Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: Center screen protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Thought I might revive this thread. I'm kinda surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about this.

When people buy a smartphone or a tablet, usually one of the first things they do is buy a screen protector.

People buy a $100K Tesla with one of the biggest touch screens any of us have seen and... no discussion, or minimal anyway.

Has anyone found a reasonable screen protector made for the Tesla Model S?

Thoughts?

Cheers.

-----

Update:

I think I can hear crickets chirping. It's pretty odd on this forum when that occurs.

Cheers Again

Last edited:
I've had touch screens on my last two Lexus' and they have been used for 5+ years and never had a problem without using a protector. Touch screens are designed to be pretty durable. I also never put a protector on my phone and have never damaged my screen.

The difference between a phone and a car is that you put a phone in your pocket I guess. I always have a protector on my iPhone to prevent scratching.
I can't see though how the center screen can be scratched, unless you are very clumsy and/or have kids bouncing through the car :wink:

Besides that, I don't know who of you ever tried to apply a protector to anything bigger like a phone (ie iPad or laptop LCD)?
I found it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to apply the protector without bubbles or any fine dust trapped.

The difference between a phone and a car is that you put a phone in your pocket I guess. I always have a protector on my iPhone to prevent scratching.
I can't see though how the center screen can be scratched, unless you are very clumsy and/or have kids bouncing through the car :wink:

Besides that, I don't know who of you ever tried to apply a protector to anything bigger like a phone (ie iPad or laptop LCD)?
I found it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to apply the protector without bubbles or any fine dust trapped.

I will most certainly have many kids bouncing through my car, so that is my first concern. Toy gets thrown, kid climbs in front seat and starts tapping around with something, etc, etc.

Then there is what jerry 33 brought up: you go to home depot, load something long and metallic and accidentally hit the screen just enough to scratch it.

Or perhaps you are cleaning the windshield and drop something and it scratches across the screen, etc, etc.

I keep OtterBox covers on all my iPhones and have replaced a few covers due to scratches. My kids use iPads when we travel and with the protectors no scratches thus far.

I find them to be quite useful. Would hate to have to spend a ton of cash to fix a scratched screen when I could have spent far less to just buy a replaceable protector.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers.

Has anyone here actually scratched the screen of a device made with Gorilla Glass? It's pretty tough stuff. I ask because I've never heard of any problems, and have never scratched an iPhone or iPad myself even though I don't use screen protection and I routinely carry the iPhone in my pocket with nothing but a ring (bumper) case to protect the edges when I drop it (as I am wont to do). Of course, if you wear diamond jewelry you might have a problem, but I don't.

Whatever stone Levi's and others use to soften their jeans: that will scratch gorilla glass. Make sure all of it is out of the pockets before you put your phone in it. Trust me on this one.

But I'm not worried about the consoles. I'd get a screen protector if I lived somewhere cold and was going to use a stylus to work the controls in the winter. Other than that case, I think it's going to fine.

Has anyone here actually scratched the screen of a device made with Gorilla Glass? It's pretty tough stuff. I ask because I've never heard of any problems, and have never scratched an iPhone or iPad myself even though I don't use screen protection and I routinely carry the iPhone in my pocket with nothing but a ring (bumper) case to protect the edges when I drop it (as I am wont to do). Of course, if you wear diamond jewelry you might have a problem, but I don't.

I have put really light scratches, really swirl marks after having the phone in my pocket with some fairly fine sand. And running around.

I also had a phone with an anti-glare film on top of gorilla glass and the film showed scratches.

But I still do not put screen protectors on my cell phone. I much prefer the luxurious and easy to clean glass, versus some sticky smeary plastic. I also refuse to add a cover to my phones. I have in the past but I am fairly careful with my pocket computer/communication device. It goes by itself in the left pocket (no rivets on coin pocket on jeans on that side to scratch phone surfaces) screen towards leg every time. Keys and pocket knife go into right pocket.

I love it when someone says their iPhone is so thin, and then they have a mega silicone cover on it defeating the purpose of having a thin phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever stone Levi's and others use to soften their jeans: that will scratch gorilla glass. Make sure all of it is out of the pockets before you put your phone in it. Trust me on this one.

But I'm not worried about the consoles. I'd get a screen protector if I lived somewhere cold and was going to use a stylus to work the controls in the winter. Other than that case, I think it's going to fine.

Yes this is what swirled my screen.