Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car braking for no reason

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
guess going over 5 miles over the speed limit wasn't good enough, plus couldn't merge over due to car and that car oh well....

It's a forum, so posting anything is an invitation for comments/debate. I am just making an observation on the singular minute of one camera view that you posted. If you want to further debate with additional information, please post more videos. I'm not trying to bash you, really I am not, but you got in the left lane at some point presumably to pass someone and then stayed in that lane.

Yes the video shows someone cutting closely in front of you and braking, but it shows more than just that, and less than the whole story.

guess going over 5 miles over the speed limit wasn't good enough, plus couldn't merge over due to car and that car oh well....

It’s less about if you were going over the limit and more about using the left lane only for passing. I understand in that moment you couldn’t move into the right hand lane because the brake check car was in your blind spot, but I assume you could have moved back into the right lane earlier when you realized you weren’t going to pass the car ahead (assuming he didn’t speed up when he realized you were passing - I hate those types).

In my neck of CA you have to be doing at least 15 over the speed limit to really “camp” in the left lane. And even then, folks will be going faster than you and you will still need to move over.

In California, the law that allows officers to pull drivers over for dawdling in the left lane is in Vehicle Code, Section 21654, which states, “on California roadways with multiple lanes traveling in the same direction a vehicle shall be driven in the lane closest to the right side of the roadway. This lane is typically referred to as the slow lane or #2 lane. Vehicles driving in the left lane (#1 lane or commonly referred to as the fast lane) should be either be overtaking, passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or be preparing to complete a left turn.”

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/article217276300.html#storylink=cpy

None of that justifies a brake check by the fellow who was impatient, of course, but at least it didn’t look too bad in the video. If you were using TACC the car should have handled it hopefully.

Last edited:
You have their plate and video of their actions. This is America. Sue.

Other driver has assaulted you. Assault does not require that the cars actually collide. You just have to show that with more than 51% likelihood that they intended to make you fear a crash. And you can recover punitive damages (unrelated to any actual damage to your vehicle) if the other driver acted with Malice.

I'm only 50% joking. If road-raging drivers started getting dragged into court the roads would be a lot safer.