Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Camping in RV sites?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many companies make a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter for EV charging. It is different from the standard adapter sold to owners of 50 amp RVs, which will not work for EV charging. This one puts the 120v hot and neutral to the two hots of 14-50. Don't mix them up! However, as noted, if you do this you must be absolutely sure that you have dialed your car down to use only 24 amps before you start charging, as your car will draw up to 40 (or 32 on a non-long-range) via the 14-50. If you fail to do this you will blow the breaker and possibly other not good things.

Tesla could make this safer by just saying "If I have 120v, I should default to 24 amps because there is no circuit with 120v at more than 30a." Somebody claimed they do this, but they don't last time I tried.

The 3rd party adapter is another choice, it is around $70. It doesn't exist, but if somebody made an adapter for TT-30 to one of the Tesla official 30a plugs (like dryer plugs) that would also be a good choice, but I don't think anybody makes it.

The 3rd party adapter is the safest available choice, but the reality is you are not going to charge on TT-30 very often because it's really a "last resort" sort of thing. You will only pick up about 100 miles overnight, which is much better than nothing or the 50 or 70 miles of 15a/20a, but it's still not the nice benefit of stopping overnight at an RV park for a complete fillup as you get from 50a.

I've used mine only twice, at motels that had RV hookups behind them. The first one the hookup was dead, the second worked. Because I was there 2 days, it made it worth it, but it's the only time in a large number of charging stops.

If you drive a lot in rural areas where 50a RV spots are not found, it is a different story, but don't expect that to be easy. Such areas usually also don't have fast charging, at least yet.

Many companies make a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter for EV charging. It is different from the standard adapter sold to owners of 50 amp RVs, which will not work for EV charging. This one puts the 120v hot and neutral to the two hots of 14-50. Don't mix them up! However, as noted, if you do this you must be absolutely sure that you have dialed your car down to use only 24 amps before you start charging, as your car will draw up to 40 (or 32 on a non-long-range) via the 14-50. If you fail to do this you will blow the breaker and possibly other not good things.
Yeah when i made mine i somehow did the hot and neutral backwards but it didn't hurt anything the car simply didn't acknowledge it was plugged into anything. So i switched them and its worked fine ever since.
Which i find funny because its adapted to 14-50 and it has 2 hots so you'd think either side could be hot but apparently it requires L1 to be the hot and not the L2

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
... Tesla could make this safer by just saying "If I have 120v, I should default to 24 amps because there is no circuit with 120v at more than 30a." Somebody claimed they do this, but they don't last time I tried.

Early Model S on-board charger had a 20 amp max restriction on 120V charging. A year or two into Model S production, the on-board charger was updated and the limit was removed.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
There were a lot of these early adapters for EVs where places were adapting anything and everything to a 14-50 receptacle. I have one of those TT-30 to 14-50 ones. As another method to force the proper 24A current, I modified my Tesla 14-30 plug. The L shaped neutral pin is a dummy and isn't connected to anything, so I cut it off, so it will fit into those 14-50 receptacles of various adapters but tell the car to use the 24A limit.

There were a lot of these early adapters for EVs where places were adapting anything and everything to a 14-50 receptacle. I have one of those TT-30 to 14-50 ones. As another method to force the proper 24A current, I modified my Tesla 14-30 plug. The L shaped neutral pin is a dummy and isn't connected to anything, so I cut it off, so it will fit into those 14-50 receptacles of various adapters but tell the car to use the 24A limit.
Interesting approach. And as a plus, it still will go into 14-30 plugs if you should ever find yourself staying at a place that has a modern dryer plug, though frankly, I have never yet been somewhere that had such a plug in easy reach of a parking spot. (I have used the 10-30 in one location.) They raised the price of the 14-30 to $45, so that plus a 14-50 adapter will cost you about the same as the 3rd party adapter, so it may not be worth it unless you think you are going to encounter a 14-30 out in the wild. However, you probably will encounter a TT-30 (as I said, there are a number of motels that have RV spaces out back) so it is worth having the adapter. The counter is that you use it so rarely that you can take the risk of making sure you always adjust it. Mine has a big warning on it to be sure not to draw more than 24a, I think. But you must be diligent and fast. You won't melt anything but you should blow the breaker which may be a problem.

