TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Car "Bra"?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Homer, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Homer

Homer Member

I did a long trip recently and got a couple of stone chips. The Tesla repair shop applied some touch up paint (base colour plus the metallic on top and finally some clear coat) all for free which was very generous of them. The results are good but not perfect; they explained that a bonnet repaint would be necessary to achieve perfection and it just isn't worth it for a couple of small chips.

So now I've started thinking about whether to get somebody to apply one of those clear car "bras" on the front. My Ferrari has a half-bonnet clear "bra" and that does seem to protect it but it has discoloured a little over time.

Does anybody have a strong opinion, one way or the other? :)

2. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

Xpel? full front at least. I'm completely satisfied.

3. PJF000

PJF000 TOCA Member

I thought of doing a bra but was put off by line it creates where cut. Then thought about full front coverage but getting a repaint of chipped areas probably works out cheaper. Also had already ceramic coated car so should be the other way around (apparently).Apart from that, I got a chip on a door so where do you stop with the wrap?

4. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

The problem with repainting is that top of the line shops will tell you they need to do the adjacent panels as well or it will be noticed. So, that would mean both fenders. Starts to become really prohibitive. Especially if you have a coating on there like opticoat or similar.

5. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I've had the front bumper, bonnet, guards and the mirrors wrapped by Reflect Effect in Parramatta.
    The wrap is effectively invisible with the exception of the front bumper that due to it complex shape was wrapped in two pieces leaving a small seam line in the centre below the lower grille and I didn't pay to have the bumper removed so there is another line it the seam between the bumper and each guard.
    Neither of these cause me any concern as you have to look closely to see the lines, but YMMV.
    One issue I did run into was the one time I paid to have my car washed at the Mosman Car wash some clown managed to blow the edge of the film off with the water gun. I took it back to Reflect Effect and he was able to reapply it so no permanent damage was done.

6. Homer

Homer Member

Thank you for all the replies. I think I'll add a wrap on the bonnet and mirrors, etc, plus Opti Coat for the rest. I think I'll pull the trigger on this with Ozi Cozi at Artarmon.

• Like x 1
  7. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Let us know how it goes- I'm vacillating about a coating: interested in your opinion (and the price)
    Regards