Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car charger for use with solar.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per my first sentence:

Depends on when the system was installed and whether or not it has an export meter.

Given that export payments vary depending on the date the system was installedm the size of the system and whether or not an export meter is fitted, there's no "one size fits all" answer. The solution that is most cost effective is probably going to be somewhat different for every individual installation.

I don't usually manage charging manually, both charge points have time switches so most of the time they only turn on during the E7 period. As I wrote above, I'm personally not too fussed about chasing the odd few pennies by using every last bit of excess solar generation, as all it does is slight increase the "profit" we make overall, and only by a few pounds a year. Any small additional saving is swamped by the big variation in PV generation from one year to the next, anyway, as that tends to be around +/- 10% to +/- 20% from one year to the next (last year was very good!).

Like the OP I do very few miles per week as I'm retired. I have Solar and also storage batteries - 3X 4.5Kw Solax Tripple Power batts. Due to low mileage I'm not bothering with a 7Kw charge point - my research pointed to getting the Myenergie Zappi if I was to have one at all but I found a better solution for me.

I have Hive for the heating which also controls smart plugs, I am using the 2kw charger supplied with the car - plugged in to a Hive smartplug - With the car in the garage its left plugged into the car, I monitor my solar generation and charge levels of my batteries on my phone and once the home batteries are over 85% and I'm generating in excess of 2.5Kw I switch on the smartplug to start charging the car.
Usually by lunchtime my batteries are fully charged anyway so from lunchtime until at least 1800hrs from March onwards I know I'm exporting so now that excess is being diverted to the car. If the weather changes and we get rain I just turn the smartplug off.

I will resist ever having a smartmeter as I want to be paid FIT for 100% of generation and the 50% deemed export although i export very very little, If ever I get the situation that i need a full charge urgently Im fortunate in that i have Tesla superchargers just three miles from home.

Like the OP I do very few miles per week as I'm retired. I have Solar and also storage batteries - 3X 4.5Kw Solax Tripple Power batts. Due to low mileage I'm not bothering with a 7Kw charge point - my research pointed to getting the Myenergie Zappi if I was to have one at all but I found a better solution for me.

I have Hive for the heating which also controls smart plugs, I am using the 2kw charger supplied with the car - plugged in to a Hive smartplug - With the car in the garage its left plugged into the car, I monitor my solar generation and charge levels of my batteries on my phone and once the home batteries are over 85% and I'm generating in excess of 2.5Kw I switch on the smartplug to start charging the car.
Usually by lunchtime my batteries are fully charged anyway so from lunchtime until at least 1800hrs from March onwards I know I'm exporting so now that excess is being diverted to the car. If the weather changes and we get rain I just turn the smartplug off.

I will resist ever having a smartmeter as I want to be paid FIT for 100% of generation and the 50% deemed export although i export very very little, If ever I get the situation that i need a full charge urgently Im fortunate in that i have Tesla superchargers just three miles from home.
Having a smart meter installed shouldn’t affect any pre-existing FIT and deemed contract as far as I’m aware. But if your happy with the tariffs available to you, stay as you are.

Reactions: MrBadger
...If ever I get the situation that i need a full charge urgently Im fortunate in that i have Tesla superchargers just three miles from home.

Only disadvantage of a supercharger 3 miles from home will be that you'd have no chance to precondition the battery for optimum charging - you will get relatively low charging speed that will not respect any "urgency" you might need for a quick "fill & fly".

Optimum use of a local supercharger is to charge on the way home from a long journey, preconditioning on the way, so the battery will be good and ready to accept a fast(er) charge.