Interesting approach. And as a plus, it still will go into 14-30 plugs if you should ever find yourself staying at a place that has a modern dryer plug, though frankly, I have never yet been somewhere that had such a plug in easy reach of a parking spot. (I have used the 10-30 in one location.) They raised the price of the 14-30 to $45, so that plus a 14-50 adapter will cost you about the same as the 3rd party adapter, so it may not be worth it unless you think you are going to encounter a 14-30 out in the wild. However, you probably will encounter a TT-30 (as I said, there are a number of motels that have RV spaces out back) so it is worth having the adapter. The counter is that you use it so rarely that you can take the risk of making sure you always adjust it. Mine has a big warning on it to be sure not to draw more than 24a, I think. But you must be diligent and fast. You won't melt anything but you should blow the breaker which may be a problem.

Funny thing is that one of the Tesla UMC adapters I don't have is the 14-30. I did home make a 14-30/50P->TT-30R adapter. It has the neutral blade deleted - so it can plug into either 14-30 or 14-50. On the other end my 25' TT-30 extension cord and evseadapters TT-30 UMC adapter can plug into it. Max current is always 24 amps, so no safety issues.

Funny thing is that one of the Tesla UMC adapters I don't have is the 14-30. I did home make a 14-30/50P->TT-30R adapter. It has the neutral blade deleted - so it can plug into either 14-30 or 14-50. On the other end my 25' TT-30 extension cord and evseadapters TT-30 UMC adapter can plug into it. Max current is always 24 amps, so no safety issues.
But you would not want to do that if plugging into a 14-50. There you want full max current (40a) if you can get it. Though if you can't reach the connector and need your TT-30 extension cord this could help in a pinch.

If you have the EVSEadapters TT-30, and of course the Tesla 14-50, it seems you would normally want to plug in directly with either one (no adapter needed.) If you are far from the plug,this would let you use that extension cord, but that's the only time you would use it, to use an extension cord with a 14-50. That's a very rare situation. 14-50 at RV parks and charging locations are always at a parking spot. Have you encountered a place where a 14-50 was very far from a parking spot? I guess if the spot is ICEd.

But you would not want to do that if plugging into a 14-50. There you want full max current (40a) if you can get it. Though if you can't reach the connector and need your TT-30 extension cord this could help in a pinch.

If you have the EVSEadapters TT-30, and of course the Tesla 14-50, it seems you would normally want to plug in directly with either one (no adapter needed.) If you are far from the plug,this would let you use that extension cord, but that's the only time you would use it, to use an extension cord with a 14-50. That's a very rare situation. 14-50 at RV parks and charging locations are always at a parking spot. Have you encountered a place where a 14-50 was very far from a parking spot? I guess if the spot is ICEd.

Correct. I have a 14-50 UMC adapter (came with the car back then) for 32 amp charging. That homemade adapter is for plugging into either a 14-30 or a 14-50. In the latter case, only where I'd also be needing to use it with the TT-30 extension cord. So far, I've never had to use it that way.

But you would not want to do that if plugging into a 14-50. There you want full max current (40a) if you can get it...

Speaking of 40 amp charging, I also have a Gen 1 UMC which can do a full 40 amps. I bought it back when we first bought our Volt, and it has been modified with a J1772 plug instead of the Tesla plug. It normally lives plugged into the 14-50 on the side of our house. I do have a few other adapters for it - including 14-30. However I've not taken it on road trips. To do so, I'd want to buy the Gen 1 versions of the 5-20, and evseadapters TT-30. Then I'd need a TeslaTap or the like so the Volt could charge from my Gen 2 UMC while I was away. It never ends...

