Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: What is the best way to dry car after a wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This:
CorpMain.png

I can dry off my Miata in 5 minutes and it's spotless. Got the tip from a Miata carwash forum and it's been a hell of a good tip.

Of course, there's the irony of using a gas-powered blower to dry off an electric car..... ;-)

This:
View attachment 15002

I can dry off my Miata in 5 minutes and it's spotless. Got the tip from a Miata carwash forum and it's been a hell of a good tip.

Of course, there's the irony of using a gas-powered blower to dry off an electric car..... ;-)

I think I'll use my electric lithium battery leaf blower!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

After 21 years of obsessive washing and waxing I've found what works best for me. This is best done out of direct sunlight to minimize water spots.
1. Immediately after rinsing use an electric leaf blower to blast most of the water off, don't neglect body panel gaps and grills. This is extremely effective at getting water out of crevices.
2. Get two microfiber drying towels from griotsgarage.com. Dry the vertical glass first, then the windshield followed by the rest of the glass. Move on to the vertical body panels then horizontal panels. Water runs off the vertical panels first, so you want to hit them before water spots have a chance to dry. The towel works best when slightly damp, if it gets too wet grab the second towel.
3. Get some 100% cotton wipe down cloths, also from griotsgarage.com. Open the doors, frunk, and trunk one at a time and wipe down the openings, undersides of the doors, and any other area that's still wet or dusty/grimy. Don't neglect these openings.
4. Use the same wipe down cloths to dry and spot clean the wheels (you did properly wash the wheels right? right? Good)
5. If not doing a wax/polish (I recommend Zaino ZC, Z-5, and Z-2 with the ZFX accelerator) grab your favorite quick detailer spray (I recommend Zaino Z-6 or griotsgarage.com Speed Shine) and a microfiber speed shine towel. Spray and buff each body panel to get rid of any water spots you may have missed.
6. Finally do the windows, again griotsgarage.com has some good stuff.