Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Automatically Turned On While I Was At Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened to me twice in the last 4 weeks. Radio on 11 and the HEATER on full blast. Screen was going nuts with random nonsense. A reboot fixed it. I am thinking that a quick call to Tesla by anyone who experiences this will result in an update to fix it. I'm calling tomorrow.

This has happened to me twice in the last 4 weeks. Radio on 11 and the HEATER on full blast. Screen was going nuts with random nonsense. A reboot fixed it. I am thinking that a quick call to Tesla by anyone who experiences this will result in an update to fix it. I'm calling tomorrow.

That's a good plan. I still haven't heard back from service yet. I'll let you know what they say.

I recently used my phone app to start climate control to cool off the car before entering to drive home. After arriving home I went into the garage a couple hours later and noticed my car fan running full blast. Looked over into the car and also saw the screen lit up. I then decided to check on my phone if my climate control was still on from trip home. Sure enough it was. Turned it off from my app and screen went dark and fans stopped running. I had assumed that once I started driving the "normal" operations would take over and I wouldn't have to manually turn off the climate control after I got home.

I recently used my phone app to start climate control to cool off the car before entering to drive home. After arriving home I went into the garage a couple hours later and noticed my car fan running full blast. Looked over into the car and also saw the screen lit up. I then decided to check on my phone if my climate control was still on from trip home. Sure enough it was. Turned it off from my app and screen went dark and fans stopped running. I had assumed that once I started driving the "normal" operations would take over and I wouldn't have to manually turn off the climate control after I got home.
Something odd there, even if driving hadn't shut it off, it still should have timed out after 30 mins...

Driving the car should have resulted in returning the car to "normal".

A couple of days ago I had the car plugged in to the L2 60A EVSE at my condo, and knew the car was just about finished by checking with Remote S. I went down to disconnect and move the car to my normal parking spot. I get maybe 20m away and notice I can see the green circle around the charge plug, and also the driver display was on showing the rated miles (main screen was black). Note I was too far away for the car to sense the fob and unlock itself.

I thought the charge plug blacked out and dash displays didn't light up until one unlocked the car (or opened a door if unlocked and dozing). Or, that's absolutely what has happened before -- other than A/C noise and the EVSE itself's "charging" light, the Model S doesn't give any indication that charging is ongoing once it locks and shuts itself down.

The only reason I can think why the plug ring and dash display were on (besides some kind of software bug) is because of the Remote S use querying the car a minute or two earlier. That only just occurred to me reading this thread and writing this up; I haven't tested it yet. Observer effect, anyone?

EDIT: grammar
2nd EDIT: preconditioning has never been turned on

Last edited:
no. the a/c unit can use up to 8.5kW/hr. max A/C for just 2 hours will do it for sure. I've intentionally used this method to drain my battery to 0 miles fairly quickly while just sitting in my garage. that a/c and heat pump is a killer on range.

The Model S has no heat pump. It has an Air Conditioning compressor and a PTC heater for heat. However, it SHOULD have had a heat pump, which would have saved a lot of energy in the winter. The most simple version is an $18 reversing valve and some extra plumbing. (And of course software)

I walk back and forth to my car (passing it mostly) all day long on the weekends and haven't seen it unlocked. But after reading this and having my A/C on for no real reason, I'll keep an eye out for this. I constantly forget things and have to turn around.

Thanks for the insight guys.

If enabled, the handles will retract and the doors will lock when you walk away with the fob. If you walk past the car and the handles extend, the car will remain unlocked even after the handles retract. Walk-away-locking only occurs after at least one of the doors is opened and closed.

If enabled, the handles will retract and the doors will lock when you walk away with the fob. If you walk past the car and the handles extend, the car will remain unlocked even after the handles retract. Walk-away-locking only occurs after at least one of the doors is opened and closed.

Are you sure about that? I walk by the car all the time in my driveway. The handles will extend and retract and the car always shows as locked on the app later.

That is not how my car behaves. If I walk past and the handles extend, it locks again after the normal period (Unless I remain standing by the car, in which case it remains unlocked until I walk away.)

OK, now you all made me go test it.....I'm sure it used to be the way I described! I swear. But I looked in the manual and it's the case that only if you unlock the car with a double click and then walk away the 'auto-lock' feature is suspended and the car remains unlocked.

I was only half-right, my apologies.