Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver's Ezra Dyer Writes a Letter to Tesla in April 2015 Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That article, the line about disclosing felonies, does actually unintentionally suggest an advantage of car dealerships. The sort of hardcore salesperson-liar type you encounter there may well be a psychopath (seriously). So it may be preferable to have all those types staying in one building instead of out on the streets. Kind of like a mental institution where you get paid. :)

Very good - though I think I'd have been more cutting about the mysterious 'flushes' that seem to populate ICE service receipts these days (Brake Flush, Oil Flush, Transmission Flush - all absolute bollocks)

Electron Flush, Tyre Flush (because, you know, you really should change the air in your tyres), Heater Vent Flush,,,, could all be used by GM on the Volt service schedule

All leading to the ever popular "wallet flush" ...

The only slightly discordant item was the reference to the "extended warranty," to which Tesla owners are no strangers. Though, in my experience, we are a least spared the high pressure sales pitch on that! Instead, we just get to worry about the possibly annual 12V battery and drivetrain replacements and whether they continue after our base warranty expires in 4 yrs or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Not that I don't love my Tesla, mind you!

I have long regretted any return trips made to dealerships for service, and attempted to get my cars serviced by independent mechanics. Tesla is certainly not down with that approach any more than the others, as evidenced by warnings about "hacking" the car, officially cited as a business risk in their annual report. Tesla proactive service notwithstanding, I'll be glad when there are enough EVs on the roads to spawn independent electronikers willing to work on them. As things stand now, my favorite mechanics are unwilling to work on so much as a hybrid, if the work involves the electrical system, as in for example, adding a trailer hitch with brake lights. We'll get there someday, I'm sure...

His "Dyer Consequences" Automobile Mag columns were usually gems like this one. He's one of my favorite auto mag writers, second only to Natalie Neff (Autoweek). Unfortunately I was forced to cancel my subscription to Autoweek when their head hancho, Dutch Mandel, decided he needed to devote an entire column advising readers why TSLA, and thus Tesla, was a bad investment.

Don't forget Autoweek's parent company, Crain Communications, also publishes Automotive News, the industry standard for dealers. I'm sure there were some back-room "conversations" about how he'd handle Tesla coverage.

C&D is my favorite car rag. I was always a fan of the late David E. Davis, and enjoyed the 'attitude' that he infused into C&D and his later efforts.

I started typing a diatribe about timekeeping in the typical car and how poorly designed the clocks typically are. But decided to spare everyone.

Very good - though I think I'd have been more cutting about the mysterious 'flushes' that seem to populate ICE service receipts these days (Brake Flush, Oil Flush, Transmission Flush - all absolute bollocks)

Electron Flush, Tyre Flush (because, you know, you really should change the air in your tyres), Heater Vent Flush,,,, could all be used by GM on the Volt service schedule

We still own an Acura TL and today we were out running errands in the D during the Acura's scheduled maintenance. A nice young woman at the dealer called and said, "While we have it up on the lift, may we suggest a coolant flush, and a brake flush?..." :biggrin:

When I hear automotive dealers making the case for why nobody should be able to sell direct, I can't help but thinking of the line from the Cohen brothers film Miller's Crossing: "It's gettin' so a businessman can't expect no return from a fixed fight. Now, if you can't trust a fix, what can you trust?" -- Johnny Casper

Thanks for sharing the column. I used to read Automobile Magazine and enjoyed his funny contributions. Did anyone else see the recent news about Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) warning would-be Hellcat customers to be careful to not be taken advantage of from some of their own unscrupulous dealers?! Crazy....

Anything to get you in the door. Who knows what problem they might find as they're setting the clock?

Was think the same thing.

I wonder how much of a battle dealerships had with Mercedes over automatic clocks. Cause remember kids, automatic clocks kill jobs!

I wonder if people turn up an hour late for their clock resetting appointment :D

LOL! (x 2)

I really think it is unfair that we are all piling on to the Auto Dealers. Clearly they provide absolutely necessary services to the car owning public. As evidence, I got this from my local Mercedes Dealer this am....
View attachment 74005

1. Holy **** are people that useless?
2. They don't understand software. Neither does BMW. The car knows your timezone and the date, and yet it cannot do DST. Half of what Tesla does is software.

1. Holy **** are people that useless?
2. They don't understand software. Neither does BMW. The car knows your timezone and the date, and yet it cannot do DST. Half of what Tesla does is software.

You have got to be kidding me. You have to take your Benz into the dealer to have the clock reset for Daylight Savings Time? And they pitch that as good customer service? Catch 22 all the way.