Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car charging less than max amps at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone! Had my model 3 for a few weeks now and it has started to get colder here in the UK. I noticed the past couple of nights the car has not been charging at 30 amps? It is currently pulling 19/30 (5kwh). On the app you can knock it back up, but I wondered if this was the car doing it on purpose to improve battery health etc, or its just some default setting somewhere thats been set in error as im sure it used to always charge 30/30 until it hit the limit.

For reference i have been keeping it around 50% SoC because dont drive much.

Thanks in advance!

I use a public three phase AC charging near my house 11kW. I noticed quite often lately that the max. amps are somehow set to 15A (10kW) instead of 16A in the phone App and the same in the car.
The car is still on 2021.40.6 software version and Tesla APP is on 4.4.0-810 on iOS.
This sounds to me like a bug in the software or the car limiting the amperage in case is noticing voltage fluctuations to protect the installation. This is how UMC will adjust the amperage when charging from “doggie” 220V socket.
Something to be observed if is changing with new car software updates?

What software version are you on?

I use a public three phase AC charging near my house 11kW. I noticed quite often lately that the max. amps are somehow set to 15A (10kW) instead of 16A in the phone App and the same in the car.
I expect owners of the AC charger did set the maximum amperage to 3x15A. I have already seen such setup. There are some electric tables for diameter of the used cables, its placement, temperature etc. and it could tell them 15A is the maximum permitted limit: (sorry it is in Czech) calculator | tables

I expect owners of the AC charger did set the maximum amperage to 3x15A. I have already seen such setup. There are some electric tables for diameter of the used cables, its placement, temperature etc. and it could tell them 15A is the maximum permitted limit: (sorry it is in Czech) calculator | tables
I used the same charger before and never had this issue. Anyway, in the meantime I got few updates and the “problem” is gone.