Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car body service for 3 months... battery drained... what next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - looking for some guidance on what I might expect and how to address...

My car suffered some rear end damage and has been in service (waiting for parts....) for 3 months. Long story for another day - suffice it to say after a few years of Model S ownership I'm still in love with the car and seriously frustrated with parts availability.

My real issue - while the shop had been doing a good job of topping the battery off via 120v regularly at my request, vacations, etc have let the car run down entirely. They are finishing up the body work in the next few days, but as a part of the work the battery charger port is disconnected so plugging it in isn't an option... It's totally drained. When they get it all done and connected my estimate is that the car would have been drained hard dead for approx 2 weeks.

Any insights into what can I anticipate based in your experiences? flat-bed to Tesla for a 12v replacement? or can we "jump" the 12v in the shop? Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Jumping the 12v should be enough to wake the car and get it charging.

Very encouraging! I saw on youtube that it's not too difficult to pop the frunk and accessing the 12v terminals so I'm optimistic we can avoid a flatbed! Hopefully it wasn't drained too long to do any real battery damage (good lord it's a pain dealing with months of parts delays!)

THANKS again for the response.

Also remember that although the display may read 0% for the HV battery that really is about 3.0 volts per cell. You will read that some equipment that use the 18650 they run the batteries down to 2.8 or lower. Like stated above your 12v system most likely will be all the way discharged.

My body shop buddy asked me what to do, I said, asked man to bring u the charge cable, plug in 110 outlet.
Just a note to all who leave their un attended, here is page from manual.

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 86