Speaking of 40 amp charging, I also have a Gen 1 UMC which can do a full 40 amps. I bought it back when we first bought our Volt, and it has been modified with a J1772 plug instead of the Tesla plug. It normally lives plugged into the 14-50 on the side of our house. I do have a few other adapters for it - including 14-30. However I've not taken it on road trips. To do so, I'd want to buy the Gen 1 versions of the 5-20, and evseadapters TT-30. Then I'd need a TeslaTap or the like so the Volt could charge from my Gen 2 UMC while I was away. It never ends...
My mid-range won't do more than 32a even with the Gen 1 mobile connector, alas. Rarely an issue, since 32a is enough to fill the battery overnight at 208v. It almost seems like Tesla should sell a 14-30 without the pin, since as you note, that neutral pin is not connected internally. But it would be non-standard. I do wonder why Tesla doesn't make an official TT-30 rather than leaving it to a 3rd party. I would say that after 5-15 and 14-50, which came with my car, it might be the 3rd most popular, even though it's only 2.8kw. On the road, it's by far the most likely you will encounter (even more than 14-50.) The other ones are mostly of use in your own home if you happen to have one of those plugs. My dryer plug is in my garage so I do use that one, but fewer people have that these days, and unless you have a welder or something you are not going to use most of the others.

The one exception that could be come common is the 240v 15a and 240v 20a. For people not wanting to spend for new wiring, it turns out if you have a dedicated circuit with 14awg or 12awg, you can fairly easily rewire it to 240v if you put in a new breaker on it and put a new receptacle on it. Very easy for electrician and not that hard DIY. The result of course is 2.8kw or 3.8kw. While that's not enough to go from 5% to 90% as you want on a road trip in an RV park, in your house it is more than enough to keep your car running all year (The average car only needs about 10kwh per day, some days more, some days less, and this let's you add 30kwh or more in most overnight stays at home.) Even if you have a lot of driving some time, this will catch up eventually and bring you full. And it's super cheap to wire, and won't require a new panel etc.

The counter is that you use it so rarely that you can take the risk of making sure you always adjust it. Mine has a big warning on it to be sure not to draw more than 24a, I think. But you must be diligent and fast. You won't melt anything but you should blow the breaker which may be a problem.
On all my adapters I've written on them what the amps get set at. It's on a piece of tape wrapped around the wire so I don't have to worry about it. But I also have a quick ref pic of all the outlets and their amps so I can double check if the tape ever comes off.

Reactions: DrGriz
Yeah when i made mine i somehow did the hot and neutral backwards but it didn't hurt anything the car simply didn't acknowledge it was plugged into anything. So i switched them and its worked fine ever since.
Which i find funny because its adapted to 14-50 and it has 2 hots so you'd think either side could be hot but apparently it requires L1 to be the hot and not the L2
Maybe this is what you are writing about, but TT-30 to 14-50 splitters are available, which will give you ~220v instead of ~120 @24 amps if the receptacles you plug into are on different legs. Test by inserting meter leads into both hot slots on the 14-50R. If the meter reads 240v (or close) you're golden. If near zero, you'll need a TT-30 extension cord and more testing... Here's a picture of mine in use in Beaver Creek, Yukon.
TT30Splitter.jpg

This should work if you have this situation with two TT-30 on opposite phase that are so close together. It's not so often they are close like this, as the spaces have to now be in 69 orientation -- though I do see it. I was told by somebody that doing this with longer cords to two poles 16 feet apart (as in most RV parks) had some issues that could come from the field between the two conductors, but I don't know if that's true.

I would fear this would be a rare enough configuration to make it not too useful to have this setup, but I am glad you found a use. It's true that in BC and the Yukon that 50a service is quite rare, but this will get you enough to fill that model 3. Of course you must use up two RV spots and the park probably wants something for that.

I had another idea for a very fancy RV park adapter. This would plug into a 14-50, but it would have a TT-30 socket on it. That TT-30 socket would allow another RV to plug in and get 30A. The special EVSE would measure the current going out the TT-30 and keep your current through the EVSE down so that the total is acceptable.

