Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Auto Self Locks now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So.. back in the day (few weeks ago)... and since I bought my car in 2014, if you would unlock the car per fob or phone, it would remain... unlocked. A handy thing to do in your home garage. Not so handy in a parking lot.

Now, as of last night, when I went to unlock my car from my phone, it did, and I got my backpack out of said car.

a little while later (hour?) I went back to the car to put in my work ID i accidentally took in the house. Car was locked.

I unlocked it, and hour later, same thing when I went to get in it.

I assume this is normal now 8.1 behavior? Anyone else? when it's sitting in my garage at home, I don't mind it unlocked.

Usually I just leave the keys in other keyed cars in my garage...

I'm not sure it's a problem.. maybe if it was an option it would be ideal... then the owner could select.
I can see if of benefit for people who unlock their car, someone not secure, then leave it that way...
I came from a lifted wrangler w/a soft top, so... I never locked anything, and never had anything in the car...

So far as I can recall, my car has always behaved that way. It is 18 months old. But I have the setting for walk-away door locks set to "on." Is it possible you changed that setting? Or that the setting was changed by the software update?

But having said that, I am not sure how I would know it was locked, since I always have the key with me, and it unlocks on my approach. I have probably forgotten the key a handful of times, and it was always locked on those occasions, as far as I know.

(There is a provision in the user manual for how to leave the car unlocked in your garage, but I have no garage so I do not use that feature.)

Email response from Tesla when i inquired about this issue:

"
Hello Buddy,

I can confirm that the way your door locks were previously operating were influenced by a previously known bug that essentially cancelled the walk away feature. This has now been rectified in the firmware’s current iteration. In summary, walk away door locks are designed to lock the vehicle as soon as it does not detect a fob.

However, it seems the previous behavior was something that you preferred so I have submitted this as an official feature request.

I hope this information assists

A bug? that's funny. I'm aware of the walk away feature, and it does lock when I walk away. I'm referring then specifically to a phone unlock event, where the fob remains out of range.

Fob in house. iphone in hand. Press Car Unlock on phone app. Get lunch box out of car. Come back an hour later to get in the car. Car is locked without any additional human interaction. yell "what the hell" at the car, then use iphone to unlock again.

Does anyone else keep pressing the "keys" to unlock the car? When they meant to unlock the DOORS?
Keys to my feeble brain mean unlock the car. I'm wondering if there aren't better icons for the two that have less overlap. Maybe a steering wheel for the keyless driving?

The problem is then you can't leave it unlocked - ever.

If it is to be unlocked, I want it to be done with authorization each time.

There have been a number of stolen Tesla cars for leaving the fob inside.

I want to have a very reliable automatic locking behavior so when my Tesla is stolen I would know it is not because I left the fob inside or the sequence exception of using fob/phone.

Of course, you can leave your car unlock by overriding the system in the 17" screen.

The car knows when it's in your garage (it can open and close the door, right?)
So:
1. Why not provide an option to keep unlocked when in your garage?
2. And while they're at it, an option to keep it from "presenting" the door handles every time you walk into the garage (with the keyfob in your pocket) to do something other than drive your Tesla?

On a related topic:

Has anyone noticed that if you leave the motorized rear hatch open for a few hours, it won't close from either the hatch-mounted switch or the center console control? It beeps 3 times when you try. You CAN manually close it; and it latches fine.

After doing this, it seems to "reset" and then works as normal.

On a related topic:

Has anyone noticed that if you leave the motorized rear hatch open for a few hours, it won't close from either the hatch-mounted switch or the center console control? It beeps 3 times when you try. You CAN manually close it; and it latches fine.

After doing this, it seems to "reset" and then works as normal.
I've seen this on my Tahoe. If you hit lock/unlock from the fob it resets the Tahoe. Haven't left the Tesla trunk open that long.