Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so Tesla higher ups don't want their service centers installing these because of possible deflation of tires and the resultant liability. I am supposing the few service center installs here were done without any higher up guidance or knowledge and future service center installs might not happen. This makes me nervous about installing them myself.

It seems these tires are much easier to rash than on most cars. Agree? Disagree? Would this be considered a design flaw? Perhaps Tesla could come up with their own solution to the problem? I think a sonar proximity detector (like in my Sienna minivan) and/or a Telsa designed factory version, Tesla tested version of something like the alloy gators would be nice...

Thanks Monkey. Very thorough. I'm curious about the glue on clips. The videos I've seen don't have sound. What are they trying to say as far as spacing on the clips? Is this obvious?Or, does it take some thought? Did you have to pound so hard that the car shook on the jack? Did that ever concern you?
It's fairly clear in the written directions where the clips go. And while you've got to smack the daylights out of the alloygators to get them on, it's maybe a 2 lb rubber mallet hitting a 4600lb car, so it doesn't shake :). I'd be reticent to use a rubber covered metal mallet though. If I missed with the rubber mallet and partially hit one of the turbine wheel "blades" it wasn't a big deal. If it'd been a heavier mallet with metal behind the rubber, I'd be worried about causing actual damage. As it was, it was like smacking it with an extra firm Nerf mallet.

like ckessel said, the directions are pretty clear. the diagram that comes in the bag is good. The clips slide in to angled grooves, worth trying a time or two before adding the glue to get familiar with the angle, since it starts to bond very quickly, as in seconds. best done beforehand sitting down at a table in a well lit room, either that or I'm getting old :~). you add the clips to the first 9 slots then every other after that, ending with the last slot. I completed one gator and then used that as a template. you do get an extra gator, either intended for a spare or thrown in just in case you screw up, though there are not a lot of extra clips. ckessel is probably right about a rubber coated metal hammer. I don't know what the perfect one is, I just know that mine has quite a bit of bounce and it would have been easier presumably if it was heavier and denser, more like the one in the video. I guess the up side to the hammer I used was that I never felt like I was damaging the rim or rocking the car... 3 tires were on the ground at all times so I was quite comfortable with the level of safety.

I agree with others, it would be very nice if Tesla figured either how to protect the rims better with a factory installed version of the gator or pick a wheel that is less vulnerable... though now that I have my eyes out, it seems that most performance rims are vulnerable in this way, one of the hair shirts folks who love them seem to be willing to wear. the easiest thing would be to offer a 19 inch wheel that is more like the turbine. the factory 19's are just too bleh for my tastes, but more practical by virtue of having more tire wall bulge to protect the rims.

Thanks Monkey. Very thorough. I'm curious about the glue on clips. The videos I've seen don't have sound. What are they trying to say as far as spacing on the clips? Is this obvious?Or, does it take some thought? Did you have to pound so hard that the car shook on the jack? Did that ever concern you?

Last edited:
Let's not forget that the 19" wheel option from Tesla only comes with all-season rubber. I would have been happy with 19" turbines, or possibly the current 19" wheel look if it came with performance (summer) rubber. All-seasons was not a compromise I was willing to live with.

There is definitely a market for 19 or 20" turbine wheels in a black instead of gray color with performance wheels. They could price it below the 21" rims but above the 19" all season tire/rim combo.

I have 2 sets of brand new 21" Alloy Gators I ordered from England -- still sealed and brand new (comes with 5 of them). One set black, one set red. If anyone is interested, I'm undecided if I'm going to use them or not (may end up going to 19" wheels). So PM me if anyone wants to buy them, I think the price I paid from the UK is cheaper than the price you'd buy them from the US distributer. I also ordered extra installation clips and such and will throw those in free.

I have 2 sets of brand new 21" Alloy Gators I ordered from England -- still sealed and brand new (comes with 5 of them). One set black, one set red. If anyone is interested, I'm undecided if I'm going to use them or not (may end up going to 19" wheels). So PM me if anyone wants to buy them, I think the price I paid from the UK is cheaper than the price you'd buy them from the US distributer. I also ordered extra installation clips and such and will throw those in free.

You are aware that alloy gators are a one size, fits all item, correct? You just trim them down to fit your wheel size (even on 21" wheels they require some trimming).

I've seen lots of photos of the grey 21" wheels with the black Gators on. Has anyone with the silver 21" wheels installed with the black or silver Gators that would be willing to post some photos? I'd like to get some ordered, but would like to see what looks best on the lighter colored wheels.

Thanks!!

I took my car in this morning to the Fremont service center to have them install the Alloy Gators. The service tech read up on them and thought they were a good idea. I'll talk with him again when I pick up the car tonight. It would be nice if Tesla could offer them as an option, they could even get them custom made to exactly match the color of the wheels.

Hello,

I saw the uk price is cheaper to but with shipping and everything it came out to be about forty dollars more and the http://www.infinityworldwide1.com/wheelprotector.htm usually ships out that day and takes no longer then 5 days since it goes out ups ground so worst case it would be 5 days california. And I was pleased with how quick they got it and how they look. Also the guy was very helpful with the questions i asked him.

I've seen lots of photos of the grey 21" wheels with the black Gators on. Has anyone with the silver 21" wheels installed with the black or silver Gators that would be willing to post some photos? I'd like to get some ordered, but would like to see what looks best on the lighter colored wheels.

Thanks!!

I have the silver 21" wheels on my sig red MS.

My suggestion is that black looks better. It matches the tires and isn't subject to the differences in silver color. I don't have pictures handy but will grab some next time I can get the car out in sunlight.