The interesting part is that if you got really smart -- and your car could handle it which most could not -- you could give the car 40a minus the current on the TT-30. But if the TT-30 got above 20a you could switch things and give your car 40a at 120v if it can take that. This is all hypothetical, I doubt cars could take that switch easily, and you would be better off just taking 240v at whatever is left after the 30a RV is done.

Anyway, with this, you could have a 50a spot and a 30a RV could park in it (including a trailer you are towing) and your car could possibly park to the side, so the RV park doesn't lose selling you a space, and thus could let you have it for less.

In a park with 3 phase TT-30 this approach would give 208v @ 30a which is also pretty good. I don't know if it's common to see 3 phase parks. Most 14-50 RVs don't use 240v of course, they just use 2 x 120v @ 50a so they can run two air conditioners at once.

This should work if you have this situation with two TT-30 on opposite phase that are so close together. It's not so often they are close like this, as the spaces have to now be in 69 orientation -- though I do see it. I was told by somebody that doing this with longer cords to two poles 16 feet apart (as in most RV parks) had some issues that could come from the field between the two conductors, but I don't know if that's true.

I would fear this would be a rare enough configuration to make it not too useful to have this setup, but I am glad you found a use. It's true that in BC and the Yukon that 50a service is quite rare, but this will get you enough to fill that model 3. Of course you must use up two RV spots and the park probably wants something for that.

I had another idea for a very fancy RV park adapter. This would plug into a 14-50, but it would have a TT-30 socket on it. That TT-30 socket would allow another RV to plug in and get 30A. The special EVSE would measure the current going out the TT-30 and keep your current through the EVSE down so that the total is acceptable.

The interesting part is that if you got really smart -- and your car could handle it which most could not -- you could give the car 40a minus the current on the TT-30. But if the TT-30 got above 20a you could switch things and give your car 40a at 120v if it can take that. This is all hypothetical, I doubt cars could take that switch easily, and you would be better off just taking 240v at whatever is left after the 30a RV is done.

Anyway, with this, you could have a 50a spot and a 30a RV could park in it (including a trailer you are towing) and your car could possibly park to the side, so the RV park doesn't lose selling you a space, and thus could let you have it for less.

In a park with 3 phase TT-30 this approach would give 208v @ 30a which is also pretty good. I don't know if it's common to see 3 phase parks. Most 14-50 RVs don't use 240v of course, they just use 2 x 120v @ 50a so they can run two air conditioners at once.
The spot pictured is in a critical location for reaching the lower 48 states from Alaska. So yeah- totally worth it for me. Although soon I hear that they will have at least one or two 50 amp EV charging spot(s) here.
I also wondered about voltage drop interfering when using an extension cord and this type of Y-splitter, but have heard of success with that set-up.

Yeah the RV park charged me for 2 spots (and a room- I slept indoors), but I was happy to pay! 3-phase service is rare in North America outside of industrial sites, large-ish diesel generators, and superchargers...I don't believe that many RV parks get that, but I could be mistaken. Where they do have 3-phase, there are probably better options! In Yukon, finding two legs of split phase is difficult enough!
Every RV electrical hook-up I've seen with 50-amp service also has a 30 amp and a 15/20 amp receptacle in the box at the site.

On a related note to this discussion, I bought the 14-50 adapter from Tesla and a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter (RV male and dryer female) from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089VSPF7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so I could car camp in a literal sense. I had the opportunity to stay at two different Ontario provincial parks recently at an electrified site with both the 110v and the RV outlet on the pedestal. Yet the Tesla charger didn't even register any energy?? I still plugged it into my 2021 M3, but no need to reduce the amps because still nothing?? What am I missing?

