Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Drivers comment about the Model 3....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waste of space, time and effort ! Bob Lutz is a has been ! Low IQ old man who is now nearing the end of his intellectual life !

But he is a passionate man and that is great !

Passion, love and history mean nothing in this universe.

The future always unfolds on its own, and always has......and old paradigms die .....along with those who were great at a particular point in time in the 4D universe !

History is replete with these examples !

Referring to Bob Lutz is like referring to Neanderthals !

Has Tesla Sunk Itself With the Model X?

"Frankly, I’m with Bob Lutz, who suggested recently that
Tesla should make the Model 3 a gorgeous little hybrid with a gasoline range extender.
It may dim the electric brand’s snow-white purity, but at this point, it may also save the company."

This is the last paragraph of the article. Is this your opinion too?

Just trying to clarify because I disagree with that paragraph and Bob Lutz. I was tempted to "dislike" the post like the others since before I read the article I assumed it was your opinion.

BTW, I do have to kind of thank Lutz for spreading this FUD and subsequently bringing the price down temporarily so that I could buy more TSLA. If there's more FUD that sticks and brings the price down again, I'll buy more. No need for a gasoline range extender to save the company.

Yep, they're still operating under the old-school paradigm that, aside from tree-huggers and EV enthusiasts, the broader car buying public expects a vehicle to have a gasoline engine. They must be bewildered now as to why, in just two days, a quarter-million people have plunked down $1,000 each for an all-electric Model 3. They either don't get it or they're in denial, but if they don't adapt soon, they may find that their customers have already moved on ahead of them.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
This is the last paragraph of the article. Is this your opinion too?

Just trying to clarify because I disagree with that paragraph and Bob Lutz. I was tempted to "dislike" the post like the others since before I read the article I assumed it was your opinion.

I have read the article and as this line is quoted directly out of that article... incl. "..." sign (sorry, English is not my native language) I conclude that @NeverFollow wanted to inform us that this article is around.... (but, when in doubt it is a good thing to check that!).
If I'm correct on that one, then I think you may dislike the article and the conclusion itself (as do I) but not the messenger who wanted to inform us.... In that case I do not think the dislikes are appropriate.... But again, sometimes I miss the subtle things in other languages so please correct me if I'm wrong (preferable not by disliking my comment...)

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
Yep, they're still operating under the old-school paradigm that, aside from tree-huggers and EV enthusiasts, the broader car buying public expects a vehicle to have a gasoline engine. They must be bewildered now as to why, in just two days, a quarter-million people have plunked down $1,000 each for an all-electric Model 3. They either don't get it or they're in denial, but if they don't adapt soon, they may find that their customers have already moved on ahead of them.
Exactly right after being spoiled by an descent BEV most don't want to buy an combustion car again. So if Tesla sell 500000 cars in 2020 and counting all the previous years there will be almost 1 million people off the combustion car market for life just from Tesla.

Exactly right after being spoiled by an descent BEV most don't want to buy an combustion car again. So if Tesla sell 500000 cars in 2020 and counting all the previous years there will be almost 1 million people off the combustion car market for life just from Tesla.
if the Bolt, new i3, and the rest also sell over the next few years - it may be way more than just 1 million by the end of 2020.. I credit Tesla (and Musk) almost entirely with the wave of new EV's coming out.. The revolution they sparked is much larger than just Tesla's output itself.

1 barrel of oil can produce 19 gallons of gas (or so the internet says).

How much gas does the average person burn a week? 15? 20? For the sake of argument lets say 15, which is probably a nice average between ICE and hybrid owners.

300K new BEVs will save roughly 234 million gallons of gas a year OR 12.3 million barrels of oil

The US currently imports about 9.4 million barrels of oil a day. Let's look at where it comes from (via How much petroleum does the United States import and export? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)):

Top sources and amounts of U.S. petroleum imports, exports, and net imports, 2015 (million barrels per day)
Import sources
| Gross imports | Exports | Net imports
Total, all countries | 9.40 | 4.75 | 4.65
OPEC countries | 2.90 (31%) | 0.25 | 2.65
Persian Gulf countries | 1.51 (16%) | 0.01 | 1.50
Top five countries
Canada | 3.75 (40%) | 0.95 | 2.81
Saudi Arabia | 1.06 (11%) | 0.00 | 1.06
Venezuela | 0.83 (9%) | 0.08 | 0.75
Mexico | 0.76 (8%) | 0.69 | 0.07
Columbia | 0.39 (4%) | 0.17 | 0.22

Now that 12.3 million barrels saved a year is a blip against ALL imports (but still impressive!), but I'm pretty sure the Saudis would notice a 3-4% permanent decline in oil consumption. Which in reality will be even greater given the mandate in the US for more fuel efficient ICE vehicles.

My feelings on this: Bring on the BEVs, and start cutting imports from outside North America as fast as you can. Start with Saudi Arabia, then the rest of OPEC, and save Canada for last. Please.

if the Bolt, new i3, and the rest also sell over the next few years - it may be way more than just 1 million by the end of 2020.. I credit Tesla (and Musk) almost entirely with the wave of new EV's coming out.. The revolution they sparked is much larger than just Tesla's output itself.

I have read the article and as this line is quoted directly out of that article... incl. "..." sign (sorry, English is not my native language) I conclude that @NeverFollow wanted to inform us that this article is around.... (but, when in doubt it is a good thing to check that!).
If I'm correct on that one, then I think you may dislike the article and the conclusion itself (as do I) but not the messenger who wanted to inform us.... In that case I do not think the dislikes are appropriate.... But again, sometimes I miss the subtle things in other languages so please correct me if I'm wrong (preferable not by disliking my comment...)

The word for that is "ellipsis"

Totally disagree with Lutz. If I had wanted a hybrid, I'd have one already. Personally, not a fan of hybrids; too many working parts and much more complex than a standard ICE, and kinda defeats the purpose (and simplicity) of an electric car to me.

Reactions: BBryson

Yes, that is why I pointed out that NeverFollow looked like he was quoting the last paragraph of the article. I couldn't (and still can't) tell if that is how he or she feels. At that time there were only 2 dislikes, now there are 7. The messenger is getting pretty shot up right now. Would have been better if the messenger stated:

The last paragraph of the article says.... " ". (ellipsis?)

Because right off the bat it looks likes NeverFollow's opinion.

And, ah yes! the painful ambiguity of English.

Last edited:
His and such quotes are from shills. When will the media discount them? Oh wait, the media are shills too. Bought and paid for.

Shill:
A person engaged in covert advertising. The shill attempts to spread buzz by personally endorsing the product in public forums with the pretense of sincerity, when in fact he is being paid for his services.

In this case shilling for industries in denial, who would NOT benefit from the EV revolution and lack of burning carcinogens.

Carcinogen:
A substance capable of causing cancer in living tissue.

Reactions: Ryan P and GoTslaGo
Bob Lutz seems to "slightly" change his tune from recently seeing a Model 3 in Ann Arbor, MI. From "Bob Lutz Talks Panel Gaps, Tesla, and Why Every Detail Matters":

...when next to the car, I was stunned. Not only was the paint without any discernible flaw, but the various panels formed a body of precision that was beyond reproach. Gaps from hood to fenders, doors to frame, and all the others appeared to be perfectly even, equal side-to-side, and completely parallel. Gaps of 3.5 to 4.5mm are considered word-class. This Model 3 measured up.

...it was impossible to find fault with the visual quality of that Model 3. It looked like a fiberglass model as seen in design, before the production go-ahead. In those models, the panels are not assembled: it's all one surface, and the separations are simulated by a routed groove.

Reactions: japhule and Brovane