Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the gators stay on when you replace the tires?
Their website says they can be reused with new tires. You can't reapply them though since it's glued together, so I'm assuming that means the tire place can put the tires on with the gators in place. In practice, I'm guess a gator or two will break and I'll be putting ones on now and then. We'll see.

Their website says they can be reused with new tires. You can't reapply them though since it's glued together, so I'm assuming that means the tire place can put the tires on with the gators in place. In practice, I'm guess a gator or two will break and I'll be putting ones on now and then. We'll see.

That doesn't seem correct - if you have a look at them, and how they fit, they would definitely come off when changing the tires out of the rims (not changing tire+rim). They are not glued into the tire, but to themselves on the ends to make a ring, which is held in place by the bead. My uneducated guess is that you could simply break the bond between the 'connector' and the ring of the gator itself, then order a new 'connector' to apply over the ring material reapplied to the new tire. THeir website features a kit of the cover connector and a set of new 'teeth' that help anchor the gators deep in the bead.

Or you could just ask them, I guess. :confused:

they need to put out "dark carbon grey" touch-up paint for these things.

i have the exact same car as you, and i am dreading the day when i do exactly what you describe.

i've read in the curb-rash thread that getting it fixed at a detail shop is like $100 a pop... fwiw..

Touch-up paint, including silver and grey wheel paint, is now available at the online Tesla store.

I feel your pain! Some of you have already seen my TMC post about this, but for those of you who have not, here it is, entitled, "The Hun gets a Manicure!" :cursing:

I had the silver AlloyGators professionally installed today on my 21" turbine wheels. They look very good, the color matches reasonably well, and best yet they hide the scrape I'd already done to one wheel. I'm relieved to finally have this protection. Here are photos from a variety of angles.

DSC_3398.JPG

DSC_3399.JPG

DSC_3400.JPG

DSC_3401.JPG

DSC_3404.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great. I bought the black gators. Red MS/21 silver wheels as well. I tried to have them installed today and the place I went to wanted $135/hour and they have never installed them before. I said no.

Do you mind if I ask how much your place charged you? Was it an NTB or just tires type of place?

Looks great. I bought the black gators. Red MS/21 silver wheels as well. I tried to have them installed today and the place I went to wanted $135/hour and they have never installed them before. I said no.

Do you mind if I ask how much your place charged you? Was it an NTB or just tires type of place?

$95. It's a general shop specializing in wheel/tires. A local place that I've used for many years. They even let me assist.

The Tesla service center indicated they would put them on for me for less than $100.....but where do you get them? I ordered from England but they will take 3-4 weeks to get here (customs back up)...Is there a place in the US you can get them? Thanks

The Tesla service center indicated they would put them on for me for less than $100.....but where do you get them? I ordered from England but they will take 3-4 weeks to get here (customs back up)...Is there a place in the US you can get them? Thanks

Tesla Rockville won't install aftermarket items. I asked. I ordered from the UK in January. It could have taken 3 months and it wouldn't have mattered to me since ive had my car for 36 hours. Sorry I can't help. There was a US company selling them under a different name but it was cheaper to buy from the UK. Go figure.

Last edited:
Tesla Rockville won't install aftermarket items.
That surprises me. They will rotate non Tesla snow tire/wheel combo and won't do simple 'gators'. I could see if they thought it might void a tire warranty...otherwise ??? Don't want to get anyone in trouble but my 'local' center said no problem if I supply the 'gators'.

You're in MD, right? Can you PM me the name of the place? Maybe ill just go there. Thanks.

It's Jeff Wise Automotive Service, 410-252-8361, 1947 Greenspring Drive, Timonium, Maryland 21093. You'll save time and money if you install the little metal clips on the gators before you go. Tell them Rick referred you and make sure they know you have a Model S.

The place doesn't look very impressive but they do very good, careful work.