What am I missing?
Reading previous posts in this thread, for starters:
Many companies make a TT-30 to 14-50 adapter for EV charging. It is different from the standard adapter sold to owners of 50 amp RVs, which will not work for EV charging. This one puts the 120v hot and neutral to the two hots of 14-50. Don't mix them up!
I bought the 14-50 adapter from Tesla and a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter (RV male and dryer female) from Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B089VSPF7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so I could car camp in a literal sense. I had the opportunity to stay at two different Ontario provincial parks recently at an electrified site with both the 110v and the RV outlet on the pedestal. Yet the Tesla charger didn't even register any energy??
You can't use any of those that are from camping supply places. They are wired in a way that won't work for charging an EV. The car will only see 0V. Here's what is going on:

A TT-30 has only three pins--Hot1, Neutral, and ground. The 120V is across Hot1 and Neutral. That is the supply.

For a big RV that uses the "50 amp" plugs, it is never really using 240V--it just has a lot of 120V loads, but it gets to split them across those two phases. So what those camping adapters do is take the single Hot1 from the source TT-30, and it applies that same pin on BOTH the Hot1 and Hot2 sites of the 14-50 receptacle of the adapter. It's not exactly electrically correct, but it gives the RV what it wants.

But for EV charging, it is only looking for voltage across Hot1 to Hot2. Your adapter has the same thing on both pins, so there's no voltage. For making those to charge EVs, they need to build the adapter with the original Hot1 and Neutral but applied across those two hot pins, so the car's charging cable can see a 120V source. So if you're looking for one of these, you will need to make sure the product description says it is built for EV charging to know that it is wired in this configuration.

Reactions: MikeGracz
The spot pictured is in a critical location for reaching the lower 48 states from Alaska. So yeah- totally worth it for me. Although soon I hear that they will have at least one or two 50 amp EV charging spot(s) here.
I also wondered about voltage drop interfering when using an extension cord and this type of Y-splitter, but have heard of success with that set-up.

Yeah the RV park charged me for 2 spots (and a room- I slept indoors), but I was happy to pay! 3-phase service is rare in North America outside of industrial sites, large-ish diesel generators, and superchargers...I don't believe that many RV parks get that, but I could be mistaken. Where they do have 3-phase, there are probably better options! In Yukon, finding two legs of split phase is difficult enough!
Every RV electrical hook-up I've seen with 50-amp service also has a 30 amp and a 15/20 amp receptacle in the box at the site.
I dream of this trip one day, but the challenge is not in the Yukon, where there is actually tolerable DC Fast charging, it's in Northern BC on the Alaska Highway or 37, and eastern Alaska. No fast charging at all in these places, and while there are RV parks there are long distances between them, and many have only TT-30 which will only pick you up 100 miles overnight -- thus your desire for the config above. There are a few with 50a service, but that still means you are spending the night in each park and only going about 250 miles per day (in my mid range which is now down to 230 miles range.) Now, that pace can of course be a good trip, but it also limits many of your options.

With the plan to put fast chargers ever 50 miles on main roads, possibly Alaska will be doable soon. BC actually did a fairly good job putting DC Fast all over the southern half but none in the sparsely populated northern half. BC Hydro actually has free fast chargers at many rural rest stops, though some are only 25kw. I have used them -- that is slower than you would like, but the rest stops can be nice places for a picnic.

One thing I have hoped that Tesla would do, or other charging networks is say, "What are the great remote road trips?" and put fast charging on them. It doesn't have to be a lot of fast charging -- 2-stall stations (which Tesla never does) would be more than we have now. Even just 50kw would be enough. Not a moneymaker directly, but it would create the important position that "You can do the great road trips in your EV"

Right now there are fast charging deserts in Alaska, northern BC, the great national parks of southern Utah, SE New Mexico, Baja California and various other places. (Nevada US 50 got CCS/CdM recently.) Even US1 between Santa Rosa and Fort Bragg needs something and it's one of the well known great road trips -- the gap is not that long, you can make it, but if you plan to do side trips and back and forth you need to stop at some Level 2.

Anyway, I want them to get the books of the great road trips, prioritize them and put something in.

Reading previous posts in this thread, for starters:

You can't use any of those that are from camping supply places. They are wired in a way that won't work for charging an EV. The car will only see 0V. Here's what is going on:

A TT-30 has only three pins--Hot1, Neutral, and ground. The 120V is across Hot1 and Neutral. That is the supply.

