TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car being delivered Thursday, but now inventory vehicles on sale....

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by dckiwi, Sep 19, 2016.

1. dckiwi

dckiwi Member

So this is a fun one.

I have the following car scheduled for pick up Thursday:

Model S60D
    Pano roof
    Black next-gen seats
    Autopilot

MSRP is $77,500 (before tax credit, referral credit, no delivery fee charged).

However it looks like Tesla is taking 7-9k off their inventory cars. As a result, I could get the exact same config of a 75D for about 2k more than the 60D!

What do you guys think - should I cancel my order and just pick up an inventory 75D? Even though I don't 'need' the extra range right now, I may need it one day. Also, I feel like they're further depreciating my 60D by selling the 75D for about the same price.

I assume they'll make me pay the $2,500 cancellation fee? Even then it still seems like it's worth it.

Also, I wonder why there are so many 75Ds in inventory right now, but no 60Ds. My crazy theory - they just software upgraded all their inventory 60Ds and are selling them at a discount. Doesn't cost Tesla any more to do this.....

• Like x 2
  2. Footer

Footer Member

Yes, you will lose your $2500. You might also have to pay the delivery fee if the car you want is not nearby.

Maybe your car is new enough to have AP2.0 hardware. No ones knows when the production line makes the switch.

Yes, they upgraded the 60s. If you look at a 75 or 75D feature list you will find many of the 75s have the "range upgrade". Also, if you were really following the inventory you would notice that some VINs that were 60s are now 75s.

• Like x 1
  3. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

A lot of people have ordered 60 and 60D cars. However, if they offer 75 and 75D now at "just over 60 prices" then they could get tire-kicker buyers who are walking into a store an "extra incentive" to buy a discounted one.

Like all auto deals, the end of a quarter is good to buy off the lot. Been that way for decades.

• Helpful x 1
  4. spooky981

spooky981 Member

If its the one in Washington DC location I looked at it in person. The pano roof was really noisy and I was told that's about as quiet as they can make it. I think it was a rejected delivery.

That doesn't mean other cars might not be a good deal though.

5. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I would totally go with the 75D, not only does it have more range, it's also going to depreciate less while in your possession since it has already taken a significant depreciation hit.

• Like x 1
  6. xborg

xborg Member

7. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Sometimes they waive the cancellation fee, they did with me. With yours in transit, maybe not, but they can make the same gambit with yours and make a slightly higher yield so I'd definitely try. Either way this upgrade makes lots of sense to me, you get the range increase at a very reduced price.

8. dckiwi

dckiwi Member

Very happy with the way this worked out.

They were able to transfer me over to a S75D with *exactly* the same options as my current order. The 75D came out to $1,000 more than the 60D. Didn't lose the deposit or the delivery fee waiver, even though they're bringing the car in from NJ to VA.

The inventory car hasn't been used at all (still 50 miles on it).

Plus I got to switch colors (from white to black, which was my original choice). They are going to try to hit my same appointment window this Thursday.

Only drawback is it won't have the cupholders and USB ports. But upgrading from 60D to 75D for $1k was too hard to pass up :)

• Like x 10
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 1
  9. dckiwi

dckiwi Member

By the way, *thank you* for this tip! I was actually considering the one in DC, but after I saw your post I moved on to something else. Love this community!

10. X Yes?

X Yes? Member

11. X Yes?

X Yes? Member

Tesla is now operating like all other auto manufacturers. "No haggle" one price, does not work, when supply exceeds demand. This unfortunate situation is likely to get worse, as they try to move as many cars as possible in the 3rd quarter. This is an attempt to show a decent quarter before another capital raise to keep the lights on.

12. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Any idea why that new car became part of the inventory in the first place? a show room car? a rejected delivery new car?

13. dckiwi

dckiwi Member

Apparently brand new, never been driven. I guess it could be a rejected delivery...... :eek:

• Like x 1
  14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Who knows, maybe somebody's financing fell through. My guess is that Tesla rebadges them as a 75, discounts them and sells them. Then they take the 60 that the person who "trade-up" was going to get and does the same thing. Tesla ends up getting $1k more, and possibly delivers a few more cars this quarter. Of course they are giving up some potentially profit in battery unlocking later...

15. dckiwi

dckiwi Member

I think that's exactly right. I bet they'll upgrade the 60D I originally ordered and sell it as a 75D. Rinse and repeat, sell a few more cars in Q3.

16. number12

number12 Member

Wonder if someone threatens to not accept car for smallest problem will they set destination waived?

Can't help but feel like I could have got a "better" deal than full price across the board. Definitely slippery slope.

No inventory model X yet?

17. Troy

Troy Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    My guess is, Tesla is postponing Europe and Asia orders that can't be delivered in Q3. Instead, they are building brand new cars nobody has ordered and selling them as inventory cars at a discount. Firesale will last 11 more days. These discounts are not likely to continue after 30th Sep 2016. Background story can be found HERE in Elon's email to Tesla employees.

18. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Yep. If you go to the X configurator and start choosing options, it'll show "compatible" inventory. I was surprised by a XP100D for sale in FL.

19. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Congratulations! Don't you just love it when it all works so perfectly! BTW, in my case I ended out with a P85D instead of an 85D. I also was thrilled.
    Quarter end is the time to do it!!! Mine was also quarter end.

20. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Hmmmm.... I ordered at the end of Q2 but didn't hear about any good inventory cars. BUT, the re-fresh just came out and I wanted that. Probably was some inventory 70D's.
    Good for you! Glad it worked out and a reminder that it never hurts to ask.