Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car battery: 340 miles. I drove 280. Came home with 5 miles left?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get behind a semi (hopefully going fast enough to tolerate) and watch your energy consumption go way down. I did this once to extend my battery as I thought I might be cutting it close. wind resistance goes way down and may even be pulled a bit along bc of it.

Drafting trucks probably isn’t the safest way to drive. I understand the car can maintain the distance and brake faster than a human can but there are other considerations. One is that you’re likely to pick up a lot more windshield chips. Another is that if there is an object in the road, like a separated retread carcass (commonly called a “gator”), you won’t have time to respond. If the truck strikes anything, you’ll be part of the accident likely running up under the trailer. Finally it’s going to really annoy the truck driver who has no idea that your car braking is computer controlled. Annoying him by following very closely will distract him from his usual careful driving.

Part of the secret to growing old is to avoid getting killed before you get old. Drafting trucks to save $2 worth of electricity seems like a bad bargain to me. I made up the $2.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Like others have said, with EVs speed kills range. Even the difference between 75 and 80 is tremendous so I'd advise staying around 75 (theoretically of course as that would be speeding on most roads in the US).

Another thing to consider is the use of a tool like A better route planner where you can put in your trip details including variables such as weather, speed, elevation, etc... and it will give you a much more accurate picture of what your range usage will be vs. puckering up as you are pulling into the driveway with 1% remaining.

Finally, the loss in range you saw before you started your trip was most likely the car preconditioning itself or doing some battery maintenance. My car will consistently charge to 301 (pre-raven 100D @ 90%) overnight but in the morning, I can sometimes be down to 297, 296, etc...depending on what the car is doing between the time charging completes and when I leave in the morning.

I own a new 2019 P100D Raven that charges to 340 miles. I planned a 280 mile trip and returned with just 5 miles of charge left (1%)?!

1) When I left my house, I noticed I was charged only to 330 miles even though I maxed out battery charging capacity and turned of Sentry mode? (So I lost 10 miles of range before even leaving home).

2) I drove in 80 degree weather, partly in the rain, mostly on autopilot, at about 80 mph, but usually 70-75 with occasional stop and go traffic and 80% of the trip on the interstate highway.

3) Upon the return leg, my Tesla said I need to not drive above 70mph to make it home with enough charge. But after following that advice, it then told me I must drop down to 65mph. This was extremely frustrating as I had to be the slowest car in the right lane.

What went wrong here? Is 340 miles of range really mean 285 miles of range with real world driving conditions??
Take a conventional ICE vehicle, drive it 80 mph for a tank of gas, see if you get the EPA rated MPG.You won't. The rating for EVs works the same way.

My suggestion for the OP, or any new Tesla owner, is to change the battery display from EPA Rated Miles (RM) to percent SOC (State of Charge). The Rated Miles is nothing more than a fuel gauge; it is not how far you can go except under EPA driving cycle conditions. So, switch to %SOC and just forget about the misleading miles display. When you use navigation to plot a road trip, the projected energy remaining in the battery at the destination will be displayed in %SOC. If that number is going down you can slow down. If it is stable or going up you can speed up. Might as well just use %SOC as your fuel gauge all the time and forget the EPA Rated Miles number.