Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car asks for Key Card tap before drive. Doesn’t work.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

This is the second time this has happened to me. My phone lets me into my 3, but the car asks me to tap my key card on the console to drive. I did that but it didn’t work. For a half an hour I tried everything I could think of, reset with scroll wheels, shut down for 5 minutes, no luck. I kept trying for a half hour and finally I was able to drive the car. Why is it asking me to do this in the first place. I called the mobile service guy whose number I had and he tried to help me but couldn’t help me.
I did the mobile service request in the app, but thankfully cancelled as I was finally able to drive the car. Any suggestions for the future? Thanks very much in advance.

Are you sure the phone let you in? And the car wasn’t just unlocked (from a previous exit that don’t detect the phone for example).

As a failsafe, you can remote start the car from the app. It’s the key icon under the controls tab in the app. That gives you 2 min to press the brake and go.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Are you sure the phone let you in? And the car wasn’t just unlocked (from a previous exit that don’t detect the phone for example).

As a failsafe, you can remote start the car from the app. It’s the key icon under the controls tab in the app. That gives you 2 min to press the brake and go.
Phone let me in. App wouldn’t let me start the car. I was totally locked out.

Our 3 does something like this all the time. I open the door using the phone-as-key, but then it won't start and asks for the card.

My solution is to take the phone out of my pocket, and sometimes I have to turn it on. The difference is that it always works fine for me once I do that, no half hour delays.

Our 3 does something like this all the time. I open the door using the phone-as-key, but then it won't start and asks for the card.

My solution is to take the phone out of my pocket, and sometimes I have to turn it on. The difference is that it always works fine for me once I do that, no half hour delays.
Help me out here Animorph. Isn’t your phone already on?

Never had a problem with our phones. iPhone 6s and iPhone 11 Pro.

I’m more surprised about the key card not being recognized.

maybe try key card to get in and drive the car for a bit? If you unlock with the card on the b-pillar outside you should have 2min to tap the brake and enable driving.

Or if it doesn’t register inside, tap the pillar?

anyway, suggesting leaving the phone out of the picture so they cannot blame it.

what did it say when you tried to start the car from the key button undet controls in the app?

Reactions: hcdavis3
Never had a problem with our phones. iPhone 6s and iPhone 11 Pro.

I’m more surprised about the key card not being recognized.

maybe try key card to get in and drive the car for a bit? If you unlock with the card on the b-pillar outside you should have 2min to tap the brake and enable driving.

Or if it doesn’t register inside, tap the pillar?

anyway, suggesting leaving the phone out of the picture so they cannot blame it.

what did it say when you tried to start the car from the key button undet controls in the app?
Thanks brkaus I didn’t check that. I’m downloading the latest firmware update as we speak. We’ll see if that helps.

Car was locked, phone let me in.

To start out, I think you should check out your key card functionality. Not just the key card itself, but also the readers...

1. Go out to the locked car with only your key card; leave your phone in the house. Tap the B pillar with your card and make sure it unlocks the car. Now leave the car unlocked.

2. Wait a few minutes after step 1, then get in your unlocked car. It should prompt you to place the key card by the drink holders. Make sure this works.

If those tests are successful, you know both readers and your card are working.

If you ever find yourself in the situation you describe in the OP again, the phone app's "Start" feature should always work. I wouldn't accept that feature not working even one time before calling service; it's your last-ditch hope to get your car working, and should ALWAYS work.

I use the phone to get into the car and about 10% of the time it also asks for the key card. usually I just wait a bit (5 seconds or more) and then it authenticates with the phone and is 'happy'.

I'm guessing it was an authentication BT exchange that didn't complete and timed out.

I do know it has nothing to do with signal strength. I recently did a walk-around signal strength test of the model 3 bluetooth and it goes VERY far (used a BT sniffer to track the 4 beacons that the model 3 puts out). the 'C' (console) beacon is very strong and if you are IN the car, it WILL see you.

but again, I think something on the car is timing out and needs to retry. happens sporatically. sometimes it will take a while before it will sense my touch to the door handle and let me in, other times I'm already in and just want to start the car.

• Informative
Reactions: hcdavis3
My worst issues have been trying to get the car to unlock via bluetooth using several newer Samsung Galaxy's. It usually works. But on a busy street when you need to gain entry quickly, in the rain, etc. it can be a pain when it just stalls for x number of seconds.

This is the second time this has happened to me. My phone lets me into my 3, but the car asks me to tap my key card on the console to drive. I did that but it didn’t work. For a half an hour I tried everything I could think of, reset with scroll wheels, shut down for 5 minutes, no luck. I kept trying for a half hour and finally I was able to drive the car. Why is it asking me to do this in the first place. I called the mobile service guy whose number I had and he tried to help me but couldn’t help me.
I did the mobile service request in the app, but thankfully cancelled as I was finally able to drive the car. Any suggestions for the future? Thanks very much in advance.
Try unpairing your phone in the tesla app. And re-pairing your phone.