Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car avatar on dash issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.
New Tesla owner. Bought a low mile 2015 Model S P85D 2 weeks ago. Love it... Amazing vehicle, but I'm wondering if there is an issue with the car avatar on the dash display. Every time I drive with the lights on (either in Auto mode or manually turned on), the car avatar on my dash will keep changing, as if the rear passenger tail light is turning on and off. I assumed it was the car's way of informing me that there was a problem with my tail light. So, to confirm, I had my wife follow behind me on a 15 minute trip and each time the avatar would change to show the rear tail light was off, I would ask her if it had indeed turned off. Every time, it hadn't... and I think she thought I was a slightly crazy. She assured me that for the entire journey the tail lights remained on. In 15 minutes, the avatar on the dash showed the tail light turning on and off at least 10 times. So, hopefully the good news is that I don't have an issue with the tail lights, but is this normal for the avatar to do that? If not, can it be reset? Or do I possibly have something set wrong that is causing this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

What you see on the avatar should match what's happening with the exterior lights. Given you mention turning on the lights and viewing the "tail lights," I assume you are not referring to brake lights? FYI, the brake lights in the avatar do turn on when regen is active depending on speed of the vehicle (even when you are not touching the brake pedal), to warn other drivers that the car is slowing down (due to regen only in that case). So you will see brake lights in avatar go on and off depending on what you are doing with the go pedal. However, I suspect you are talking about other lights.

Upvote 0
What you see on the avatar should match what's happening with the exterior lights. Given you mention turning on the lights and viewing the "tail lights," I assume you are not referring to brake lights? FYI, the brake lights in the avatar do turn on when regen is active depending on speed of the vehicle (even when you are not touching the brake pedal), to warn other drivers that the car is slowing down (due to regen only in that case). So you will see brake lights in avatar go on and off depending on what you are doing with the go pedal. However, I suspect you are talking about other lights.
Yes, I'm talking about the avatars representation of the tail lights relating to the headlights being on (or off), not the avatars' brake lights activating upon regen or regular braking.

Upvote 0