Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: Center screen protector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd think just the cloth. There really shouldn't be anything other than fingerprints to wipe off. At least I've never needed anything more than the cloth on my iPhones and other than size there won't be that much difference.

I installed the Nushield protector today. I was kind of dreading it, I'm good with iPhone/iPad sized protectors, but figured this would be more of a pain to do. I couldn't have been more wrong, it took maybe 2 minutes in total, it was SO easy. I didn't peel off the factory protector until just before, so I'm sure that helped minimize dust, but still, it was exceptionally easy (and MUCH better than the factory protector,which obviously isn't meant to be a long term solution).

If it helps, after removing the factory protector, I completely peeled off the first layer of the Nushield, and aligned it at the bottom of the screen. Then I just allowed it to attach itself, working up to the top of the screen. The. I grabbed a credit card, wrapped it in a microfiber cloth (as used for eye glasses - prevents the screen from seeing a 'touch'), and worked out a couple of bubbles. It helps to reboot the screen, as you can see the bubbles much easier on a blank screen, but you only get 15 seconds. Then I peeled off the top layer, and all done.

I installed the Nushield protector today. I was kind of dreading it, I'm good with iPhone/iPad sized protectors, but figured this would be more of a pain to do. I couldn't have been more wrong, it took maybe 2 minutes in total, it was SO easy. I didn't peel off the factory protector until just before, so I'm sure that helped minimize dust, but still, it was exceptionally easy (and MUCH better than the factory protector,which obviously isn't meant to be a long term solution).

If it helps, after removing the factory protector, I completely peeled off the first layer of the Nushield, and aligned it at the bottom of the screen. Then I just allowed it to attach itself, working up to the top of the screen. The. I grabbed a credit card, wrapped it in a microfiber cloth (as used for eye glasses - prevents the screen from seeing a 'touch'), and worked out a couple of bubbles. It helps to reboot the screen, as you can see the bubbles much easier on a blank screen, but you only get 15 seconds. Then I peeled off the top layer, and all done.

Just did it this morning...couldn't be easier (I found it easier than installing a similar protector on my iPad and iPhone). I can't even see that it's there, but for the subtle step-off on the edge (if I look really close). It's very nice.

Has anyone tried Dynaflo Liquid Armor? I've not tried it yet, but I have a friend that swears by it for her iPads. She told me it was easy to put on and works well. Since it's a liquid, it just needs to be wiped on -- no cutting, fitting or bubbles. It comes with a microfiber cloth for polishing, too. I'm thinking about using it on my MS -- when it arrives someday.

Dynaflo Corporation

On a related subject, at Costco today they had this screen cleaning kit....the 2 little bottles in the middle come with their own microfiber cloths in the lid, and seem ideal for keeping in the Model S cubby.

2-10-2013 6-02-26 PM.jpg

Just did it this morning...couldn't be easier

I installed mine as well yesterday. I had a little trouble making sure it was aligned properly, but agree with the suggestion to start from the bottom. It was fairly easy to work out the bubbles once attached, however be prepared for the screen settings to go haywire while rubbing the screen. Overall screen visibility is great after this glossy protector is installed.

I found a great product for the Model S while at CES. Whoosh! is a natural screen cleaner that does a great job at limiting fingerprints.
They had demos with iPad, and I also placed it on my iPhone. Worked pretty well. (I have no affiliation whatsoever with this company)

interesting, been hoping for an oleophobic spray coating. I have a large stash of iKlear for my HDTV's, LCD screens, iStuff around the house and use that. I have bunch of single disposable display wipes and a microfiber towel I keep in the car. Otherwise I normally don't notice the fingerprints.

I normally tap on the Tesla "T" on the top of the LCD which brings up the software version and clean the screen. Seems to reduce the likelihood of me accidentally changing a setting I don't want changed.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=iklear&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

interesting, been hoping for an oleophobic spray coating. I have a large stash of iKlear for my HDTV's, LCD screens, iStuff around the house and use that. I have bunch of single disposable display wipes and a microfiber towel I keep in the car. Otherwise I normally don't notice the fingerprints.

I normally tap on the Tesla "T" on the top of the LCD which brings up the software version and clean the screen. Seems to reduce the likelihood of me accidentally changing a setting I don't want changed.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=iklear&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

I'll check out Whoosh! as well.

So the iKlear should be save for the 17" screen too (you haven't noticed any problems)? I would assume it is. Thanks.

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd share my experience with the boxwave protectors. A friend of mine ordered a set. It came with four films, two matte and two "ClearTouch." He gave me one of each.

2013 Tesla Model S Navigation System ClearTouch Duo (2-Pack)

Both were easy to apply. There are two sides. You peel one, stick it to the screen then peel the other. No adhesive to apply. Fit for both was really good. They are just big enough to fit under the surrounding bezel, and do not leave any gaps.

I tried the matte one first. This is your typical thick, somewhat rough feeling anti glare screen you see on older laptops. It cut down on specular reflections well, but I'd say ambient reflections are worse. It handles fingerprints well. Screen sensitivity was perhaps slightly reduced, but not bad. Because of the rough matte texture, visibility is somewhat reduced and the screen gets a slightly blurry appearance. Personally, I dislike the feel and blur of this type of screen film and removed it. I only have problems with specular reflections in the Model S when the sunroof is open.

The clear one is smooth and glossy. It seems slightly thinner, but that could be just because of the texture. I think specular reflections are actually worse with this screen. I notice now that I can see the passenger side seat reflected in the screen when I didn't really notice it before. It handles fingerprints well, much better than the naked screen. Because of the gloss, bubbles are VERY obvious. I still have this one applied, but my "lint free" cloth wasn't exactly lint free and I ended up with some smaller fibers that create some bubbles toward the bottom of the screen that I cannot remove. I may try again if the extra glare from this one doesn't get the best of me.

Overall I feel like these are all tradeoffs. If I could get a clear screen that was the same gloss level as the naked screen I'd be happy.

Naked screen: Risk of scratches, fingerprints are bad, visibility and responsiveness are best.

Matte film: Blurry, ambient reflections are bad, specular reflections are best, fingerprints are good.

Clear film: Specular reflections are worse, fingerprints are good.

I'm interested in a screen protector, not for protection but for glare/fingerprint reduction. I've used them on my iPad for years and like what they do (even with a slight reduction in clarity, which I think would be even less of an issue in a car).

Anyone care to recommend one over another? (Ease of application without bubbles is huge plus).

NuShield
BoxWave
PosR.us
PhotoDon