Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car coming before my NEMA 14-50 Adapter.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Tomorrow I will become a proud M3 owner. I am thrilled, as well as surprised that my order will arrive a week+ early.

The issue here, is that my 220V NEMA 14-50 adapter won’t arrive for a week or more (I’m told). Are there any other solutions for me that you would beyond charging through the standard outlet?

The closest supercharger is in SLC, as I am up in Midway.

First off ... congrats!! You'll love it.

What size battery are you getting and what is your daily commute? Using a normal 110 outlet you should be able to add about 4 miles or so an hour. So, if your commute is less than 40 or 50 miles and you can charge for at least 10 to 12 hours a day, you should be ok.
If that won't be enough, even though there isn't a supercharger there may be other charging options near you. They'll likely cost a bit more than using your own electricity but should be faster than 110.
Another option would be to check for any destination chargers near you, go enjoy a meal at a restaurant and charge up there once or twice.
Can you charge at work? Even if it's just 110, for an 8 or 9 hour day that'd get you 35 miles or so.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Standard outlet should get you by. Just make sure you plug in right when you get home etc. Letting it charge over the weekend will help. If you have a dryer outlet nearby you could order the adapter for that as well. If you can park and go shopping or while at work at a L2 public charger you will be golden then.

Download the PlugShare app and look around - seems like there are a few local L2 options you could use in a pinch.

5ADFC01F-3ECA-4803-9EF8-7895F639A3A3.png

Reactions: srs5694
I'm in the same boat. Car comes tomorrow. 14-50 will be installed in 2 weeks. I have a couple of L2's in my small town so I will be using 110 at home and the L2 when needed. Wife and I are taking a roadtrip this weekend so will get to try out a Supercharger as there are none in my immediate area. Already having range anxiety !

Congrats! I was recently in the same boat, waiting two weeks for the 14-50 outlet to be installed. You will have no problem if you plug in every night. Should you begin to run out of juice, find your nearest supercharger and use some of you free miles.

@MLB. You also might want to look into signing up for a ChargePoint card (assuming that is the EVSE system most popular in your area). Believe signing up is free but you need the card to charge on the L2 chargers and use your J1772 adapter there (Tesla's don't work on their CCS versions btw). It's good to get acquainted with these other L2 charging systems (non-Tesla HPWC) if you travel at all. PlugShare is a great resource to see what's around you and available by plug type.

Our small town's public parking garage has a few L2 chargers that are free to use for a period of time so that type of situation might help you out too if your city provides it.

I also see from the Tesla site charging map that there are a number of destination HPWCs in your area that are available to patrons. If a hotel, they might have a restaurant or bar inside that might qualify you to use them. We have eaten at a golf club's grill and used their destination charger there.

Last edited: