Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: @#)$(*!% Curb rash...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are you guys/gals curbing the wheels? Is it mostly from parallel parking? Maybe trying to squeeze by another car when making a right turn?

The MS is significantly wider than any car I've ever owned (our SUV doesn't count because there's nothing to curb other than some rubber), so I'm sure I'm going to be extra cautious the first few weeks/months of having the car. It's been a very long time since I curbed a rim. I hope to keep extending that stretch.

How are you guys/gals curbing the wheels? Is it mostly from parallel parking? Maybe trying to squeeze by another car when making a right turn?

I've rubbed my right rear wheel against the curb a few times while turning right; fortunately I'm on the 19's for winter and no damage. I think it's been happening because the rear is wider than the front. I suspect my mental model of the car's width is based on the front wheels. I'm slowly getting used to it. (The Roadster is the same but it's a small car.)

I'm pretty paranoid parking next to curbs with this car. I'm still not quite used to it - tend to be farther than planned.

Finished wheel and 4lb deadblow hammer
8452231240_dfea5e7697_b.jpg

8451138895_b0d267198a_b.jpg

There are two different products that I know of to protect alloy wheels.I'm sure there are others...The Rim Blade product requires a flat area 1/4 inch wide at the edge of the wheel to put the adhesive on the rim and hold the Rim Blade in place.The Tesla 21 inch rims do not have the 1/4 inch flat area so theoretically the Rim Blade would not work on the Tesla rim...The Alloygator does not require a flat area on the edge of the rim to attach the rim protector and therefore the Alloygator should work on the Tesla rims..providing you can swing the rubber mallet with enough force.
Finished wheel and 4lb deadblow hammer
View attachment 15986
View attachment 15987

SAVE THE RIMS: Tesla we need rear camera grid and proximity sensors with parking assist ASAP!

I have developed a severe allergy to tight parking garages and curb parking of any kind …. it is very hard to judge where the rear wheels are in this car. HELP!

I second that! I'm really nervous about rashing my 21" wheels. I wish there were some kind of really decent proximity detection system and/or cameras. Tesla is not about to build one though (at least not any time soon), so I'll be looking into aftermarket solutions. The black alloy gators seem like the best thing so far....

SAVE THE RIMS: Tesla we need rear camera grid and proximity sensors with parking assist ASAP!

I have developed a severe allergy to tight parking garages and curb parking of any kind …. it is very hard to judge where the rear wheels are in this car. HELP!

For people worried about their rims I suggest doing exercises in a parking lot to learn where your rims end up. I posted it in this thread from last year. My first drive was a modified '6 gap' as my wife was losing patience.

Your first gratuitous Model S Drive...

I outline some easy to train lessons. And my previous car I only had 1 very minor (barely visible) touching of my rims to curb, and put 117,000 miles on it. It works. And I regularly drove with my passenger wheels in the gutter to avoid speed bumps. It takes about 2 sessions of about 4 hours to get good. I would space them out about 2 weeks.

Why buy a bullet proof vest, when you can learn to dodge the bullets?

I still have not gone out to a parking lot yet. Maybe this Sunday.

Aaaarrgh! My wheel!!

Had my S in San Francisco this weekend and stayed at the Mark Hopkins. Checked in at the front and drove it down to the lot to the charger. They have this ridiculous narrow curvy drive down from the valet. I am having trouble with feeling the width of this car. There is a very low curve at the edge of this drive and it caught the edge of my beautiful Tesla wheel!! Expensive weekend... Rim rash supreme. I think my only solution is to buy a new wheel ... :cursing:

Sorry to hear. I did it to mine after having the S in only 3 days. I should have known better - it was the same strange curb area at a friends that I hit with my old ICE car! I was able to file out the worst of it, so it's not all that noticeable (except to me).

You might try to clean it up as you have nothing to lose. Be sure to vacuum any filings as you don't want it going into the brake/rotor. You might also check with a tire place to see if they can clean it up.

You might also check with a tire place to see if they can clean it up.

Tire places don't have the facilities, but there are alloy wheel repair shops that repair them. You'll need to search for one in your area. Far less expensive than a new wheel. Don't mess it up for them by trying to do it yourself.

Thanks for the feedback. It's been a week, and I still vividly remember the horrible grinding sound each time I walk up to my poor wheel. I was thinking of trying to mammoth it some and get some touch up from tesla (so they sell it yet?). But you think that's a bad idea Jerry33? I figured I had nothing to lose.