Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Auto Self Locks now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
great idea.
leave fob in garage
I have tried it, and it works great
I put the date on a sticky note
to see how fast the battery dies
worse case ,I will power the fob with an
external supply with a switch in case i take my other car out.
It is great to be able to get in and out of my car without
constantly having to unlock it

Possibly related, or maybe not -- I noticed something about my car’s door locks a couple of days ago, that might be a defect, or might be a software glitch.

I decided to try the setting to have only the driver's door unlock, instead of all doors unlocking. I thought it might save wear and tear on the door locks.

Here is what the Owner's Manual says (October 2016 version from MyTesla):

"You can choose whether you want all doors, or just the driver's door, to unlock when you approach your vehicle carrying your key. To do so, touch Controls > Settings > Vehicle > Door Unlock Mode and choose Driver or All." (I verified that the same text is in the latest version of the manual in the car. I have software version 17.11.10)

I tested the Door Unlock setting twice. First I tested it with Auto Present door handles set to OFF.

I set it to Door Unlock/Driver (only) and tested it by walking away until the door handles retracted and the lights flashed. When I walked back to the front passenger door and touched the handle, I expected it to stay locked. But all the door handles extended and I was able to open the door. I re-locked the car with the key fob and tried again, same result.

So -- Is this the correct behavior? Or am I misunderstanding what it means to have only the Driver's door unlock? This seems to be inconsistent with the Owner’s Manual and not consistent with what an owner would expect.

I also tried this test with the option set to have Auto Present handles ON. It that case, the Door Unlock behavior is as expected -- only the driver's handle extends. And, pressing on the other door handles does NOT open them, so they are truly still locked. I did not have a second person with me to test if the other doors could be opened with a press of the handle once I was inside, but I suspect not. The lock indicator on the center display showed "Unlocked" but none of the other door handles were extended. Double-clicking the Lock symbol or clicking on the Park button extended the door handles (and presumably unlocked the other doors) as expected.

My conclusion is that the Driver's-door-only setting applies ONLY if you also select to turn On the Auto Present handles. This is not clear from the Owner’s Manual.

So is this new, or has it always been this way?

This certainly sounds like incorrect behavior (i.e., a "bug").

This is why I always push back against posts on this forum when people ask for a new feature citing "it's only another on/off setting on the screen. Should be trivial." But, every new binary setting doubles the number of states of the system, and potentially doubles the number of dependent states that need to be tested. Apparently, exhaustive testing was done conducted. You experience is likely in the realm of undefined behavior.

great idea.
leave fob in garage
I have tried it, and it works great
I put the date on a sticky note
to see how fast the battery dies
worse case ,I will power the fob with an
external supply with a switch in case i take my other car out.
It is great to be able to get in and out of my car without
constantly having to unlock it
HEEEERRRRE we go with your sticky notes and homemade contraptions. What on earth are you needing to do in your car so often at home other than get in to DRIVE it? Are you keeping furry friends in there you have to periodically feed or something?

The car knows when it's in your garage (it can open and close the door, right?)
So:
1. Why not provide an option to keep unlocked when in your garage?
2. And while they're at it, an option to keep it from "presenting" the door handles every time you walk into the garage (with the keyfob in your pocket) to do something other than drive your Tesla?

Yes these ^^ at home have different settings