Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Camping or Boondocking CA Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to take my kids car camping for a night in my Model 3, located around the Bay Area in NorCal. I don't really want to take them to an official campsite because we don't need it. I have a portable toilet that folds up into a small bag, I don't need an electrical hookup, I don't need any amenities.

What I do need is the ability to park my car somewhere (hopefully scenic) without getting hassled. I know we can park overnight at a few of the rest stops around the area, but there's a bunch of people doing that and I'd rather stay away.

Anyone in the area know of some places where I can park the car and hopefully not get approached by an officer or hassled? This seems so much easier in the rest of the USA where there's lot of uninhabited land. Out here, not so much.

What's the deal if I park in one of the many hiking trail parking lots or state parks that are closed at sunset? Will they ticket you if your car is not out of there? I know we get locked in, but that wouldn't be terrible since I have everything we need.

I want to take my kids car camping for a night in my Model 3, located around the Bay Area in NorCal. I don't really want to take them to an official campsite because we don't need it. I have a portable toilet that folds up into a small bag, I don't need an electrical hookup, I don't need any amenities.

What I do need is the ability to park my car somewhere (hopefully scenic) without getting hassled. I know we can park overnight at a few of the rest stops around the area, but there's a bunch of people doing that and I'd rather stay away.

Anyone in the area know of some places where I can park the car and hopefully not get approached by an officer or hassled? This seems so much easier in the rest of the USA where there's lot of uninhabited land. Out here, not so much.

What's the deal if I park in one of the many hiking trail parking lots or state parks that are closed at sunset? Will they ticket you if your car is not out of there? I know we get locked in, but that wouldn't be terrible since I have everything we need.
The police have really cracked down on people sleeping in vehicles overnight.

You used to be able to practically live on Ocean Beach. Now I’m not sure there are any places left to do what you are asking that are safe or free from hassle.

I've been RVing all over California for over 20 years. I have yet to find what you are looking for, especially in the Bay Area. You can't overnight at rest stops. CA 1 would provide the views, but no where to legally overnight.

I always find people overnighting along CA 1 around Malibu, but they are mostly old RV's in rough shape. Can't imagine who's living in them, and don't want ro know. I've also seen the "authorities" going from rig to rig hastling the inhabitants.