got some of those ideas from the IPO filing...
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000119312510149105/d424b4.htm#toc51863_6
...We do not currently plan to begin selling our next generation Tesla Roadster until at least one year after the launch of the Model S, which is expected to be in production in 2012...

Note, it says "at least" which gives them wiggle room to delay as long as they need...

Last edited: