Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car camping North NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, slightly off topic, it, I am heading up to Byron this week, from Syd. Have decided to road trip it. Wifey has no interest so she’ll fly up and meet me. I am planning on sleeping in the car for a night on the way. Will be trying out my new Dreamcase.

I’m trying to figure out where to stay for the night. Would ideally like something on the beach, somewhere just north or south of Coffs. I assume I can just rent a spot in one of the commercial campgrounds - if they’ll let me stay in the car.

Any suggestions?

Or do it in one day? Get out at 6am, drive to Heatherbrae, breakfast and top up charge. Then Port Macquarie for morning tea and top up, then top up again at Coffs, then Byron Bay.

Failing that, Sawtell/Boambee might be a good option. There is a nice lookout in Boambee (no facilities but would be great to wake up to) Link. Or for a proper park the Sawtell Beach one BIG4 Sawtell Beach Holiday Park is a nice option. ($40 a night for a powered site)

Have often stayed at Sawtell Big4 Park in cabins for work, and it is pretty good.

Wikicamps is your friend particularly for free camping.

Illaroo National Parks campsite at Minnie Water is just gorgeous and with easy road access North of Coffs. Station Creek is also great National Park site but has longish unsealed access.

Grassy Head between Kempsey and Macksville was our goto camp spot in student days to break the trip to Byron Bay.

Enjoy!

We’ve done Sydney-Brisbane straight through a few times. Not really a problem - Byron would be even easier. I’ve never considered sleeping in the car, but if you did then with the superchargers along the way you don’t really need any other power. :)

Thanks everyone. I am unable to depart Syd till early arvo hence the overnight. Tks of the reccos - I have decided I need to stop north of Coffs so that I can superhcharge to 100% before hitting camper more for the evening. So, I have settled on a park at Sapphire Beach. Will post a sitrep when I am up there.

I actually did consider just sleeping in the car at a Supercharger - but not sure about doing that in a mall carpark at Coffs - plus will be nice to wake up to a quick surf...

Anyway tks again

JD

Guys, slightly off topic, it, I am heading up to Byron this week, from Syd. Have decided to road trip it. Wifey has no interest so she’ll fly up and meet me. I am planning on sleeping in the car for a night on the way. Will be trying out my new Dreamcase.

I’m trying to figure out where to stay for the night. Would ideally like something on the beach, somewhere just north or south of Coffs. I assume I can just rent a spot in one of the commercial campgrounds - if they’ll let me stay in the car.

Any suggestions?
How's the dreamcase? Have you been sleeping well?