Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car charger for use with solar.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Model S and are about to have solar panels installed on the house.

At present we charge from a three pin plug, but as the car only does a tiny mileage (often less than 50 miles per week) this isn't restrictive.

However, the plan is to have a proper charging point installed which is smart so that it will just charge the car when there is excess sun, rather than use power from the grid.

The two makes which have been recommended to me are Zappi and Anderson. I appreciate that most people won't have experience with both, but if you have experience with either, can you provide comments and feedback (whether positive or negative).

Is there any other system that does the same job, which I should consider as an alternative to the above?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

One thing to watch with excess solar charging is that the minimum charge rate is 6A, at least on the Model 3 - don't know about Model S but assume the same. So you will need approx 1400W excess generation to make use of some charger modes. This can result in stop-start charging. Worth looking if alternative modes may be more suitable if you don't have a large PV install.

I charge at 10A and if its going to be a sunny day, I'll start it charging and not worry if I don't get everything out of excess Solar. We have 4kWp of PV.

I have two Zappi’s (one for the Model 3 and the other for my wife’s Outlander PHEV). We have 2 solar arrays totalling 10.9Kw as well as two Powerwalls.
We can charge from the Powerwalls but tend not to.
In summer on a good day I can generate 60Kwh. It was 40Kwh before the second array was installed.
Throughout spring summer, summer and early early autumn I can run the house and cars for nothing.
I don’t have any issues with the Zappi’s they are customisable to suit most needs, whether solar, grid, off peak and so on.
As @VanillaAir_UK has said, you need a minimum of 1.4Kw to start charging and generally your home will get first call on solar generation, so running a kettle/dishwasher etc may interrupt a charge.

edit

I would add, that I’ve not had any issues with the Zappi’s and their customer service is excellent

Last edited:
I’ve had a Zappi for 3 years. Aside from some issues playing nice with a hybrid DC home battery, it works very well. It’s been pretty faultless with my i3, and I understand Teslas now play nice with it, too. MyEnergi are very active on their forum and they are responsive to any issues raised. There are frequent firmware updates, too, so fixes and new features are regularly brought out.

Definitely go for tethered. Untethered chargers are just a nuisance. Most people I know with unterethered chargers end up leaving their cables plugged in the whole time and end up buying a second cable to keep with the car.

I have two Zappi’s (one for the Model 3 and the other for my wife’s Outlander PHEV). We have 2 solar arrays totalling 10.9Kw as well as two Powerwalls.
We can charge from the Powerwalls but tend not to.
In summer on a good day I can generate 60Kwh. It was 40Kwh before the second array was installed.
Throughout spring summer, summer and early early autumn I can run the house and cars for nothing.
I don’t have any issues with the Zappi’s they are customisable to suit most needs, whether solar, grid, off peak and so on.
As @VanillaAir_UK has said, you need a minimum of 1.4Kw to start charging and generally your home will get first call on solar generation, so running a kettle/dishwasher etc may interrupt a charge.

edit

I would add, that I’ve not had any issues with the Zappi’s and their customer service is excellent

That fills me with confidence. We will have 10.5 kw from two arrays. & only one car to charge. Thanks for your input.

I’ve had a Zappi for 3 years. Aside from some issues playing nice with a hybrid DC home battery, it works very well. It’s been pretty faultless with my i3, and I understand Teslas now play nice with it, too. MyEnergi are very active on their forum and they are responsive to any issues raised. There are frequent firmware updates, too, so fixes and new features are regularly brought out.

Definitely go for tethered. Untethered chargers are just a nuisance. Most people I know with unterethered chargers end up leaving their cables plugged in the whole time and end up buying a second cable to keep with the car.
I agree. Tethered is no trouble at all. I had to swap the cables on mine when the M3 kicked the Outlander out of the garage. That was an easy job.

• Funny
Reactions: Rustybkts
For me, once car starts charging, I wouldn't stop and start it, just let it go down to 6 amp.
Otherwise the contactor in the car will be going in and out often.
Not sure if that's great for it long term.
But my charge point and meter etc are along way from 1 another. So I use iot (internet of things).
So the charger, the main meter and the solar, house etc all communicate with each other using MQTT. Then the charge rate can be set based on anything or everything. Could even have multiple chargers talking to the mix, and have various outcomes. Or schedules mixed in.

There's a time delay of around 10 minutes or so between the charge point contactor opening and the car HV battery contactor opening, as the HV contactor doesn't close until the car goes to sleep. For times when excess solar generation drops enough to cause the charge point to open its contactor, as long as the charger(s) don't stay de-energised for more than about ten minutes, the HV contactor shouldn't open at all. In variable generation, or variable load, conditions, the chances are that any dip below 6 A will probably be of a fairly short duration, except when generation is starting to drop off for the day.

Having said that, when I had my system set up for variable charge rate CP signalling, based on whether the cost to charge using solar plus the grid was lower than the night time off-peak rate, I found that the lag between the charge point CP signalling a change in available current, and the charger(s) actually ramping up to that current, made the whole process inefficient. The charger(s) don't seem to respond very quickly, but take maybe ten to twenty seconds to ramp up, although they ramp down quickly.

I binned the solar variable charge rate scheme a while ago now, and reverted to just having a manually selectable charge current. This seems to be better in terms of efficiency, and I've found that setting the charge current to around 8 to 10 A works very well with our just over 6 kWp PV array. The two main reasons are down to the fact that the charger(s) are not efficient when running down at 6 A (and the Model 3 charger(s) seem to be able to go down to about 5 A, outside the IEC61851 spec), and also charging efficiency is a lot better when the charger(s) are running at a fixed current, it seems. I'm pretty sure that the Model 3 just runs one charger when operating at a fixed input current below 16 A, and that probably accounts for part of the efficiency improvement.

We have gone with the Zappi.

The above is all useful info, thank you. It also leads me to the next question.

Having read the Zappi Manual last night, one of the setting for eco charging is minimum stop / start delay. I had assumed to set this at a minimum so to optimise avoiding charging from the grid. However, it it will be detrimental to long term health / wear / tear on the car, should I consider a longer time delay and if so, what sort of time would be appropriate?

We have gone with the Zappi.

The above is all useful info, thank you. It also leads me to the next question.

Having read the Zappi Manual last night, one of the setting for eco charging is minimum stop / start delay. I had assumed to set this at a minimum so to optimise avoiding charging from the grid. However, it it will be detrimental to long term health / wear / tear on the car, should I consider a longer time delay and if so, what sort of time would be appropriate?
MyEnergi recommend leaving this at the default 30s to avoid stopping the charge due to a cloud passing over. I think it’sa decent middle ground. Too short and you’re constantly start/stopping, too long and you’ll end up charging off the grid when there’s spots of sunshine after it’s clouded over.

Also worth bearing in mind that the charger ramp up time I mentioned earlier tends to dominate. The charger(s) don't respond instantly to a change in charge point advertised maximum available current. This can be seen if you watch the way the charge current tends to increase slowly at the start of a charge. The charger(s) seems to respond in much the same way whenever a variable current charge point, like the Zappi, increases its advertised maximum current. 30 seconds is probably a bit too short, perhaps, as I've seen the charger(s) take over a minute to ramp up after a charge point change. AFAIK, there's no way to adjust the way the charger(s) behave, that's fixed within the firmware in the car.

Though the feel good factor of charging with solar can't be discounted I have seen it pointed out that if you charge at night on a 5p KWh tariff (Octopus) it is cheaper than solar direct .. because you would be paid slightly more than that for exporting your solar to the grid. (This is second hand information but the solar users here will no doubt be able to confirm or deny!)

