Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: Controlled experiment - test gloss and durability of the top paint finishes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I too late to request Pinnacle Souveran Wax? It's pricey about $95 a container. It's amazing on a dark colored car.

That's what I'm putting on mine when she arrives late Feb/early Mar. Claybar (doubt I'll get much off, but who knows) followed by Klasse AIO polish, Klasse high gloss sealant glaze, and Pinnacle Souveran wax. Just received some new pads for my DA polisher, so I'm ready to go. Just don't have the car yet. :)

That's what I'm putting on mine when she arrives late Feb/early Mar. Claybar (doubt I'll get much off, but who knows) followed by Klasse AIO polish, Klasse high gloss sealant glaze, and Pinnacle Souveran wax. Just received some new pads for my DA polisher, so I'm ready to go. Just don't have the car yet. :)

It's a wax, and as I've indicated before I won't be testing waxes in this first round, as they have low durability. And as you're suggesting, they are not a base coat, but a final layer. In this round I'm looking at those foundation layers and associated products intend to boost gloss and durability. But maybe if I get useful results I'll move on to waxes in a 2nd stage.

It's a wax, and as I've indicated before I won't be testing waxes in this first round, as they have low durability. And as you're suggesting, they are not a base coat, but a final layer. In this round I'm looking at those foundation layers and associated products intend to boost gloss and durability. But maybe if I get useful results I'll move on to waxes in a 2nd stage.

When your Model S arrives, will you check the original paint to see how it compares as a control vs the products?

Last edited:
When your Model S arrives, will you check the original paint to see how the original paint compares as a control vs the products?

For sure. I'm planning to take a number of test measurements of the Model S surfaces: frunk lid, doors, fenders, and a few others, then compare them to the test panels. Of course, I'll have the test panels and to the experiment before I have the car, but I'll be using on my Model S whatever products scores best in the testing.

My experiment is about to start. I tested the procedure today with a test panel and the Blackfire products. First I took gloss measurements in five spots for the basic panel before the finish was applied. I then averaged those readings. The I applied the Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection and took readings in the same five spots and averaged them. Then I applied the Blackfire Midnight Sun Instant Detailer and took readings in the same spots and averaged them.

Here are the results.

Initial panel average gloss reading without finish: 96.8
Average gloss reading after application of Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection: 97.7
Average gloss reading after application of Blackfire Midnight Sun Instant Detailer: 97.2

As I've not yet tested any other products I don't know whether these results are good or bad. But I'm guessing they're not good. The increase in gloss was relatively small over the panels with no finish and the detailer spray actually reduced the gloss a bit. BTW the gloss testing instrument is not affected by ambient light -- it provides its own light source and blocks all ambient light (I tested it in a dark room and a bright room with the same results).

I'll test another product this evening and post the results in a spreadsheet that will grow as I continue the testing. I'm also working out a procedure this evening to test depth of gloss. We'll see how this goes.

Of course all of this is very preliminary and hasty. I have to allow time for the fist application of all of the finishes to cure longer.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports Video on Car Wax Testing: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/cars/other-cars/finding-the-best-car-wax/17215789001/736274696001/

Ratings: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/car-wax/buying-guide.htm

Before buying a car wax, be aware that premium car wax brands don't necessarily hold up any better than lower-priced alternatives, based on our latest tests. In fact, some moderately priced liquids scored near the top of our Ratings--better than some products costing twice as much.

Still, none of the 19 products tested were good enough to be Rated excellent, with most showing signs of deterioration within a few weeks.

We also found that pastes performed no better than liquids overall, though the two top-scoring pastes were the only waxes to rated excellent for durability. Both wax types had similar scores for ease of use.

We did not evaluate spray-on/wipe-off products this time, because earlier tests have shown them to be less effective for cleaning, to be ineffective against weather, and to rate the worst for durability. They're best only for newer finishes and if you wash and wax frequently.

Thanks to today's clear-coat finishes, our testing shows that even the best wax will probably not improve the shine on a new car. Regular washing is still the most important step to protecting your car's finish. But a coat of wax can add a layer of protection against tree sap, bird droppings, and other contaminants--at least for a while. Most products we tested showed a significant loss of protection within about five weeks. For this reason, we recommend waxing even new cars every two or three months. And if your car is older or the finish has begun to dull, the effects can be even more dramatic. Waxing can fill minute finish imperfections, and waxes that scored highly for gloss improvement removed oxidation and made paint appear darker and more vibrant.