For a big RV that uses the "50 amp" plugs, it is never really using 240V--it just has a lot of 120V loads, but it gets to split them across those two phases. So what those camping adapters do is take the single Hot1 from the source TT-30, and it applies that same pin on BOTH the Hot1 and Hot2 sites of the 14-50 receptacle of the adapter. It's not exactly electrically correct, but it gives the RV what it wants.

But for EV charging, it is only looking for voltage across Hot1 to Hot2. Your adapter has the same thing on both pins, so there's no voltage. For making those to charge EVs, they need to build the adapter with the original Hot1 and Neutral but applied across those two hot pins, so the car's charging cable can see a 120V source. So if you're looking for one of these, you will need to make sure the product description says it is built for EV charging to know that it is wired in this configuration.
Thanks, Rocky_H. I did read most of the previous posts, but it overloaded my brain. Thanks for re-explaining it and highlighting Bradtem's relevant comment. Your response was very helpful. I will trying out another adapter that is specific re EV charging.

I dream of this trip one day, but the challenge is not in the Yukon, where there is actually tolerable DC Fast charging, it's in Northern BC on the Alaska Highway or 37, and eastern Alaska. No fast charging at all in these places, and while there are RV parks there are long distances between them, and many have only TT-30 which will only pick you up 100 miles overnight -- thus your desire for the config above. There are a few with 50a service, but that still means you are spending the night in each park and only going about 250 miles per day (in my mid range which is now down to 230 miles range.) Now, that pace can of course be a good trip, but it also limits many of your options.

With the plan to put fast chargers ever 50 miles on main roads, possibly Alaska will be doable soon. BC actually did a fairly good job putting DC Fast all over the southern half but none in the sparsely populated northern half. BC Hydro actually has free fast chargers at many rural rest stops, though some are only 25kw. I have used them -- that is slower than you would like, but the rest stops can be nice places for a picnic.

One thing I have hoped that Tesla would do, or other charging networks is say, "What are the great remote road trips?" and put fast charging on them. It doesn't have to be a lot of fast charging -- 2-stall stations (which Tesla never does) would be more than we have now. Even just 50kw would be enough. Not a moneymaker directly, but it would create the important position that "You can do the great road trips in your EV"

Right now there are fast charging deserts in Alaska, northern BC, the great national parks of southern Utah, SE New Mexico, Baja California and various other places. (Nevada US 50 got CCS/CdM recently.) Even US1 between Santa Rosa and Fort Bragg needs something and it's one of the well known great road trips -- the gap is not that long, you can make it, but if you plan to do side trips and back and forth you need to stop at some Level 2.

Anyway, I want them to get the books of the great road trips, prioritize them and put something in.
Yeah, Northern BC slows down the trip. But not too bad if you do it in season. Red Goat Lodge on the Cassiar is EV friendly...although it is 411 km (255 miles) from Boulder Creek Rest Area, the closest public DCFC. A Level 2 stop at Meziadin Jct could carry you through. From Red Goat to Watson Lake DCFC, it's only 342 km (212 miles)...

Yeah, the thin charging infrastructure in N BC will slow you down, but not really too much, if you travel in the summer season. Red Goat Lodge and RV park on the Cassiar is EV-friendly, but it's 255 miles (411 km) from Boulder Creek Rest Area, the closest DCFC to the south. However, you could make it from Prince George in a long day and 230 miles of range with a couple of extra stops. In addition to the faster options allong the Yellowhead Hwy., Meziadin Jct has some level 2 capability during the summer season. Then you'd want to stay overnight in Iskut (Red Goat) anyway. From there, Watson Lake DCFC is "only" 212 miles (342 km). The hitch then becomes the area around Glennallen/Tok, in interior AK. However, Tok has an electric school bus, and a guy willing to let you charge there at 20 kW, I think; if you make prior arrangements (Stretch Banchard, of Tok Transportation). Check PlugShare. RV parks can provide charging there too, in summer...All of this of course depends on having a working adapter, either Chademo or CCS support...