Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Anti-theft System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has no official presence in Russia, so fans created their own service center

I am not sure about current sanctions with new administration but the congress does make some exceptions (such as allowing imports of Russian rockets to the U.S. because only SpaceX uses U.S. rockets but other contractors are still using Russian rockets.)
But they don't sell cars in Russia. Of course there would be no repair centers there.

That's like me buying a palm tree in Chicago and complaining that there are no palm tree landscapers here. They don't sell palm trees in Chicago.

Last edited:
Luxury cars are stolen all the time, thieves don't care about the price of the car...
Come on. Luxury cars are not stolen nearly as much as non-luxury. That was my point. Why is everyone in here just trying to be right while not understanding the conversations? Is there some kind of prizes being given out that I'm missing?

When was the last Maybach that was stolen?

They care about what they can sell it for. Not the purchase price. They care about what they can sell the parts for.

Sure they care about the price. Rarely does a car thief plan on using the car for himself.

But they don't sell cars in Russia.

You are right: In theory, if they don't sell Tesla in Russia so there should be no Tesla in Russia. Since there is no Tesla in Russia, then there should be no demand for Tesla spare parts.

However, that is not the reality because there are about 300 Teslas running around in Russian with no support from Tesla and they are screaming for help.

That explains the demand for Tesla spare parts even there is no selling in Russia.

You are right: In theory, if they don't sell Tesla in Russia so there should be no Tesla is Russia. Since there is no Tesla in Russia, then there should be no demand for Tesla spare parts.

However, that is not the reality because there are about 300 Teslas running around in Russian with no support from Tesla and they are screaming for help.

That explains the demand for Tesla spare parts even there is no selling in Russia.
Why would Tesla support their product......where they don't sell it.

If someone got their tesla to the moon........is Tesla supposed to support that too?

Why would Tesla support their product......where they don't sell it.

If someone got their tesla to the moon........is Tesla supposed to support that too?

I am not saying that you are wrong.

According to your view point, it is perfectly sensible:

Tesla doesn't support where they don't sell.

Thus, there is no spare parts demands where they don't sell.

I am just saying in reality, spare parts demands exist even when there is not official Tesla selling and no official Tesla support.

Maybe users should be given the option to enable additional layers of authentication such as mobile app random key generation and passphrase protection on main display. That way those who find this type of security features difficult to handle can have them disabled while others can benefit from additional layers of security.

And those who like good old physical security locks can also forego soft keys / passwords and get themselves heavy duty locks and keys.

See Disklok

Every see the movie The Transporter? In the movie he uses a keypad to enter a pin password to start his car. Why the heck can't Tesla make a software update available so that owner's have to enter a six digit password on the flat screen keypad in order to put their car into Drive. Owner's can still do everything else with the car, but the car will not move until the owner enters the six digit pin. And yes, the owner can disable this security feature if they wish to.

Reactions: JoaoD and JeffK
Every see the movie The Transporter? In the movie he uses a keypad to enter a pin password to start his car. Why the heck can't Tesla make a software update available so that owner's have to enter a six digit password on the flat screen keypad in order to put their car into Drive. Owner's can still do everything else with the car, but the car will not move until the owner enters the six digit pin. And yes, the owner can disable this security feature if they wish to.

Yes, Tesla should do this. Look at what IT systems do these days - more security layers there are, more of a deterrent it becomes. Common sense is important, there will always be weak points and nothing is guaranteed to be 100% safe but I am quite certain insurers will take note of any additional security built into the car.

Furthermore, in the sensor front, we see thumb print sensors, eye scanners, voice character recognition and associated algorithms have now become very good to the point that they are usable in hard wearing environments so if Tesla really wanted, there are solutions out there to detect identity of driver but I guess the return on investment is minimal.

Yes, Tesla should do this. Look at what IT systems do these days - more security layers there are, more of a deterrent it becomes. Common sense is important, there will always be weak points and nothing is guaranteed to be 100% safe but I am quite certain insurers will take note of any additional security built into the car.

Furthermore, in the sensor front, we see thumb print sensors, eye scanners, voice character recognition and associated algorithms have now become very good to the point that they are usable in hard wearing environments so if Tesla really wanted, there are solutions out there to detect identity of driver but I guess the return on investment is minimal.
I love the idea, however this would have to be classified a benefit for the customer. Tesla wouldn't make any money on it.

Come on. Luxury cars are not stolen nearly as much as non-luxury. That was my point. Why is everyone in here just trying to be right while not understanding the conversations? Is there some kind of prizes being given out that I'm missing?

When was the last Maybach that was stolen?

They care about what they can sell it for. Not the purchase price. They care about what they can sell the parts for.

Sure they care about the price. Rarely does a car thief plan on using the car for himself.
If you're looking for someone to argue with, I'm not that guy.

It does feel like they could add a "proximity auto-unlock" on/off switch which may help. Then it would require the button press on the key fob. Loose the functionality, but would give folks a choice.

Is the NFC communication they use for the dead fob battery trick also repeatable?

But they don't sell cars in Russia. Of course there would be no repair centers there.

That's like me buying a palm tree in Chicago and complaining that there are no palm tree landscapers here. They don't sell palm trees in Chicago.

Now this is getting confusing. The whole question being discussed is whether there is a market for stolen Tesla spare parts. If people in Russia will buy them, then there is a market. Now you seem to be turning around and saying it's not Tesla's fault, but who cares? If you car is stolen why do you care about the circumstances that created the market for stolen parts.

Now this is getting confusing. The whole question being discussed is whether there is a market for stolen Tesla spare parts. If people in Russia will buy them, then there is a market. Now you seem to be turning around and saying it's not Tesla's fault, but who cares? If you car is stolen why do you care about the circumstances that created the market for stolen parts.
I'm saying that the Russian issue is NOT teslas fault as it is being suggested. Right. If people on the moon want to buy a Tesla and then complain about no service centers - it serves them right for buying it.

I'm also saying that people who can afford a Tesla are more than likely not stupid. They have some from of a hefty income. They have enough income to NOT buy stolen parts, but new ones.

I am buying a Model 3 knowing I can afford what is necessary to own one without having to scrape together stolen parts to sustain my ownership.

My car will NEVER be stolen because I can afford for it not to be. So your final statement/question will never be viable.

There are things called morals and ethics and other things that can't be mentioned in this forum that seem to be evaporating at an astronomical rate which is fueling that hearts of people to steal parts and cars.
The problem is not stolen parts and stolen cars. Its the people who do so and I absolutely refuse to "fuel" that behavior in any way.

Aside from the key fob, there needs to be a pin code you enter on the touch screen or on a separate keypad, like in The Transporter movies, before the car will work.

And if someone demands your code, you tell them a different code that completely locks the car until Tesla unlocks it.