But be aware that the paint finishes on some darker-colored cars can actually be damaged by some of the more abrasive waxes, which can leave swirl marks. Check our Ratings for products that scored lower in this area.

The part I found interesting was CR's claim that "even the best wax will probably not improve the shine on a new car."

Consumer Reports Video on Car Wax Testing: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/cars/other-cars/finding-the-best-car-wax/17215789001/736274696001/

Ratings: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/car-wax/buying-guide.htm

The part I found interesting was CR's claim that "even the best wax will probably not improve the shine on a new car."

They appear to have only tested waxes. Don't need CR to tell us they have limited durability -- I think we all knew that.

I learned from my first tests that I must always recalibrate the gloss meter each time I run a test. Otherwise the comparative results will be invalid. So I'm throwing out the Blackfire results reported today. So far I am seeing an improvement in gloss and some comparative differences in the products I've tested so far, although not of great magnitude.

Isn't that like saying "even the best air purifiers can't do anything with pre-purified air"?

Cute, but no. The finish products are marketed to consumers not as "preserve your new car shine," but as improvements, for instance:

Colors gain the rich depth of a bottomless pool
http://www.carid.com/universal-detailing/mothers-california-gold-products-1642290.html

produces incredible color, depth and clarity with just one application
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+waxing/car+waxes+and+sealants/best+of+show+wax.do

Extended protection with amplified reflectivity
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g18211-ultimate-wax-paste/

will out perform, out protect, outshine and outlast anything on the market today
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-2&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=8

etc.

The purpose of a paint finish is to preserve the car's clear coat. It's an easily replaceable sacrificial layer. But, it's come to mean improving the paint's gloss and "depth." I find it interesting that according to CR, they don't significantly enhance, so the most they can do is protect. And yes, I don't trust CR to be truly critical. CR doesn't look at things the way experts in the relevant fields do. That applies to their tool reviews, their cooking item reviews, their car reviews, and I'll bet their paint finish reviews. CR helps people who don't really know what's going on avoid bad things, not get the best.

Suggestion: Take video of the application process, so when people complain that you applied Product X improperly, you can show how you did it. I'm interested to see your results. Happy testing.

A good suggestion but even that won't silence the people who've got an emotional or financial stake in one product or another. This is complicated enough so I think I'll pass on that. In the end, whichever products "win" (if any win) will go on my Model S. That's enough for me. Everyone else can make up his or her own mind based on the results.

I begin application of the ten products this evening with the goal of letting them all "cure" over the weekend and posting the first round of complete results early next week.

Last edited:
Is there a visual difference with 5-7 points of gloss on the machine, or at those numbers is it only detectable by an instrument?

My sense is yes and I'm going to do a visual inspection tomorrow. Today I was focused on the instrument measurements.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone used CQuartz Finest product? I hear it is awesome, keeps the gloss and lasts longer than typical waxes. It apparently lasts 1-2 years through washes. Any thoughts?

That's the CQuartz product I tested.

Here's my car yesterday after a wash, clay bar, Zaino All-In-One, followed by Zaino Z-5. Warning: I am an amateur.
tail.jpg

Here's my car yesterday after a wash, clay bar, Zaino All-In-One, followed by Zaino Z-5. Warning: I am an amateur.

That's some serious gloss Todd!

@Artsci... The real measure then will be in the duration of each, how each wear and tear with road use, grime, and then subsequent washings. Look forward to the results. Thank you! This is something that we can all benefit from.

Last edited:
That's some serious gloss Todd!

@Artsci... The real measure then will be in the duration of each, how each wear and tear with road use, grime, and then subsequent washings. Look forward to the results. Thank you! This is something that we can all benefit from.

For sure. That will be the most important part of the test.

All of the panels are now outside on my deck rail, exposed to the weather. I'll do a visual evaluation today of gloss depth and in two weeks do a water bead test and another gloss measurement after each panel has been washed (with the same car wash).

Update: Without knowing which panel was which, I randomly laid all of them outside in the same position and tried to pick the one with the greatest color depth and brightness. This was a completely subjective judgment and was pretty difficult to do, as they all seemed pretty similar and one was not clearly superior. It was a blinded test -- I didn't know which product was which as I viewed them (the labels are on the back of each panel and not visible). After scrutinizing them, I chose one that seemed to have greater depth and clarity to reflections. It was the Glare Professional Polish.