Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Changing Size on Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's new feature as of a few software versions ago. It is intended to give you better visibility of the display car's scans, brake lights, etc. The car will appear larger when you are on a two lane road and smaller when you are on a 4 lane highway because there is less to display on the former and more on the latter. I really like this change. As far as I know, there is no way for you to change it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Radlaw
I don’t believe the zoom is keyed off the road type you are on.

In my experience, it keys off if someone was recently near you (in your lane or the neighboring lane). You can be on a large highway with it zoomed in. As you approach a vehicle to pass them (or vice versa), the display zooms out to be able to show the other car in your blind spot. If no car is around you for something like a minute (maybe just 30 seconds), the display zooms back in on your car. Oncoming traffic on a two-lane road doesn’t trigger the zooming effect.

You will only see the zoomed in view when you are not near other cars for “a while”.