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
Having been researching the market, the only people I know of who pay more than 5 p kw for your solar power are Octopus. That is 8 p when you buy from them, or 8 p when they buy from you.

I think the car will absorb all spare power so I wont be selling much back to the grid.

Though the feel good factor of charging with solar can't be discounted I have seen it pointed out that if you charge at night on a 5p KWh tariff (Octopus) it is cheaper than solar direct .. because you would be paid slightly more than that for exporting your solar to the grid. (This is second hand information but the solar users here will no doubt be able to confirm or deny!)

Depends on when the system was installed and whether or not it has an export meter. We're on 50% deemed export, so currently get paid 5.57p/kWh for 50% of our total generation, irrespective of how much we self-consume. We generate around 6 MWh/year usually, and consume about 3 MWh/year from the grid, so in our case the 50% is pretty accurate, I think. Our income from export payments is about £167/year, plus we get a FiT payment of about £850/year (14.16p/kWh of total generation). We pay about £600 for our imported electricity (including the standing charge), so on balance our total household energy cost (we only use electricity) is about -£417/year.

Because this figure is always negative, I don't tend to bother much about fine tuning something to gain another few pence of income. I have kept track of the car energy use both when using a smart charging system, rather like the way the Zappi works, to try and maximise solar charging, and also since I binned that as being to complex and reverted to a fixed, slower, charge rate for summer daytime charging. So far, using a fixed, slower charge rate, has been marginally "cheaper" than using the smart charging system, although not by enough to be able to say with confidence that it will always be slightly cheaper.

The difference between the two methods is so small though, that I'm not at all convinced that solar smart charging is worth the hassle, and the relatively high cost of a charge point like the Zappi. I didn't need to buy a Zappi, as the instrumentation and telemetry system I built in to the house measures instantaneous true power at the incoming supply and broadcasts this via a 433 MHz radio link to any device that needs it. It was intended to just send data to two devices, the main data logging system (that records things like total and individual appliance energy use, temperatures from a dozen or so locations, CO2 concentration, humidity etc), plus a simple import/export power display we have plugged in to an outlet in the kitchen as an indicator as to when to do things like turn the dishwasher or washing machine on during the summer.

The old version of one of my DIY charge points just used that instantaneous power broadcast to determine when to start and stop car charging during the day, and vary the advertised maximum current to the charger(s), based on a simple algorithm that tried to use a combination of grid and solar power to charge the car if that was cheaper than charging at the overnight cheap rate. It doesn't need much solar to achieve this, just enough to reduce the cost of charging by about 6p to 7p/kWh. For a 10 A charge current, that means that we need about 1 kW of excess solar generation to make it worthwhile. More than 1 kW, up to 2.3 kW, reduces the charging cost below that of the off-peak rate. Over 2.3 kW of excess PV generation means we're "wasting" electricity by exporting to the grid.

For anyone on E7, that has a reasonable size PV system, then having a cheap and simple charge point that is turned on only during the off-peak period for normal charging, and just using the UMC for charging during the summer to utilise excess solar generation, is probably the most cost-effective solution. It will take a heck of a long time to recover the cost of something like a Zappi installation, just from the saving in charging costs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Adopado
That depends on no export meter and feed in tariff?

We will have an export meter and our current tariff only gives a rubbish export rate. It does, however, have 7 hours of cheap rate over night. As we will be using more than we make, then I am not too concerned about the rubbish export and plan to optimise how little we can take from the grid, particularly in peak times. The plan therefore is to optimise charging from the sun during the day and dump all surplus power into the car. Hence going for the zappi.

Obviously I will monitor it very carefully and if it becomes apparent that the strategy was wrong I will change tariff / energy supplier.

I did consider just getting a basic charger to see if I could successfully manage it manually, but if I did that and it didn't work out and I landed up with a Zappi anyway, the cost of the cheap charger would have been wasted, plus the cost of an extra installation. This way round has a slightly higher up front cost, but I hope I am covered and won't need to upgrade.